Thread: Anti Freeze

Post Thanks / Like
    The dealer replaced the coolant hoses a few months ago and I keep smelling the sharp pungent odor of anti freeze after the car warms up. I have taken it to the dealer twice there is no evidence of a leak and the pressure test came out fine. I washed the engine twice since then, is there anything that will remove the odor from the engine compartment? Your thoughts & recomendations is really appreciated!

Thanks In Advance

Major

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found that sometimes when you change a hose or something like that, you will get a puddle of coolant sitting in a natural low spot in the intake manifold (in a V engine), which can take quite a while to dissipate. It may be that you have something like that that is obscured by a shroud so that it didn`t get washed out. However, I would say you have a leak...pardon my skepticism of your dealer.

Post Thanks / Like
    There might be a chance of a leak at the heater core. Are you running the heater now? If so run the car and brr it for a while and see if the smell is only when running the heater

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of car (year, make, model, engine)?
    1970 Camaro RS
    2013 Optima SX
    2005 Escalade Platinum
    2000 Integra GSR

Post Thanks / Like
    if you turn your heat on and a film starts to build up on the windows. its a heatercore ... most likely

Post Thanks / Like
    Not too long after the hoses were changed I had to add some anti freeze to the resorvoir. But that has been a couple of months ago. None since then, I have inspected the engine a quite a few times and I can find nothing, just that smell! The dealer did a pressure test of the cooling system and it holds pressure great.

I have a 2004 Nissan 350Z V6 (3.5) Roadster (21,000 miles), I live in Yuma Arizona so the heater has not been used for quite awhile. The last time I used the heater was just to circulate the coolant after the hoses (Samco) were installed.

I do appreciate the comments and feedback!

Major

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know in my car if I just run it for shortish trips, after a week or two I can smell the antifreeze. Basically what we (my dad, my mechanic, and I) determined was what I was actually smelling was the antifreeze in the excess resevoir. Somehow, the short trips would only warm it up a little bit, but enough to be smelt. Evidently my resevoir doesnt seal perfectly or something so I can smell it. Could be that they added just enough extra antifreeze to do this. Never know, sometimes its just the little things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Prometheus,

I have thought it might be my resorvoir, I just could not fathom how it would emit a smell. I have one of those fancy caps that may not be sealing well and when the engine gets warm it heats up the coolant resorvoir, thanks that just may be my problem.

Major

Post Thanks / Like
    I would clean the engine thoroughly. Most likely you have some coolant that spilled out when they were changing the hoses and dried to the engine surfaces causing the residue to give off fumes when the engine warms up.

Thread Information