Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used the lowes GS to wash my car for a while now, and I do a pre-rinse sponging using no pressure except the weight of the wet sponge itself and a constant spray of water pressure.

One short swipe per side of sponge, then rinse it out good in a bucket after every side has been used.

I`ve done tile grouting before, and the same method applies when washing tiles.

The sponge traps a lot of grout sand that you have to bang out when the sponge is dry. So it should have no problem picking up dirt on car paint.

However, since wiping with a sponge mainly picks up dirt on the leading edge of the sponge, you should not make too long of a swipe unless you use a rolling motion while you swipe so that dirt gets trapped in the whole surface of the sponge, rather than just the leading edge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    I`ll stick to the sponges, plain, not cut up sponges. Whatever works and whatever feels right brother!

The advantage of not cutting the sponge is that there`s no gap for big debris to get stuck in. The advantage of cutting the sponge is that it makes the sponge effectively softer on the paint at any given point. Put a cut sponge - I recommend the cuts be almost halfway through and a half inch apart - on a flat surface cut side up and an uncut sponge next to it. Push into the two sponges with equal force with just one finger - you`ll go much deeper into the one that`s cut. if you put both sponges against the car on a curved panel, you`ll see the contact patch of the cut sponge is larger than the contact sponge of the uncut sponge - equal force being applied of course.

I`m sitting here typing this thinking I have way too much time on my hands.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    If you use a grout sponge, cut a diamond pattern into one side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information