Post Thanks / Like
    Getting ready to apply OptiCoat in about 3 to 4 weeks. Nissan Murrano was Repainted back in Mid August and will be doing some final clean up on the job in a few weeks.

I think I have finally decided to do my final finish work with Optimum Products after kicking around a few others (Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish / Black Fire Gloss Enhancing Polish / Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 / HD Polish)

I will be working with a PC DAXP and have LC Orange, White, Black and Red Pads. What does anyone think of my correction steps. Would appreciate feed back

1. Wash and Clay

2. Wolfgang Swirl Remover / LC orange pad

3. HD Uno OR ...

4. Just jump right from the Swirl Remover to Optimums Finish Polish (either on an LC White Pad)

5. Now here is where I do not know ... Can I follow Optimum Finish Polish with Optimum Hyper Polish Spray ... or does the spray get used before the Finish Polish ... or should I just skip Hyper Polish Spray? If Hyper Spray I will use the Black pad.

6. Finally, before OptiCoat and after Optimum Finish Polish or Hyper Spray Polish ... do I need to wash again or just IP wipe.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been written that if one uses HP there is no need for ipa wipedown. My last step, after doing correction would be to use HP with a black pad, remove residue, OPT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks !! ... OPT?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use any Optimum Polish prior to OptiiCoat and your OK. You still want to wipe down with at least 20% IPA IMHO, although Optimum says water is fine.

I would stick to one line of Optimum polishes. Either the Hyper or regular lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    HD CUT to polish out the swirls >>>> HD Polish to make things perfect >>>

The oils in HD Polish are extremely thin and easy to remove. I have been doing a heavy alcohol bath after final polishing and then going over it with Optimum No Rinse(ONR) and then going right the Opti-Coat. ONR removes the lingering broken up oils that may be on the finish easily. It also makes the surface smoother so your applicator can glide over the surface easier. Many people have reported that this has also dramatically reduced smearing/streaks too.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    The key when using the Optimum Hyper line is to WORK them into oblivion... I am not kidding....work until clear then wipe away. If you have an oily finish then you did not work them long enough.

Polish small, maybe 2x2 areas until you can see paint through a thin layer of residue. Wipe remaining then clean paint. We always do a pre wipe of alcohol even though it may not be necessary.
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    SO IF ....

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    HD CUT to polish out the swirls >>>> HD Polish to make things perfect >>>

... Where Does the New HD Uno v4 fit in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I finish with Optimum Hyper Polish (harder paints) and HD Polish (softer paints) both of which have very little oil content. And then I wash with ONR v3 (not Wash and Wax) before applying the coating. And even on cars I did 4 years ago as of this summer, the coatings are holding up well.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
    The key when using the Optimum Hyper line is to WORK them into oblivion... I am not kidding....work until clear then wipe away. If you have an oily finish then you did not work them long enough.

Polish small, maybe 2x2 areas until you can see paint through a thin layer of residue. Wipe remaining then clean paint. We always do a pre wipe of alcohol even though it may not be necessary.

Anthony -You bring up a great point. If you have an average sized vehicle, how long would it take you to go over the entire vehicle properly) with OP?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MRM1

... Where Does the New HD Uno v4 fit in.

In between CUT & Polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    David, But some have said Cut then Polish. Is Uno no longer necessary ... or would you just use it if you did not need so much "cut".

Post Thanks / Like
    So wondering, would HD Cut be an equivalent substitute for Megs M100 in this project? Or would Cut be more or less of a cut than M100. Would it work rather than M100

How to remove Orange Peel using a Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems a lot of guys are doing ONR wipedowns before applying OptiCoat. Don`t the slick polymers left behind from the ONR inhibit the bonding of the OptiCoat? I thought the surface had to be clean, including polymer free?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth
    It seems a lot of guys are doing ONR wipedowns before applying OptiCoat. Don`t the slick polymers left behind from the ONR inhibit the bonding of the OptiCoat? I thought the surface had to be clean, including polymer free?

I`ve talked to Dave at Optimum and he has assured me (and my own testing gives the same results) that Opti-Coat is fully compatible with ONR and the added slickness ONR leaves behind makes it easier to apply Opti-Coat because the paint isn`t grabby.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    David, But some have said Cut then Polish. Is Uno no longer necessary ... or would you just use it if you did not need so much "cut".

Quite honestly, (for me), after HD Cut came out, I really haven`t needed to use much UNO. Cut does everything it does and much, much more.

So wondering, would HD Cut be an equivalent substitute for Megs M100 in this project? Or would Cut be more or less of a cut than M100. Would it work rather than M100

How to remove Orange Peel using a Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

I`ve used these Car-Pro pads with HD Cut and they work excellent. The lubes are very user friendly and allow you to see through them to monitor progress while working.

Thread Information