Post Thanks / Like
    I tried my UDM for the first time today and I`m not sure it is working correctly. With the pad of the machine not on any surface, the pad will rotate. When the pad is in contact with the car the rotation almost comes to a stop, just a little pressure with make the pad completely stop. If I am working on the side of the car, the pad will not rotate when the machine is up against the car.

With the machine not up against the car, I can stop the pad from rotating by just pushing on the pad with one finger. I can also grab the pad and rotate it backwards with just about no effort with the machine running.

All of this was done on speed 5 or 6, it made no difference on either speed.

Does everyone elses machine work like this?

Thanks.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithel
    I tried my UDM for the first time today and I`m not sure it is working correctly. With the pad of the machine not on any surface, the pad will rotate. When the pad is in contact with the car the rotation almost comes to a stop, just a little pressure with make the pad completely stop. If I am working on the side of the car, the pad will not rotate when the machine is up against the car.

With the machine not up against the car, I can stop the pad from rotating by just pushing on the pad with one finger. I can also grab the pad and rotate it backwards with just about no effort with the machine running.

Does everyone elses machine work like this?

Thanks.

Jeff

sounds like a defective unit as not even my PC will do that and the UDM is reportedly much stronger. I`d contact who you bought it from and get it replaced.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like a defective unit to me, mine doesn`t do that even with alot of pressure on it. Call the place where you bought it from.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    i have noticed that mine does the same thing

Post Thanks / Like
    For your UDM warranty issues just send me and email to Lynn @ ThePerfectShine.com with the information on what you think is wrong with the unit. The UDM warranty on a unit that is determined as defective is quick and hassle free. Here is what I will need from you...

Name:

Address:

Phone Number:

Date Purchased:

Store Purchased:

UDM Serial Number:

Lynn
    Lynn Matthews
    The Car Girl

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithel
    ...............I can stop the pad from rotating by just pushing on the pad with one finger. I can also grab the pad and rotate it backwards with just about no effort with the machine running.

Does everyone elses machine work like this?............
    No, it shouldn`t do that. I just received a UDM the other day and did some tests to compare what you`re experiencing. The UDM has, for lack of a better word, a lot more torque than a PC. At speed 4 on the UDM there was no way I could stop the pad from spinning with one finger, and while I could slow the spinning down a bit with pressure from my whole palm, it required quite a bit of force. It is much easier to stop the PC from spinning, but not at a higher speed and with just one finger. I`d contact Lynn ASAP and let her take care of the problem for you.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    is he refering to being able to get the pad to stop spinning or oscilating?

(spinning being the pad spinning, oscilating being the vibration type feeling)

cause i noticed with mines this weekend, i was removing my lsp, with a buffing bonnet over the swirlbuster pad (orange) and with almost no pressure the thing would spin and osclate, but with lil pressure, i just felt hte vibration, couldnt see the bonnet spinning..

i will check to make sure its notthe same problem with just the BP on, lol and a blooding finger/palm from trying to grab the BP, lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bookeem
    is he refering to being able to get the pad to stop spinning or oscilating?

(spinning being the pad spinning, oscilating being the vibration type feeling)

cause i noticed with mines this weekend, i was removing my lsp, with a buffing bonnet over the swirlbuster pad (orange) and with almost no pressure the thing would spin and osclate, but with lil pressure, i just felt hte vibration, couldnt see the bonnet spinning..

i will check to make sure its notthe same problem with just the BP on, lol and a blooding finger/palm from trying to grab the BP, lol

anything else on this?

I thought the pad was supposed to both spin & oscillate on the paint (dual action, right?) but Lynn says the pad is not supposed to actually spin on the paint

I`m kind of a noob with polishers, so I`m not sure what`s correct
    2008 Ivory Pearl Infiniti G37 Sport 6MT

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I just got out my UDM, turned it to 4 and pushed my index finger down on the pad (not hard) and it did stop the spinning motion but it still oscillated as it would on your paint. You will still notice motion but the motion is no longer a spinning motion.

It still sounds like your UDM is fine to me.

Lynn
    Lynn Matthews
    The Car Girl

Post Thanks / Like
    Get 4" pads and your spinning problems will be solved. Anything over 5.5" low profile pads will bog the pc when a little pressure is applied.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds fine to me, why not head out to the garage and give it a try! :waxing:

Lynn
    Lynn Matthews
    The Car Girl

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Phillips
    It sounds fine to me, why not head out to the garage and give it a try! :waxing:

Lynn

I would think the OP has figured it out by now

he made one post 10 months ago

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28
    I would think the OP has figured it out by now

he made one post 10 months ago

I was answering IP37`s post reply from today.

Lynn
    Lynn Matthews
    The Car Girl

Post Thanks / Like
    so what makes it "dual action" ?

again, i`m new to polishers so i`m just wondering. not complaining
    2008 Ivory Pearl Infiniti G37 Sport 6MT

Thread Information