Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the new American muscle coming out like the Mustang and C6 Corvette, what do you guys think about getting them with automatic trannies, especially with the high level of engineering now found in them?

I know with sporty imports, 99% are manual, but many Corvettes, Mustangs, Z28`s, Trans Ams, etc... are automatics (at least that`s what I see).

I know there are purists out there, but how do you feel about automatics in American muscle cars?

I have many, many issues of Hot Rod and Muscle Care Review, and a lot of the beautiful cars showcased in the pages are autos.

Just curious about your friendly opinions.

(Import fans, no flaming! :p)
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Tough call....I kind of go by the "auto in the sedan (even the sports sedan), manual in the sporty car" philosophy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tough call. The new automatics in performnace cars tend to shift firmly and quickly. I`ve driven a few C5 Vettes and the 1-2 shift often barks the tires under full throttle. I really liked the built TH-350 with a B&M Star Shifter and 4000 stall converter in my Chevelle, instantanious shifts, never missed a gear and consistant launches. On a high torque V8, especially with the traffic in my area, I`d go with the automatic. However, on V6 and turboed 4`s, I`d go with the stick because the automtics behind them seem to be poorly geared, the torque converters are too tight and the engine`s upper end power is better accessible with a manual.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    If I wanted a car to drive and have fun in (Corvette for example) I would want a manual because they are much funner to drive on the road.

But if it was going to be strictly a race car there`s no doubt it would be an automatic, you just can`t beat an auto at the track no matter what anyone says. Of course there are exceptions (stock mustangs for example) but when talking about a real fast car, the auto has the advantage.

I personally would never own a car to sport around in, I would rather have a car that drives to the track, goes in a straight line as fast as it can, and drives home, maybe even trailored. I`ll keep a truck or comfy sedan for daily driving duties.
    Steve Mullin

87 GN - Black - Pinnacle Souveran

84 GN - Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree auto trans have come a long way. However, for us old school types nothing beats a stick. I own a mustang GT. It`s basic transportation, but the rumble of a V8 with a magnaflow exhaust brings back memories, and a smile, everytime I drive it.

ps: my other car is a jag with auto trans

Jim

Â`</p>

2010 Porsche Cayman S

Post Thanks / Like
    If it`s a weekend car I would get a stick. If it`s a daily driver I would get auto. Too much stop and go especially in heavy traffic.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d go manual if I could drive stick, but I can`t so I`ll vote for now automatic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends what you`re gonna do with it. There`s just no way any auto will give the control of a manual if you`re gonna do roadcourses. Even the ones in exotic cars have limitations, and IMO not doing the heel & toe thing takes the fun out of track time. The autos in C5 `vettes would usually be the first thing to put an end to the fun (brakes being next) due to being overstressed too.

But for daily drivers, I`ve sorta given up on manuals. Just not fun for me any more.

I sorta liked TorqueFlites in my old Mopar muscle cars, but for real *driving*, make mine a manual. Drag racing, well, that`s another story.

But also consider that some cars are just happier with one or the other. A manual in a big sedan? I dunno...and I had four or five large-ish Audi quattros with manuals. No way I`d want a manual in the S8 or the Jag.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m at the point where I`m tired of having to worry about shift forks, synchronizers, clutches, pressure plates, et al. I`d rather have an auto with somewhat steep gears over a manual.

For example, the 4L60-E 4 speed auto tranny found in Corvettes and F-bodys is a fine transmission. It`s tough as hell, and easy to work on. Slap a Trans-Go and some 3.73s in it and tell me it`s not fun to drive in any circumstance on the street or strip.

Now, I agree completely that if you are looking to road race your car, there is not other choice than a manual transmission. But for any other circumstance, give me the auto.

I had a 2000 Camaro SS with a 6 speed in it. It had several bolt-ons and was considerably quicker than a stock 6 speed car would have been. My friend got a 2000 Z28 with an auto and the performance axle ratio (3.23 gears). Nine out of ten times, he would take me well through the eighth mile and *IF* I didn`t botch a gear shift, I would *sometimes* be able to make up the difference in the quarter mile. And while his car automatically executed perfect red-line shifts, I was worrying about bouncing off the rev limiter and missing a gear.

Give me the auto any day. I wish my Z06 had the 4L60-E with a nice stall and 3.73`s in it, but alas, they`re only available in a six speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    BlackSunshine-tell you what. I`ll trade you my 626 V6 automatic for your 6 speed Z06. How`s that sound? :lol
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

BlackSunshine-tell you what. I`ll trade you my 626 V6 automatic for your 6 speed Z06. How`s that sound? :lol

LOL. Maybe if it were silver we`d be in business! Sorry :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    if the muscle car sees heavy stop and go traffic, auto is better. if it doesn`t, manual. if it is for drag racing, a modified auto or something like a g-force manual trans. if for road racing, manual.

personally, i`m an auto trans guy because i have too much traffic to drive through every day, plus i don`t really know how to drive a manual trans. if i could, a manual mach1 would be sweet b/c i`d get a little more horsepower (auto 308 vs. manual 310), higher redline (5500 in the auto vs. 6500 in the manual) and speed limiter (127 mph in auto vs 155 in manual). interestingly enough though, an auto mach1 is usually quicker than a manual mach1 in the 1/4-mile.
    Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BlackSunshine

LOL. Maybe if it were silver we`d be in business! Sorry :nixweiss

C`mon, go black! Look at that shine!

:p
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    SS= 6 speed

New ZQ8= 5speed

Saturn= Auto

caviler=Auto

I love a stick in any car/truck but in some cases it is way better to have an auto, but in the same breath I would never want the SS if it had an auto.. and the new ZQ8`s 5 speed is pretty darn fun as well
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

Tough call. The new automatics in performnace cars tend to shift firmly and quickly. I`ve driven a few C5 Vettes and the 1-2 shift often barks the tires under full throttle. I really liked the built TH-350 with a B&M Star Shifter and 4000 stall converter in my Chevelle, instantanious shifts, never missed a gear and consistant launches. On a high torque V8, especially with the traffic in my area, I`d go with the automatic. However, on V6 and turboed 4`s, I`d go with the stick because the automtics behind them seem to be poorly geared, the torque converters are too tight and the engine`s upper end power is better accessible with a manual.

:up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information