Thread: First rock chip

Post Thanks / Like
    didnt take long lol, its always the first one that hurts, almost directly in the middle of the hood lip, anyways i picked up the touch up paint from dealer, it`s the pen type w CC on one end and paint on the other, i havent used the "felt tip" ones before, is it a no brainer to use, or is there a technique to it? thxs

Post Thanks / Like
    Scroll down a ways in the following "how to" link for some good info. Instead of the felt tip you might want to use a small artist`s brush or a toothpick for more precise application of the paint. I think you could use the paint pen you have to apply some in a small bottle cap and then dip the brush in that. Meg`s Unigrit is also the best paper to use when you wet sand.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-p...sh-clinic.html

Here is another sourch for paint and they also have some tips on their website:

http://www.paintscratch.com/
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    thxs, ill check it out

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry - the first ding, scratch, chip or whatever is really tough and often cures the new car fever. But hang on and take care of your investments! Little chips are like stuff... and stuff happens. A little dap of touch up paint and nobody (okay, except you) will notice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Heheh...I definetly have this "new car fever" you speak of. Its rough, i tell ya...

Post Thanks / Like
    the first, second and third, etc.. always hurt ! unfortunately it`s inevitable, your going to get them sooner or later....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeysdad
    Sorry - the first ding, scratch, chip or whatever is really tough and often cures the new car fever.

New car fever is what it`s called? I had it bad! Now I`m dealing with the chips.:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    OUch!

how big is the chip? Mabye you need 3m clear bra installed. I have it on my `07 Outback and never regreted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my 2007 Lexus ES350 in Oct. By January and 2500 miles it had 5 rock chips on the front of the car (two on the hood and 3 on the bumper.

I repaired them with touchup paint from the dealer and a Lanka kit.

Then I took it to have a 3M clear bra put on the front bumper, front of hood, mirrors and inside door handles. I wish I had it done when I bought the car. It looks great (hardly can see it) and I haven`t had any more chips after sever trips down the interstate.

It`ll be on the list of do`s for any other new cars I get in the future. Kind of expensive though.

From most all angles this is how it looks, and yes, there is a clear bra there:

Post Thanks / Like
    A slightly closer view of the line is pictured below. It was a custom cut install, not a kit, so the edges are rolled around the hood so there are less lines that show.

As far as repairing your chip. I would leave the "blob" a little thick and consider something like the Lanka (spelling may be wrong) kit to smooth the blob flat. You`ll want it flat if you shold ever have a bra put on any car in the future.

Line:

Thread Information