Post Thanks / Like
    I have a factory saab spoiler that i needs to be preped(already primed) and painted. I figured i would do the prep and then bring it to paint. The directions with it say 800 grit sand paper and solvent wipe first and then again after sanding.. What type of solvent? And 800 good enough?

Post Thanks / Like
    Typically a painter will include the prep work (not body work) in his painting cost. Sanding/wetsanding/cleaning is all part of the paint process you pay for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I`d let the painter do it so all the responsibility is on him.

But anyhow, you don`t want to use too fine a sandpaper on the primer or the topcoat won`t get a good "bite". Solvents for the cleaning are stuff like PrepSol, PreKleano, etc. (I`ve been using Wurth Cleans All recently). But he`ll have to rewipe it anyhow.

Seriously, let him do it all and be very particular when you inspect the work (be up front with him, say stuff like "no sanding scratches" ). Make sure he matches the OP level on the rest of the car too so it doesn`t look like an add-on.

Post Thanks / Like
    :sadwavey: OP level....????? This is actually what i ended up just doing... I went to the saab dealer where there is a body shop with it. I went in and asked to get my spoiler painted.. He quoted a price for it painted and installed. I said no just painted (i want to install). He quoted again... I said umm you quoted lower before.. He said ok well i dont know if i can do it today. I said listen I just want it done at some point, it otherwise would be sitting in my garage. He came outside to my car and we got the spoiler from my car and brought it inside. He said well call me monday... Gave me a card and I left. He knows its a black saab so is that going to be tough to match? Should I call him monday morning and talk to him more about painting it (flawlessly).?

Post Thanks / Like
    He sounds just a little flakey, but that could just be how I`m interpreting it.

If the install involves drilling holes, are you sure you don`t want him to do it? I`m a pretty meticulous guy and I know my way around tools, but I`d think about the possibility that he (or his guys) have done this a million times and I haven`t. You sure want it aligned right!

No sanding scratches, no fish-eyes, no swirls. OP texture oughta match what`s on the rest of the car (from "none" to whatever you can see under harsh lighting). Black shouldn`t be that tough to match assuming the Saab isn`t too old (has it faded any? that could be tricky- mention that too). If in doubt, leave the car with them and leave it all in their hands and hope for the best. But then they`ll wash it or something and swirl it up

There`s just no easy answer to this sort of thing, you`re gonna run a risk whichever way you go. All you can do is think of everything in advance and try to limit your downside-exposure. I myself would be so worried about something going wrong that I wouldn`t add the spoiler (plus, I`d rather not detail around it ) but that`s just me.

If OTOH the car already *has* a spoiler, and this is just a replacement that`ll go in existing holes, then things should go smoother. But I`d still consider leaving the car with them so they can do the paint color/texture matching.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what type of spoiler it is...

Umm apparently its pretty easy to install have been asking tons of questions on a saab site.. Im a student too so anything to cut some cost. It shouldnt be too hard I will make sure I am ultra carefull though. :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Be *VERY CAREFUL* that you don`t cause future rust issues, those`d really cost you some money. Treat the edges of the holes with something that`ll keep them from rusting. Magnetize your drill bit so you don`t get metal shavings down where you can`t get `em out (they`ll rust later). Maybe even spray some AutoInt Rust Inhibitor up in there just to be on the safe side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Accumulator.. Yeah i was planning to take some of the liner out to prevent fire from hot shavings.. Then after drilling.. paint the holes and add silicone sealant.. Then there are gaskets i recieved with the spoiler that i place and screw on with. More just afraid of drilling into my car. But with a tap and center punch shoudnt be too bad.. After one im told its easier.. Have a rest of the day im out later.

Thread Information