Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    All this talk of fluid changes has me reaching for my oil ( and other fluid) extractor . I have seperate hoses for each type of fluid and boy, does it help! It can get every last drop of coolant out of the recovery tank and brake fluid from its reservoir.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    **edit***used wrong quote earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Is that the same brand antifreeze? And from the same car? I have noticed in the past that different brands can have markedly different colors.

yeah the same i only useprestone...i cant believe ppl buy the premix :sadpace: .. i mean if you gonna do it urself than buy 2 gallons of distilled water, one to mix to make 2 gallon of antifreeze and 1 gallon to flush. yeah i will give you 2 guesses who changed the entire fluid (block as well), his names starts with j and ends with chetty :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    J :wavey,

Yep, I stocked up on the original Prestone last year and now all they sell is this extended mix and/or premix stuff. Until I learn otherwise, and I searched BITOG extensively last time I drained, I have great reservations about starting to use this stuff in my car that has ben seeing the old stuff for 16 years.

My understanding is the the off brand, car parts store label coolants are still the old kind.

Post Thanks / Like
    What??? You can`t buy Prestone undiluted now? Oh...you mean you can`t buy the "traditional" stuff, only the green 5 year stuff...I read about it...seemed ok to me, seemed like they updated their additive package to be more in line with the current thinking on cooling system life, which was to move away from the silicates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jchetty

yeah the same i only useprestone...i cant believe ppl buy the premix :sadpace: .. i mean if you gonna do it urself than buy 2 gallons of distilled water, one to mix to make 2 gallon of antifreeze and 1 gallon to flush. yeah i will give you 2 guesses who changed the entire fluid (block as well), his names starts with j and ends with chetty :chuckle:

Well, I would never be changing mine twice a year, but if it only takes you 10 minutes like you say, and I can`t argue with your overall maintenance plan, your car looks like it is still in the showroom--no cleaner than the showroom! (from your pictures a month or two ago) I also have done the routine with taking out the drain plugs in the block...but I have to confess it`s been a while since I`ve done that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, the traditional stuff. I`m still uneasy. That may change. For now though, my supply is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Well, I would never be changing mine twice a year, but if it only takes you 10 minutes like you say, and I can`t argue with your overall maintenance plan, your car looks like it is still in the showroom--no cleaner than the showroom! (from your pictures a month or two ago) I also have done the routine with taking out the drain plugs in the block...but I have to confess it`s been a while since I`ve done that.

thnks, i swear it only take me 10 minutes. when i do the drain plug, i have to put on some kind of sealant on the threads as per honda factory manual :hm and bill d is you your detaling collection so large that your now collecting antifreeze :LOLOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I kinda jumped the gun when I realized the older anitfreeze might still be the best for my car and they stopped making it

Post Thanks / Like
    when i do the drain plug, i have to put on some kind of sealant on the threads as per honda factory manual :hm

That`s standard, the GM`s were pipe threads, so they need some sort of dope; I used teflon tape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that anti seize compound? I`m dying for a lift at this point to do all of that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    Is that anti seize compound? I`m dying for a lift at this point to do all of that!

i hate promoting actual products but have u looked at kwiklift. their products are pretty expensive because you can get a 2 or 4 post for bendpak for bout the same :think: however most ppl, including myselt, dont have adequate clearance in the garage. this products looks promising, a bit pricy. i do know that when i get around to restoring the 80 camaro, i will be using a lift, i have never used this product so i cant review it :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going to find out what kind of lift a guy I know plans on installing, and then do my best to use his as long as possible

In the meantime, I plan on seeking out some power steering fluid to change the old with this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, pipe "dope" is a sealer used to fill the microscopic inconsistencies in tapered pipe threads. In the old days (and still) it was a viscous liquid that would harden (to differing degrees, think of the different types of Permatex, if that means anything to you). Another pipe dope is teflon tape, which you wrap around the threads.

You don`t need a lift, but you need jack stands. On the GM cars I have taken the plugs out on (I think only the 90 and 60* V-6`s, although I might have done an 8), it really does save a lot of flushing, especially if you don`t want to take the thermostat out. When cars get older, it seems like you are always changing something in the cooling system (hoses, water pump, thermostat) so it always seemed to me to be less critical to pull the plugs.

Oh, one piece of advice, on one of the cars I did, the starter positive cable connection was right in the swing arc of the wrench for the plug, so it might be prudent to disconnect that cable from the battery. Ask me how I know!

Post Thanks / Like
    i hate promoting actual products but have u looked at kwiklift.

j, isn`t that basically a glorifed set of ramps? The thing I don`t like about that is you can`t really get your wheels off (if you read it, you need to put a separate jack between the kwiklift and the car...so you might as well just do it from the floor).

There is this low rise lift: http://www.rotarylift.com/Products/P...pplication.asp which should be great for low ceilings and getting your wheels off, but I`m not sure about clearance to get to the engine/trans, especially for RWD vehicles. Maybe Accumulator will tell us what he has in his garage for a lift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rotary =

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information