Thread: Engine Coatings

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

If you haven`t seen my other threads on it, I am refurbishing my 1997 Honda VFR750F motorcycle. I have a couple of issues I am working out with the motor but, one of the things I want to do is clean up the exterior of the motor and refinish it. The motor is all aluminum and appears to be clear coated. Unfortunately to clean up the years of accumulated grime it is either going to take lots of scotch-brite pads or media blasting with a very mild media like walnut shells that won`t damage the aluminum and either method is going to strip the clear.

I need suggestions on a clear coat system that will stand up to the heat of the motor as well as the elements as this bike gets ridden rain or shine. I need long term durability here as it is not practical to remove the motor every time it needs a touchup.

Thanks in advance for any help you have to offer :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Zoop Seal may be what you are looking for. It is fairly pricey and I have only heard of a few people using it. It is supposedto be very good, but I do not have first hand experience. You may want to look into that. I think Eastwood Company has it in their catalog or online.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zoop Seal is not a permanent solution though. They only claim it will protect aluminum from oxidation for "up to 2 years". I don`t want to have to pull the motor every two years to re-coat it

I have been looking around. One product that I have been looking at so far is Glisten PC from POR-15. They do not state it on their website but, they claim it will withstand 400 degrees F. It is a brush on application and is self leveling. My concern is durability, just not sure how long this would last.

http://207.97.241.136/PRODUCTS/Prime...3/Default.aspx

Post Thanks / Like
    Where is the shameless self bump smiley

Thread Information