Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Post Thanks / Like
    Where is the best place (typically) to buy distilled water in large quantities/cheap? I have been meaning to ask this for a while, and I think I found the perfect thread

Post Thanks / Like
    How effective are these steam cleaners when cleaning an engine?

I`ve seen some demo vids of the commercial units making dirt/grime come off like nothing. I like that it can reach in tight spots were brushes or wash medias can`t get too.

Is the steam pressure the only difference between the big boys and the cheaper units?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never tried using my steam cleaner in my engine yet because P21S TAW, a little agitation, and a rinse has always worked for me. It is definitely nice though that it can reach places where your brush can`t but with the right degreaser, it should work.

As for the differences between the commercial and consumer units, total performance is the difference between them.
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Denzil
    As for the differences between the commercial and consumer units, total performance is the difference between them.

Yes but wouldn`t you agree that "performance" translates into to the amount of pressure a unit will produce? Or perhaps the amount of vapor steam it shoots versus the amount of water?

I`d also like to see if a steamer could turn my leather/faux carbon fiber wrapped steering wheel back to a MATTE finish opposed to its current glossy finish caused by the oils of my hands over the years.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been reading through this thread and researching other places online as well. Want to get your guys` input on the ones I am seeing on Amazon. I am planning on mainly just using this on my car for engine bay, undercarriage, etc. However, I am sure I will be using this around the house as well.

This one that is portable, seems to have a good array of attachments, and heats up pretty quick.

Amazon.com: McCulloch MC1246 Portable 1500-Watt Power Steam Cleaner: Home & Garden

These two seem to be the same and (I believe) is the one everyone is talking about having. Bigger capacity, I think more attachments, and obviously a little more money.

Amazon.com: McCulloch MC-1275 Heavy Duty Steam Cleaner: Home & Garden

Amazon.com: SteamFast SF-275 SteamMax Steam Cleaner: Home & Garden

Will I get different performance from the two or is capacity the main difference? Which one would you guys recommend? Or is there another steam cleaner out there you guys would recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

First off, thanks for all the input as it made my shopping very easy. I too have been kicking around getting one of these for the car as well as odd jobs around the house. i just picked up the MyteeLite II 8020 which is simply AWESOME and wanted to add a steamer to the arsenal. Since I dropped some $$ on the extractor I decided I`d try to save a few bucks and get something cheap to start out with. I ended up getting the Wagner 905 which is exactly the same as the Steam Fast, and McCulloch everyone is talking about. I think that Steam Fast oem`s these for all the brands. At any rate, I got it at my local Lowe`s for $99. I too was quite shocked at the quality feel of it right out of the box. I have not used it on the car yet but just ran over the grout in our foyer and HOLY S^&T what a difference! I never realized how dirty it was but it powered right through it. I got carried away and tried the floor brush/pad on our kitchen floor and that too came out spotless. So far I`m very impressed with the performance and the amount of steam it puts out. I only put in about 32 oz of water and it took about 8 minutes or so to get up to temp. I`m going to finish all the grout tomorrow and then give it a test run on my cars. I already ordered up a couple more sets of brushes and pads. I`m planning on ordering a couple triangle brushes off the Steam Fast site as mine didn`t come with one. All in all, I`d say this is definitely worth the $100 price tag but only time will tell on how well it holds up. I`ll post up some results when I get to the cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthrassat1.8T- Glad you like your new steamer!

I`d take a moment to run some vinegar through it now and then, at least if you`re using tap water in it. I failed to do that (or use DI or distilled water) and my carelessness came back to bite me in the form of a major steamer repair bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I`m planning on running distilled or at least purified water. I still will do a descale periodically as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question.

The steamer shoots out steam, which as it cools will turn into water. What do you do with the water, beter yet where does it go?

For example if cleaning the inside of your windshield with a squeege attachement. WIll water be running down your windshield as you squeege? There are ALOT of electronics behind the dash that I would not want to get wet.

Carpets if you steam the carpet wouldn`t the steam turn into water and soak in requiring you to shop vac it out?

It just seems like the water running into crevices in the dash or under/behind seats that you could not get to to dry would be more of an issue. The seats look great but you have a huge rust hole in the floorboard type thing is what keeps crossing my mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    01TrublUGT- While there are a lot of variables (setting used on the steamer, technique, material being steamed, environmental conditions), it`s usually possible to minimize the residual/condensed water and/or deal with it easily enough.

The steam is usually mighty "dry" for water (vapor), it`s kinda surprising how little of an issue this really is. Have some cotton towels on hand to shield/soak up/blot/whatever with and I bet you`ll find it`s not a big deal.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread Information