Post Thanks / Like
    So my tires were low so I went to the gas station to fill tem up. I fill them all up to right about spec.

When I got home I wanted to double check them even though I know when they warm up they expand, I just wanted to make sure everything was fine.

So when I took off the valve cap on my front right tire I heard air. Once I put the valve cap back on I didnt`t hear it. I know the pressure is slowly slipping out but what could the problem be?

It didn`t happen before I filled the tire with air, did I stick the air hose in too hard?

Thanks in advance.
    This may sound like gibberish to you, but I think I`m in a tragedy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes the Schrader valve leaks. Sometimes depressing the stem again will reseat it and it will be ok. If not you can try replacing the valve core. You will need a core and a wrench that you can get at a decent auto supply store. You`ll want to jack the weight off of that tire, because it will go flat when you remove the core, and you don`t want to break the bead (the seal between the tire and the rim, you may not be able to get it to seal again without going to a tire shop), and you`ll need air to pump it back up again.

Of course, you could just drive to a tire shop and let them mess with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Sometimes the Schrader valve leaks. Sometimes depressing the stem again will reseat it and it will be ok. If not you can try replacing the valve core. You will need a core and a wrench that you can get at a decent auto supply store. You`ll want to jack the weight off of that tire, because it will go flat when you remove the core, and you don`t want to break the bead (the seal between the tire and the rim, you may not be able to get it to seal again without going to a tire shop), and you`ll need air to pump it back up again.

Of course, you could just drive to a tire shop and let them mess with it.
    Unless you go fast enough! lol But ya, try replacing the valve stem core first, if that doesn`t work then take it to a tire shop and havem replace the whole stem, shouldn`t cost any more than $10-20 tops.
    Always being the youngest isn`t always a bad thing...:2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaGuy
    Unless you go fast enough! lol But ya, try replacing the valve stem core first, if that doesn`t work then take it to a tire shop and havem replace the whole stem, shouldn`t cost any more than $10-20 tops.

I`m guessing that includes labor, right? It seems like a small job but I rather not do anything to screw it up lol. Any shops you guys prefer?
    This may sound like gibberish to you, but I think I`m in a tragedy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lp2137
    I`m guessing that includes labor, right? It seems like a small job but I rather not do anything to screw it up lol. Any shops you guys prefer?
    Ya, the actual stem would be like $4. Honestly it depends on the shop... I worked at a Les Schwab and would never take my car there, but the one the city over, which I also worked at once, I would take to in a heart beat, although I wouldn`t ever give another Les Schwab any money. LOL Bad experience with that company, really bad. But maybe ask one of your local auto shops that you trust. If its just the core it shouldn`t cost you anything, cuz those are really cheap...
    Always being the youngest isn`t always a bad thing...:2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    You can try tightening the core first and see if that helps, maybe it will at least slow it down. I wonder why they don`t put presta valves on cars?
    07 Kia Sportage EX

07 Kia Rio

Dodge Dakota 4 door 4x4

Chrysler 300m Sold

92 Dodge Stealth RT TT Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy
    I wonder why they don`t put presta valves on cars?

Maybe because leaking valve stems are almost never a problem?

Thread Information