Post Thanks / Like
    I need a 12 guage extn. cord for my Flex 3401 because I hear a a 14 guage cord wont be able to handle the voltage.

Lowes has a 12 guage 100 ft "Yellow Jacket" Brand extn cord for $65 and also some generic brand 100ft 12 guage cord on clearance for $50. Yes, I need a 100ft.

Cant decide which to choose because I heard some people swear by yellow jackets. They were a lot more flexible than the generic ones.

Please help me decide and share your thoughts, experiences, and suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fifteen bucks would not prevent me from getting the best cord. I would go to the store and feel them both. You might like the cheaper one better.

Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC, the yellow jackets (made by woods) have a lifetime warranty. another option (can`t remember the price) would be to get the ridgid cords that can be found at HD which also carry a lifetime warranty as well...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I mean the Yellow jacket has a more thicker jacket but at the same time its is more flexible.

Al, I did check out HD too. The Rigid ones are covered with a thin jacket as well. I`m inly guessing that the jacket on the cords = durability.

any yellow jacket users?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have two 50 foot heavy duty cables. Don`t know which brand they are, but I bought both at Home Depot and they are yellow. Work great and have the little light indicating a circuit at the female end.

4 years of abuse. No problems.

Extension cords are just extension cords. I`m sure you could buy some heavy duty ones at walmart or spend 100 dollars on the finest available and they both would serve you well. But, the nicer ones might be a bit more durable.

For OP, are you going to use a reel for it? If not, why not use two 50 foot cables instead to increase their overall utility?
    You`re only as good as your last job.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are different kinds of insulation, there is the thermoplastic rubber which is more flexible, especially at low temperatures, and the vinyl, which I guess is tougher but it gets pretty stiff in the cold.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve burned up my cheap orange ones with my carpet extractor so my extractor gets the yellow jackets and pc,rotary get orange cheap ones

Post Thanks / Like
    Wicho661,

Ya I `ve been thinking about getting a reel for it too. Would reeling it in regularly wear it out?

My most prominent concern is to not have my Flex burn up the cord becuase of say 9 hrs of constant polishing...

more experiences suggestions welcome..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mystickid
    Wicho661,

Ya I `ve been thinking about getting a reel for it too. Would reeling it in regularly wear it out?

My most prominent concern is to not have my Flex burn up the cord becuase of say 9 hrs of constant polishing...

more experiences suggestions welcome..

I think the orange hd cord would be fine, put it in comparsion my extractor with heater, and two vaccums is pulling close to 40amps out of two cords. Pretty sure not buffer is gonna pull that

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mystickid
    I need a 12 guage extn. cord for my Flex 3401 because I hear a a 14 guage cord wont be able to handle the voltage.

Save your money.

Your Flex draws about 8 amps @120volts. A 16 gauge, 100ft cord will be fine.

I wouldn`t want to be dragging that heavy wire around, while I was trying to maneuver around the car.

If you were running a circular saw, then yes, you would need a 12 gauge cord.

The internal wiring of your house is mostly 14 gauge w/ 15 amp capacity breakers.

BD

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got a 50` Yellow Jacket and I love it. I`m very happy with the purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonDuce
    Save your money.

Your Flex draws about 8 amps @120volts. A 16 gauge, 100ft cord will be fine.

I wouldn`t want to be dragging that heavy wire around, while I was trying to maneuver around the car.

If you were running a circular saw, then yes, you would need a 12 gauge cord.

The internal wiring of your house is mostly 14 gauge w/ 15 amp capacity breakers.

BD

X2 - I use my flex all day with a 16 gauge 100 footer and never had an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys.

Thread Information