Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got the sampler pack from FK a few weeks ago and tried out most of the products. I also got a gallon of the wheel cleaner and it’s very good. It leaves a clean and bright surface.

The folks at FK recommended the following sequence: #1119>#118SC>#215>#303>#2180>Pink wax. Now, let’s keep things in perspective: this is my daily driver. It’s an aging 1995 GM H body car with 150k miles and I’m not willing to commit hours of labor. It’s just not worth it and the good cars need attention, too, which takes priority.

I checked my maintenance log and this car has not had any work since last fall. I have applied OCW, and more recently, Duragloss spray wax (which is appears to have amazing durability and still beading like mad months later). I knew I had to strip off previous products. Te paint still looked great following a weekly washing, but the surface is dirty/rough to the touch.

I used these steps: #1119>#118SC>#215>#2180 on the entire vehicle. I used the #303 on the horizontal surfaces as they are dulled by acid rain and have loads of scratches courtesy of other folks setting their garbage on my car.

The #1119 decontamination/stripper is noteworthy. You mix the stuff up 1:4. I misted it on the car and let it sit for a few minutes. You could clearly see where it cut through layers of previously applied products. I did have a little streaking and that was removed during follow up steps. This product appears to be an excellent find and quickly assists in getting old layers removed and cleaning off much road debris. It almost eliminates the need for claying.

Next step was their #118SC car wash/pH neutralizer. An ounce or two added to wash bucket yields a foamy bath. I guess this product is supposed to help “neutralize†the previous decontamination step.

I think used a coarse foam pad to apply the #215 which appears to be a fine standalone one-step. Easy on/easy off. None of the products I used generate any dust. The #215 did an adequate cleaning job and left the surface reasonably glossy. I probably would have quit here but the fellow at FK suggested a few more steps. Remember, this is a tired daily driver.

I used #303 (foam polishing pad) on the trunk and hood hoping to fill some scratches. While the product didn’t appear to be terribly successful at hiding scratches (see picture), it did add tremendous clarity and gloss to the paint. I found the result very pleasing.

My expectation was high for the #2180 LSP. I was little disappointed to find it added no further gloss to the surfaces treated with #215. In fact, it may have slightly dulled or clouded the cleaned surfaces. So, I was a bit frustrated. Time will tell. With this car my primary focus is longevity through the next six months. If it holds up well, I’ll say the product performed satisfactorily.

I did a coat of Pink wax on the hood. It’s your basic poly/carnauba blend. Very easy to work with, high reflectivity and lots of bright. I suspect it will hold up. Seems comparable to products I’ve used in the past.

I scrubbed the heavy rubber strips on the doors with the #108 protectant and was able to really work it into the grooves. It dramatically improved the appearance. I hope it lasts.

I’ve used the #425 for the past week or two. This is their poly “QD†product. It has tremendous slickness and appears to leave some protection (purists may not like this characteristic from their QD). I love this stuff on glass and black chrome found on newer cars. One of the best products of its type.

Products I like so far and will repeat purchase: #1119, #118SC, #221D (wheel cleaner) and the #425. I like the #303 foam pad glaze a lotâ€not sure if it’s significantly different compared to other glazes I have sitting on my shelf.

Product not sampled; #121 (APC)

There are no “before†pictures. It was dark when I started.

Aquapel applied to windshield, RAINX applied to all other glass.

This car represents an era where GM was working thru another experimental phase with paintwork ...and guess who`s the test pilot. You see these cars on the road with massive areas, primarily horizontal surfaces, having shed their paint. This car has lived outside most of its life. It is garaged now. I try to wash it weekly and it still cleans up pretty good. Acid rain damage to the roof is quite noticeable. I haven`t been able to improve it, but will admit I haven`t tried that hard. I am at the point where I just try to keep the rust at bay since this car sees all the bad weather and the good car can be kept clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, I must admit, you make me sad. What happened to my glorious combination of AIO topped with #845 IW that you grew to love for winter prep?!

Nice write up! I`m a huge fan of #425 and PW. I bought the decon system but haven`t used it. Did you wipe it around on the surface or just spritz, let stand, then rinse off? Can it get on plastics, chrome, rubber and glass?

Too bad about the 2180. I have some but haven`t used it.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spilchy
    Tom, I must admit, you make me sad. What happened to my glorious combination of AIO topped with #845 IW that you grew to love for winter prep?!

Hey, no reason to be sad! I was probably stripping off last year`s coat of AIO/#845 combo which performed exceedingly well !! It was my original game plan to repeat this season `til somebody told me to grab the sampler pack when ordering the wheel cleaner :nixweiss

I mixed the decon stuff in a spray bottle. I wetted the car with the hose and then walked around misting this decon spray on the painted surfaces. I didn`t spray it on the glass but it was sort of breezy as I was doing it and some likely ended up on the glass. I didn`t see any issues/concerns with that.

I let it dwell for 5 mins and then took a mitt and wiped the entire car and then rinsed. This is their suggested procedure. Followed up the #118SC car wash.

Yeah, the #425 is product worth checking out :2thumbs: Cool stuff.

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    Hey, no reason to be sad! I was probably stripping off last year`s coat of AIO/#845 combo which performed exceedingly well !! It was my original game plan to repeat this season `til somebody told me to grab the sampler pack when ordering the wheel cleaner :nixweiss

I mixed the decon stuff in a spray bottle. I wetted the car with the hose and then walked around misting this decon spray on the painted surfaces. I didn`t spray it on the glass but it was sort of breezy as I was doing it and some likely ended up on the glass. I didn`t see any issues/concerns with that.

I let it dwell for 5 mins and then took a mitt and wiped the entire car and then rinsed. This is their suggested procedure. Followed up the #118SC car wash.

Yeah, the #425 is product worth checking out :2thumbs: Cool stuff.

I too have tried and like all of FK`s lineup. Tom, what was you opinion of the decon process? Notice and difference?

As for 425, it is simply awesome. Last weeks longer than Rain-X on my windows. I even put it on inside and out. Awesome topper after washing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, please check the clarity again after 2-3 days. I`m curious what you`ll see.

Yes, the Foam Pad Glaze is a strange product. It has surprising and honest cut, and is able to refine the finish to a higher level. When I first used it, I thought that it contributed less to the final look than I`d have liked. But when I compared the panels, it definitely added gloss and richness. I think it is the VM-step of the FK1 glazes and 300 might be the RMG, but I haven`t tried it yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by justin30513

As for 425, it is simply awesome. Last weeks longer than Rain-X on my windows. I even put it on inside and out. Awesome topper after washing.

I think I have just the first part of the decon system. I like it and I`m gonna get a bigger bottle of it. I can see it as a great time-saver as it is quite capable of stripping off not only wax, but does a very respectable job removing much of the garbage the car picks up during the hot, summer months (gum, tar, etc.). I have used Meg`s APC+ in the past for de-waxing. This #1119 is clearly more potent.

The follow up #118SC car wash seemed good. I don`t know that I`d reach for it as my weekly wash - - I think the other mainstream products I have provide superior lubricity. I will note that they tout the anti-corrision quality of their car wash which may appeal to some. They also suggest it offers superior water-softening capability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks nice. I also like the 118, 108, 425. Still have a few other products to checkout in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spilchy, The #883 (FK1 PD Stage 2) is fine with plastics & trim etc once the product is not allowed to dry on the surface. I do two applications 5 mins apart, wiped over the surface rather than just left by itself. Then shampoo washed to neutralise / remove same, then rinsed thoroughly so none remains trapped anywhere, especially behind trim etc.

The only downside to their sampler kit (for winter protection at least) is they give Pink Wax which is ideal for the spring & summer months, but the #1000P Hi-Temp is a much better option for winter time.

I would go with #215 & #1000P or alternatively #2180 & #1000P as a quick two step process.

Post Thanks / Like
    That has got to be the cleanest 95` Buick out there! Looks like the tires and fenderwells need a little love, though. I, too, recently got the FK sampler pack and find everything that I have tried from them to be top notch. Will definitely order more. I really like the 118SC, simply the best wash I have used. Once again, car looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bence, did you ever try out "Lift" by Concept Chemicals www.conceptchemicals.com - Another Fallout remover which is more readily available for us in Europe (which makes a change!). The only downside to these washes are that they are not much good when it comes to tackling more stubborn tar deposits. The traditional removal products and clay bars will always have their place.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I havent tried it, but I`ll look into.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom P.- Good job, nice to see your dd getting some attention

Also nice to see somebody using a decontamination system, good to do the "fresh start" approach from time to time IMO. I too am considering having a spare jug of the step one (AutoInt`s "A" in my case) handy for quick stripping-type washes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work Tom. That decontaminant product everyone is commenting on sure sounds interesting for fresh starts as accumulator mentioned. Does dawn washing not entirely remove remaining lsps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightman
    Does dawn washing not entirely remove remaining lsps?

I`ve done some side-by-side testing with Dawn and a few other products. This FK product is the most potent I`ve seen. I have had only partial success using Dawn as a stripper. It`s nice to be able to reach for a dedicated product that quickly removes earlier products so you can re-establish your baseline and have confidence you`re working on a "fresh" surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    The weather is lousy here for the next few days. I`ll get another picture or two this coming weekend - -weather permitting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information