Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    After a quick talk with Neil at PhaseII I was able to toggle between mils and microns...he`d left one line (" then push the `zero` button") out of the manual.

But when I tried to recalibrate/ test its calibration, I got *wildly* divergent readouts. Neil walked me through the process over the phone to make sure I wasn`t doing something wrong, but I kept getting inconsistent results. So my PhaseII ETG is on its way back for a looking-over.

Lesson: as soon as you get one of these things, start working with it and don`t hesitate to call them if you have problems. BTW Neil is a nice guy and doesn`t condescend to people who are newbies to the ETG.

I`ll post back when I get it back from them.

Post Thanks / Like
    For all of you that are following this thread still.

I contacted Highline.com which makes a paint gauge that is identical to the Phase II in my opinion. I called them to confirm and it surely seems so, yet it costs 280 with shipping.

We can buy 2 for 499$ with shipping. Anybody interested?

these have a elcometer warranty of 3 years too.

cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg,

Might be interested in 2 months or so if this meter is indeed the PTG II Model. Otherwise I`d go for the PTGII with the Probe, seems like a great first PTG meter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the HIGHLINE PTG and played with it yesterday some. It seems to be very good and the price is great.

I want to hear Accumlators review on the Phase II meter also.

I found some areas on my own car that are 4.2 mills, and one spot that is 23mills

cheers,

GREG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols
    I bought the HIGHLINE PTG and played with it yesterday some. It seems to be very good and the price is great.

I want to hear Accumlators review on the Phase II meter also.

I found some areas on my own car that are 4.2 mills, and one spot that is 23mills

cheers,

GREG

Arg!! I`m just coming back to this thread because I`m about to purchase one myself.

Whats that saying, a day late and..

Post Thanks / Like
    a dollar short ..

I don`t find this justified for a DIY`er that isn`t a by day detailer.. I`d love to have one, but I really just need to know the condition of my clear as is, and I could go from there.

That said, any ideas on how to perhaps find someone locally that might have one of these that I could bring the car by and get some measurements real quick?

Hrmm

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^

If you have to compound your car yearly you might want to reconsider. I was shocked how thin my paint was in areas.

If you do anyones car your flirting with disaster, one mistake and you`re repainting it for far more than the cost of the meter.

That said, I understand this is a bit much for the DIY and a orbital. If you rotary or use wetstanding.........

I found that even most of the body shops in the area don`t use one!!!!! I suggest you hit up the local quality body shops for measurements.

Cheers,

GREG

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^

If you have to compound your car yearly you might want to reconsider. I was shocked how thin my paint was in areas.

If you do anyones car your flirting with disaster, one mistake and you`re repainting it for far more than the cost of the meter.

That said, I understand this is a bit much for the DIY and a orbital. If you rotary or use wetstanding.........

I found that even most of the body shops in the area don`t use one!!!!! I suggest you hit up the local quality body shops for measurements.

Cheers,

GREG

What do you consier thin? At what point would you not want to continue wet sanding or buffing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wren
    What do you consier thin? At what point would you not want to continue wet sanding or buffing?

Gotta have a baseline to start with, then you can remove ~0.03-0.05 mils total (period, for ever). And that`s not much.

I`ve overthinned the clear on my e36 BMW doing correction that I didn`t think all *that* extreme, and most of my vehicles have marring I`m afraid to completely remove (even though I could do it easily).

I expect my PhaseII to be back here on Monday, there was a mix-up that was probably primarily my fault or it wouldn`t have taken so long

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^

Cheers,

GREG

E-bay has some real good deals at times, it`s hit or miss though.....

I picked up a ETG II last year in mint condition with both of the calibration standards with bases in a foam lined plastic carrying case. The dual probe is excellent. It`s encased in a rubber boot that is spring loaded to help prevent any scratching on the surface....

I`m not a pro but, I enjoy being able to check my work with this instrument when ever the time comes up.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Gotta have a baseline to start with, then you can remove ~0.03-0.05 mils total (period, for ever). And that`s not much.

I`ve overthinned the clear on my e36 BMW doing correction that I didn`t think all *that* extreme, and most of my vehicles have marring I`m afraid to completely remove (even though I could do it easily).

I expect my PhaseII to be back here on Monday, there was a mix-up that was probably primarily my fault or it wouldn`t have taken so long

Ok so say you get a vehicle, one that you`ve never worked on before (I`m sure this to be the case 85% of the time) and you get your baseline reading. Who`s to say your baseline is not already past the .03-.05 maximum removal? Say it was originally 4.5 microns and someone buffed it down to 4 but this is your baseline reading. Do you still use the .03 to .05? Or do you use the rule of thumb of 3.5 to 5.5 average paint thickness, not to go past 3.5?

Eager to see your readings with the PhaseII. Also, are the Phase & Highline units capable of reading Ferrous and Non ferrous? (automatic switching?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wren
    Ok so say you get a vehicle, one that you`ve never worked on before (I`m sure this to be the case 85% of the time) and you get your baseline reading. Who`s to say your baseline is not already past the .03-.05 maximum removal? Say it was originally 4.5 microns and someone buffed it down to 4 but this is your baseline reading. Do you still use the .03 to .05? Or do you use the rule of thumb of 3.5 to 5.5 average paint thickness, not to go past 3.5?

Eager to see your readings with the PhaseII. Also, are the Phase & Highline units capable of reading Ferrous and Non ferrous? (automatic switching?)

Phase II can do both Ferrous and Non Ferrous, these meters will automatically detect what material they are measuring as well.

I always suggest asking what paint history the vehicles has gone through so you understand if there was any prior bodyshop/detailing work on the paint. Also the ultrasonic meters can measure each film build exactly, but they run $1500+

.03 is really really the most you should even consider going down on the vehicle. Take you measurements all over the vehicle to get an idea of the film build and make an educated guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    I own a Phase II PTG- 3500 and I have been very happy with it for the most part. I use it, of course, to evaulate customer cars, before I start to work on them. (TDEKANY turned me on to this model.)

However, the ultrasonic models have peaked my intrest, because there are times that I cannot properly evaulate a car when I am dealing with fiberglass or plastic materials. If I am going to invest in an ultrasonic model, one feature that I did wish to have is the ability to measure individual layer thicknesses in a multi-layer system. I have only found two meters than can do this. One is the Deflesko PosiTector 200 Advanced (C) and the other is the Olympus 25 Multi Plus (which I cannot find a price or a vendor to purchase from).

So my question is are there other ultrasonic models exsisting that have the ability to measure individual layer thicknesses or is the Deflesko 200(Advanced) the only way to go?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by howareb
    I own a Phase II PTG- 3500 and I have been very happy with it for the most part. I use it, of course, to evaulate customer cars, before I start to work on them. (TDKANY turned me on to this model.)

However, the ultrasonic models have peaked my intrest, because there are times that I cannot properly evaulate a car when I am dealing with fiberglass or plastic materials. If I am going to invest in an ultrasonic model, one feature that I did wish to have is the ability to measure individual layer thicknesses in a multi-layer system. I have only found two meters than can do this. One is the Deflesko PosiTector 200 Advanced (C) and the other is the Olympus 25 Multi Plus (which I cannot find a price or a vendor to purchase from).

So my question is are there other ultrasonic models exsisting that have the ability to measure individual layer thicknesses or is the Deflesko 200(Advanced) the only way to go?

Defelsko 200/1600 Models are the way to go, they are used by alot of the UK detailers. Are you going to sell your Phase II? Do you have the probes? Considering grabbing one for 445 with the probe since alot of people seem to think it`s easier to manage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvaBimma
    Defelsko 200/1600 Models are the way to go, they are used by alot of the UK detailers. Are you going to sell your Phase II? Do you have the probes? Considering grabbing one for 445 with the probe since alot of people seem to think it`s easier to manage.

Are you going to sell your Phase II?

I may. I just got it though, so it is basically brand new.

Do you have the probes?

I have the model without the probe. What is easer than one hand-operation.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information