Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    I`d agree...except I have a high-efficiency furnace in my house. What makes it high efficiency? It captures a lot more of the waste heat that would normally go out the flue. Is it more complicated, yes. Have I had a problem with it? Yes, once in 9 years I got a leaf sucked in the inlet. Was it more expensive? Yes, but I got a rebate from the gas company which largely offset the cost increase. And it burns at 93% regardless of the cost of the fuel.

A lot of you guys do your cooking outside on the grill during the summer, so as not to heat up the kitchen and make the house hot, or so as not to incur as much on your electricity bill from running the A/C to remove that heat. So my car is throwing off all kinds of heat everytime I apply the brakes, why am I a whacko for thinking it`s a good idea to recover that energy as electricity instead of dissipating it as heat? Are you guys whackos for cooking outside? Be men and take the heat in the kitchen.

I shopped around for a few years before I got my HE furnace. I had one HVAC guy tell me they don`t install them, there are too many problems. But ultimately this has become the norm, the problems are a thing of the past. And so will be with hybrid vehicles. I don`t hear any of you guys `````ing anymore that cars don`t make any power because of emissions controls, cars are faster (and cleaner) then they have ever been (or as fast).
    Setec, you got a High Efficiency furnace, and what makes it HE is that it captures waste heat?

Remember this link from an earlier post: Find greatest energy savings in power production industry

Bravo for you having the foresight to get an HE furnace. Now, read the above article, and imagine how much better it would be if the power utilities did what you did - capture the waste heat and use it!!

BTW, I`m going outside and grilling lunch! I have a BBQ with an Infrared burner (a TEC burner), and I cook faster outside, and I have less clean up to do. And I like the flavor of food grilled outside better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Len_A
    Setec, you got a High Efficiency furnace, and what makes it HE is that it captures waste heat?

Rember this link from an earlier post: Find greatest energy savings in power production industry

Bravo for you having the foresight to get an HE furnace. Now, read the above article, and imagine how much better it would be if the power utilities did what you did - capture the waste heat and use it!!

I do remember. I guess I can`t get my head around why people are anti-efficiency. Efficiency that costs more that it`s worth isn`t efficiency, but that isn`t a reason to hate real efficiency. Airplanes fly because they are efficient enough to generate more lift than drag. If modern cars had engines as efficient as a Model T...the engine would be the size of your house to generate the same amount of power. Computers and related devices are smaller now because the integrated circuits are more efficient, they put a larger and larger number of transistors in the same space, partly by using less power per transistor than their predecessors. I don`t see anyone (well, almost no one) saying they want a bigger, heavier laptop like in the old days..."if electricity was cheaper, I`d be happy to have a big old heavy laptop that was cheap to recharge...we don`t need smaller computers, we need cheaper electricity".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug

Hybrid cars- why bother when VW and MB have clean diesels that are simpler, great on gas, and last longer than gas engines (and we don`t have any numbers on how long these fancy hybrid systems will last) all we need is more capacity at the refineries - see above- and you have cheap fuel.

I was watching a episode of Top Gear (a UK car show) that did a test to see if three different cars could make it from Switzerland to Blackpool England, 750 miles on one tank of fuel. VW makes a car that is a 3 cylinder diesel that gets 75 miles to the gallon average. The car still had enough in it at the end of the test to get another 75 miles.

Jaguar (ok pricey, but get this), makes a car that gets a average of 50 miles to the gallon, they were able to make it over 1000 miles on a single tank of gas. So for all the hybrids I want to see numbers like that. And why don`t we have that tech here in the states? Those are ridiculous numbers to get on any car, and the fact that it`s not a hybrid is even more insane!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cuz the CARB is anti-diesel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information