Malta.....and studying in Cheltenham in the UK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, was just considering buying a remote starting thing for my Nissan X-trail, as just a gadget and flashy thing... well firstly, can these mess up my car? and are they easily removable?

My car is a manual, which means, i`d have to leave it in neutral when parked....anyone got any ideas on this? think it looks pretty cool

Post Thanks / Like
    does your car have an immobilizer....if it does I wouldn`t do it.....cause a thief could easily break into your car and steal the key they hide next to the ignition and just drive off like he owned the thing......

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm... dammit hehe

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Dinzdale40

....cause a thief could easily break into your car and steal the key they hide next to the ignition and just drive off like he owned the thing......
    What key they hide next to the ignition?

I have a remote starter, and the only danger it has is if I were to try and start it while it was left in gear. I had to sign a waiver when I got it installed (was too lazy and intimidated to install it myself, but I wish I did...). I like it in the winter time and it hasn`t caused me any electrical gremlins.

I *think* there is a lead that comes off my transmission that actually indicates a neutral gear state or not, but I haven`t actually experimented with hooking this up to the appropriate leads on my starter yet. I wouldn`t know how to get them together at this point anyway...

Removal should be the reverse of installation with the exception of having to re-splice the cut wires back again. It`s just a box with lots of wires and an antenna (usually remote mounted).

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 4DSC

What key they hide next to the ignition?

When you have an immobilizer and you use a key that isn`t programmed the car won`t start.....so to start your car without you being in the car.....a key that is programmed has to be hidden somewhere near your ignition so that the immobilizer will never stop the car from starting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Dinzdale40

When you have an immobilizer and you use a key that isn`t programmed the car won`t start.....so to start your car without you being in the car.....a key that is programmed has to be hidden somewhere near your ignition so that the immobilizer will never stop the car from starting.
    Oh... I guess they can`t get around the immobilizer then. I don`t know anything about those things! lol Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    yea they can get around it.....but if someone sees you have one on a partcular car that`s known to have an immobilizer....it`d be a target for theft.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, my friends dad`s car has one and the spare key is tied up next to the ignition under the dash so the car will start.

Post Thanks / Like
    dunno, i think it would be a really cool accessory to have....so long as it wouldn`t cost too much, cos i`d probably get a lil tired of it hehe.

i`ll look into it when i have the chance

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have category 1 alarm/immobilisation on the car you will lose that status if you have remote start fitted! I guess it depends on the insurance copanies in your particular country!

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Compustar starters.

I have the factory immobilizer on my `01 Sentra SE 5spd, as well as a Compustar alarm/starter and love it.

I gave the installer only a key chip, not a whole key to bypass the immobilizer for starting, so the thief would still have to hotwire the car if they broke in and were able to find the transponder box with the chip.(a box containing the chip/key with a lead wire is hidden deep in the dash. When the starter calls for it, the box sends the signal from the chip/key thru the wire to the ignition so it may start. I took the liberty of moving my box after the install, and hose-clamping it to something rather solid in a very hidden place- the lead can be quite long between it and the iginition!)

The compustar starters have you perform a quick sequence when leaving the vehicle in such a way that it HAS to be in neutral and have the parking brake engaged to auto-start.

When you leave the vehicle, put it in neutral, engage the E-brake, and leave. The car stays running after you do the sequence and remove your key from the ignition until you close the door- obviously it has to be in neutral for you to do this, right?

It`s totally failsafe, and takes 1 second to do upon exit.

Add to that their alarm/paging protection and you have a truly kickass alarm/starter.

http://www.compustar.org/:xyxthumbs
    `01 Sentra SE
    Calgary Sports Car Club #406 DSS

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to get my dog in this debate.

The keyand or the chip can be put under the cawing on the steering column close to the ing.switch and as for a thief driving off with you veh. it "can never happen " the system is set up so that if the veh is under remote start and you hit the break paddle the system will shut down plain and simple now you explain to me how you are going to get the veh in gear with out applying break pressure to get the veh in drive.

now just because the chip or key is in proximity of the Ing. switch does`ant mean the security systems will not work as designed. If they want it bad enough they will take it.

I have one and use one and there options are limitless

the 1 I have was given to a jeep owner and he opted to sell it because he did not want to deal with the chance of a frozen break cable in the winter.

besides I they really wanted the veh that bad you think they would wait for you to remote start it?

heck they would have a better chance waiting for you to start it and grab you.
    Beercan

Post Thanks / Like
    umm....well i`ve not heard of that....but that sounds like what he would want to do.....would you mind sharing the name of this system to help him out?

Post Thanks / Like
    If he waited for you to remote start it, and then jumped in the car he still wouldnt be able to steat it because all the systems I have seen if you put your foot on the brake before you insert the key into the ignition, it will automatically kill the engine (foot has to be on the brake to get out of part for all automatic trannys) By now you would prob be @ your car and the theif would be long gone..
    "You offroad that thing?" "Yea man, all the time"

Thread Information