Post Thanks / Like
    I have had my Camry since September 2006 and I have accumulated several noticeable paint chips and I need your help Autopia!

I have already purchased a touch up kit from paintscratch.com with clearcoat and rubbing compound. Let me know the best method to apply this so I can make it blend it in the best way possible.

These first 3 images are of my hood and there are 3 paint chips. Two large and one small.

ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc00015ee2.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc00019ed0.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc00020bo6.jpg

This is a paint scratch/scrap on my A pillar where the door meets the frame.

ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc00024uy6.jpg

This is my touch up kit. Am I missing anything?

ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc00048wz6.jpg

Thanks in advance Autopia!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you have everything you need. However, I`d suggest you either get a few super fine brushes or even pointed toothpicks. You`ll want to do ONE chip at a time and remember, layer, layer, layer, layer. Oh. Don`t forget to layer. DO NOT try to fill an entire chip all at once. It may take awhile, but if you want great results, it`s the way to go.

Take it from me, I figured out the hard way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t feel like the A pillar scrap is down to the metal or primer, but it shaved off the clear. Have you or anyone used clear? I talked to a local detailer who said the clearcoat was pointless. I am scared that rubbing compound is a far cry from actually wetsanding and polishing clear coat that I apply.

Another thing. The paint pen is designed to be used by itself in applying the paint. Did anyone tape off the edges of the chip? I am worried about getting the right paint level and making it smooth and then making the clear coat blend in as well???

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been reading up on how to approach the touch ups.

I say just follow the direction and if you like, mix the clear coat and the paint for the final layer of paint so it can level out with the surrounding paint.

I have a gouge from some careless verizon worker(1-2inch long) it is through the primer.

I purchased the langka kit but have yet to try it because of the weather (NYC weather is so unpredictable).

just take your time, read up on all the touch up paint threads.

good luck and post the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I have read several however no one mentions if they ever apply clear coat and the best methods to get it to blend in and be smooth. I just find it hard to believe rubbing compound is going to help at all get the paint smooth or the clear??

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you read this yet?

Repairing Chips & Scratches

I highly suggest you get yourself one or two grades of the Unigrit blocks for the job. They`re not the cheapest things, but you want to do this job right. Soak them overnight before use.

Don`t try to rush things and do everything in the first go around. Practice on one or two of the chips in less obvious places first, perhaps lower down on the car if possible. Improve your technique on those, then move on.

Or just take Accumulator`s approach: "Real cars have paint chips"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by velobard
    Have you read this yet?

Repairing Chips & Scratches

I highly suggest you get yourself one or two grades of the Unigrit blocks for the job. They`re not the cheapest things, but you want to do this job right. Soak them overnight before use.

Don`t try to rush things and do everything in the first go around. Practice on one or two of the chips in less obvious places first, perhaps lower down on the car if possible. Improve your technique on those, then move on.

Or just take Accumulator`s approach: "Real cars have paint chips"

Thanks for pointing out that article. Could you let me know where I could find those Unigrit blocks? Don`t I need to buy a polish to polish out what the block does?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve seen them occasionally at body shop supply houses, but it`s a toss-up on whether they`ll have them or what grits they`ll have in stock. Better to order online. I don`t have a particular link handy, but a quick google search should turn up a few options.

Yes, you`ll need some decent compound or polish (depending on how you`re defining those terms) to get rid of the scratches, just as the link describes. Some of the better polishes tell you what you can expect, such as the ability to polish out 2000 grit sanding marks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any other hints or tricks?! This has been very helpful!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just layer the touch up paint with toothpicks until i get a blob slightly higher than surface. Then i wet sand with 1500 grit then 2000 grit. i wrap the sandpaper over a pencil eraser on a new pencil then tape it around the shaft. Pretty much use it like an eraser. Then rubbing compound, swirl remover, polish. Forget the clearcoat it`s a waste. I learned this technique online from someone who did a write up one it. Don`t remember who or where though. I did two chips on my hood and realized i need to get it repainted. The whole front of the hood/bumper is speckled with rock chips. I thought i could do a bunch of the larger ones and clean it up some but there`s too many tiny ones. Oh well. They were there when i bought the car. Lots of freeway/highway/tailgating i guess.

But you should be able to correct your imperfections without too much trouble.

Oh yeah don`t forget to clean out the rock chips before you start layering the touch up paint. I used q-tips and isophoric alcohol.

Good luck man.

Creating Parking Lot Envy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottFern
    Any other hints or tricks?! This has been very helpful!

I have one trick/process that may help you out.

When you are ready to apply the paint I dab the paint pen tip into a plastic bottle cap forming a dot of paint. Then I use an eye dropper and drop in paint thinner about a third the size of the paint dot. Mix together and apply your first coats. Easy for me to work with.

I find that the paint pen paint is just a little too thick so I mix in paint thinner to help me avoid the Blob of paint that is not easy to work with.

I practice this process on my wheel barrow to get the ease of use I want before each different car I need to touch up. My wheel barrow has all my practice areas. I just get a nail to make a new practice area. This works for me and I practice with the clear applications also.

Al

Thread Information