Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    :chuckle: Can someone just tell me how they apply it and get the leathers clean? I have a detail and leather is dirty. Trying out woolite. I know scottwax uses it, if you could stop by scott and give your technique, that would be great

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mix it up 10:1 (10 water:1 woolite) in a squirt bottle. Then, mist it onto the leather, and wipe with a microfiber towel.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may have to scrub with a brush if very dirty. Also you can go up to 6 to one if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea i got it mixed, but just `wiping it off` i dont think will cut it, what do i scrub off with

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I typically use a 1:5 mix in a spray bottle and use a small, soft fingernail brush and immediately wipe up with a clean MF towel. I also use the Leatherique duo, but that`s far more involved and ain`t no quickee!

FWIW, Woolite is an excellent MP cleaner that doesn`t get the cleaning credit it deserves.

Post Thanks / Like
    In terms of scrubbing leather - I have found that a short napped MF towel, or a white (so there is no ink transfer) terry towel does fine. The terry has a little more bite to it. One of these 2 has always done the trick for me - and I have run across a couple of pigs here recently too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use woolite with either the horsehair brush you get you with you shoe polishing kits or a damp terry cloth towel.
    Just trying to keep my family`s cars clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    From a well respected (in my book) source.........

Woolite® has a number of issues that do not lend to long term quality care of interior car parts and components. Using a detergent that is meant to be flush rinsed (i.e. rinsed until it runs clear) in a situation were this is not possible, is not recommended as when it dries it will attract dirt and contribute to re-soiling. Household detergent soaps tend to be formulated with a sodium sulphate to enable foaming, this salt content may not be safe to use on leather upholstery, as this can compromise pigmented leather and / or its polyurethane covering.

In all honesty, i have never used it, but have heard it recommended so many times, i fell into the trap of recommending it myself. This was/is rather uncommon for me, and pretty uncharacteristic of my business practices as well.

Personally, i have always used a dedicated leather cleaner or just a damp microfiber towel.
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    From a well respected (in my book) source.........

Woolite® has a number of issues that do not lend to long term quality care of interior car parts and components. Using a detergent that is meant to be flush rinsed (i.e. rinsed until it runs clear) in a situation were this is not possible, is not recommended as when it dries it will attract dirt and contribute to re-soiling. Household detergent soaps tend to be formulated with a sodium sulphate to enable foaming, this salt content may not be safe to use on leather upholstery, as this can compromise pigmented leather and / or its polyurethane covering.

In all honesty, i have never used it, but have heard it recommended so many times, i fell into the trap of recommending it myself. This was/is rather uncommon for me, and pretty uncharacteristic of my business practices as well.

Personally, i have always used a dedicated leather cleaner or just a damp microfiber towel.

Direct from on of the largest suppliers of automotive leather:

Eagle Ottawa Leather Company :Leather Care

Automotive leather is typically finished with coatings which protect the surface from the sun`s damaging rays as well making it resistant to soiling. The finishes used in automotive upholstery leather are unique – much different than furniture, garment or shoe leathers. Leather is extremely resilient and easy to clean and maintain.

Before cleaning leather upholstery, vacuum it to remove dust. To clean leather, simply use a clean, soft and lint-free cloth dampened with lukewarm water and mild soap. Use a gentle, circular motion – do not rub the leather or apply extreme pressure when cleaning.

Wipe the leather again with another clean, slightly damp cloth to remove soap residue. Dry with a soft cloth.

To maintain its resiliency, leather should be cleaned whenever it becomes soiled. Dust and dirt may harm leather if allowed to work into the finish.

Woolite is about as mild as it gets. Lexus specifically recommends using a wool safe detergent (20:1 dillution) in their owner`s manual.

I got the Woolite tip directly from the leather care tag attached to headrest in a customer`s Cadillac-and at the time, Woolite was specifically recommended. Been using it on customers and my own cars since 1995 with absolutely no issues.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Been using it on customers and my own cars since 1995 with absolutely no issues - Scottwax

Scott, so you are saying you have used it safely in 2 or 3 cars? LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Direct from on of the largest suppliers of automotive leather:

Eagle Ottawa Leather Company :Leather Care

Automotive leather is typically finished with coatings which protect the surface from the sun`s damaging rays as well making it resistant to soiling. The finishes used in automotive upholstery leather are unique – much different than furniture, garment or shoe leathers. Leather is extremely resilient and easy to clean and maintain.

Before cleaning leather upholstery, vacuum it to remove dust. To clean leather, simply use a clean, soft and lint-free cloth dampened with lukewarm water and mild soap. Use a gentle, circular motion – do not rub the leather or apply extreme pressure when cleaning.

Wipe the leather again with another clean, slightly damp cloth to remove soap residue. Dry with a soft cloth.

To maintain its resiliency, leather should be cleaned whenever it becomes soiled. Dust and dirt may harm leather if allowed to work into the finish.

Woolite is about as mild as it gets. Lexus specifically recommends using a wool safe detergent (20:1 dillution) in their owner`s manual.

I got the Woolite tip directly from the leather care tag attached to headrest in a customer`s Cadillac-and at the time, Woolite was specifically recommended. Been using it on customers and my own cars since 1995 with absolutely no issues.
    Nice come back my friend..........lol

Dangit, Im just going to stick with a water dampened MF!
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh...information exchange without hostility. How come all threads can`t be this civil and still provide GREAT infomation? Thanks to Scottwax for not only putting this to bed, but tucking it in and reading it a bedtime story...I`m copy/paste this page refference Scott cause I know it`ll come up again=either on a forum or by a customer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by integritydetail
    Ahh...information exchange without hostility. How come all threads can`t be this civil and still provide GREAT infomation? Thanks to Scottwax for not only putting this to bed, but tucking it in and reading it a bedtime story...I`m copy/paste this page refference Scott cause I know it`ll come up again=either on a forum or by a customer.

That`s how it should be in these forums, hehe. :up
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

You WILL like my work! jayjacque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate civility also. Very cool. One other thing (not to belabor this) but when you`ve got very ground in dirt, it is sometimes a little harder to just wipe out, so a brush or something with a cleaner in it like woolite or dedicated cleaner is in order. Followed by a conditioner helps to keep from attracting more dirt I think

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE

Woolite® has a number of issues that do not lend to long term quality care of interior car parts and components. Using a detergent that is meant to be flush rinsed (i.e. rinsed until it runs clear) in a situation were this is not possible, is not recommended as when it dries it will attract dirt and contribute to re-soiling. Household detergent soaps tend to be formulated with a sodium sulphate to enable foaming, this salt content may not be safe to use on leather upholstery, as this can compromise pigmented leather and / or its polyurethane covering.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with this.

jayjacque `Conditioning` is likely to add to the problem of resoiling and not help it.

Protecting is a more up to date and professional approach.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information