Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I read a thread that stated that you have a new more powerful version of the porter cable coming out. I cannot remember the last time my curiosity was as peaked over a detailing product. Give us a hint about it and a possible release date!! I will be the first one to pre-pay right now for it to be one of the first non-testers to get my hands on it!! Dont leave us hanging!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    WHB,

I had not planned to pre-announce this product. I put a few of them on the street for durability and quality testing. I guess I forgot to tell testers to keep the project quiet. Now that the cat is out of the bag...

Background

The Porter Cable 7424 Orbital Polisher/Sander has been the defacto-standard polishing machine for the better part of 10 years. It`s a nice machine, but it has some significant limitations:

1. The motor is not strong enough

2. The machine vibrates too much

3. The machine has several weaknesses (switch, armature brushes, cord)

4. The warranty is basic 1-year "return to factory - parts and labor"

5. The machine does not come with a flexible backing plate

6. The machine is whored out in the retail channel

About six months ago I went on a mission to duplicate the functionality and form factor of the Porter Cable 7424 while removing all of the limitations I listed above.

Ultimate Polishing Macine (UPC)

The new machine will be called the Ultimate Polishing Machine and will be supported and sold through www.ultimatepolishingmachine.com. It will feature:

1. 5.5 AMP motor (20% more power than 7424)

2. Very high quality concentric offset, full floating head that is perfectly balanced

3. Variable speed from 2,000 to 6,000 OPM

4. Side handle

5. Heavy duty power cord, switch and speed control

6. Rubberized coating

7. Two color canvas bag

8. Full color 24 page manual

9. Wrench

10. 1 year replacement warranty w/ 5 year upgrade option

Parts are manufactured for us in China and Mexico. Final assembly and testing will be at the ARC of San Diego facility, where we will employ a number of adults with learning disabilities full-time on this product line (production and refurbishing).

Capabilities

To say that this is simply a "clone" of the Porter Cable would not give credit to the many improvements and the significantly improved capabilities. In short, this machine offers 90% of the polishing capabilities of a good rotary without the potential hazards. The combination of the more powerful motor and the vastly improved head unit allow this machine to work polishes harder than any other electric orbital on the market, yet the machine is smooth enough to operate with one hand at full speed.

Availability

The Ultimate Polishing Machine will be available through reseller channels and potentially as a private label tool. The list price on a fully loaded kit (as described above) will be $149.95. This list price will allow us to put the product into the reseller channel and manage very high quality and superior service.

The first dozen or so prototypes made it through reliability testing. We are now waiting for final parts availability and transportation to begin the assembly line. Expected production date July, 2007.

Post Thanks / Like
    David B.- Thanks to responding to WilliamHBonney`s query. I`d heard vague references to this machine and it`s nice to know the full story from the horse`s mouth.

I`ll be looking forward to any additional info regarding backing plate fitments/etc. and will be eagerly awaiting a chance to purchase one of the new machines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aww man July!! I cant wait that long David. Are you going to take pre-orders by chance? Just let me know when as I can pay at anytime. I assume that the backing plates that fit the current model will be compatible with the boosted PC?

Thank you for responding BTW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Final assembly and testing will be at the ARC of San Diego facility, where we will employ a number of adults with learning disabilities full-time on this product line (production and refurbishing).
    David, this decision has my deep respect. Even though I am not affected by it, nor is any of my loved ones, I thank you! Please put my name on the waiting list.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m @ Sea World w/ my boys... I`ll respond to this thread later tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am excited about this. Plan on putting me on the waiting list. Any form of PC that will not give me shaken baby syndrome will be awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger V
    I am excited about this. Plan on putting me on the waiting list. Any form of PC that will not give me shaken baby syndrome will be awesome.
    :har: :har:

Post Thanks / Like
    How does it compare in power to the Cyclo?

What size of polishing pad do you recommend? 4" pads now too aggressive? 6.5" pads no longer bog the machine down when applying pressure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. I will hold off my new rotary purchase till we get more advanced info. Unlike others, I can wait till July.

Post Thanks / Like
    That certainly sounds like a lot of content at that price point...too bad I already have two and a Cyclo I haven`t used yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds really nice and will look forward when it comes out!!

One of the things I`ve always hated abouth the 7424 was the vibration when I have to do close detailing work after using the rotary. Arms get tired and control can become an issue.

With the possibility of a RO reaching the 90% factor to rotary level is one bold statement and I hope it does!!! That will be one hell of a feature and work into marketing this new RO.

I`d love to put down the Makita if I found something as good and better for polishing. Compounding/leveling will still need the Makita due to heat/speed.

Oh and BTW, I hope you`re enjoying Sea World with the family!!!

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    can you add a forced rotation mode?

Post Thanks / Like
    Deanski,

Let me explain how I came to the "90% of a rotary" statement.

With proper pads, compound and work, a rotary will remove 1,000 grit sanding scratches from a painted panel. Our new machine will remove 1,500 grit sanding scratches. Until now, no RO generated enough energy to smoke a pad and burn paint. If you abuse this machine (firm pressure in one spot for about 45 seconds) it will burn paint!

In short, this machine puts down enough power to properly work polishes designed to be used by a rotary. This also puts more demand on the pad and the backing plate. We`re testing both. At a minimum, this machine will require foam pads that use a PUR glue, not a heat applied glue.

db

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    can you add a forced rotation mode?

I`m looking at a second machine design that is a dual-mode system with a pistol grip and a 6 AMP motor. I looked at the Makita system and it is far too complex. I`m looking for a locking head that is less complicated so I can keep the cost under $200. My feeling is that a dual mode system over $200 simply won`t sell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information