Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What combo to use next? jeff2417's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the Zymol might possibly be taking a layer off...maybe I can skip at least the 3M Show Car wax step...It just wasn`t as brilliant and smooth without the Zymol, that`s all...

Thanks for all the props, guys!

If you have any suggestions on another possible "Combination" of waxes/polishes, let me know!:p
    Sure, it`s shiny, but how smooth is it, and how does it look in direct sunlight?

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I managed the following in 4 1/2 hours, and I am a newbie

Vacuum
    Vinyl clean
    Tire & Wheel Clean
    Wash
    Degrease Engine Bay (Eimann Fabrik)
    1 x Megs Kwik Kote on engine bay
    Degrease door jambs and other nooks and crannys
    Clay
    Wash
    1 x Megs #9 SR 2.0
    2 x Megs #7 Cleaner Wax
    1 x Megs #26 Hi Tech
    2 x Megs HE TG
    Haze (30 minutes)
    Rebuff
    QD car to remove any final touches
    Buff again
    Clean windows
    Buff again

What in the world took you 9 hours? I started that one at 5:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the previous page for information on why it took 9 hours. Also, Meguiars is very easy to put on and remove. I`ve used it before, and yes, it took me about 4 hours. I was just curious, am I the only one that thinks that detailing isn`t a race, but a work of perfecting?

jeff...
    Sure, it`s shiny, but how smooth is it, and how does it look in direct sunlight?

Jayhawk fan.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jeff,

Hey the car looks great. I know what you mean about taking the time to enjoy the job. When you have the time to do your own car its far more ejoyable than working on a customers car like I do. I have a detailing business and I at times have so much work to get done the I have to rush around trying to get done and I dont enjoy those times. I like taking the time to enjoy each step since I love detailing and the awesome results of many hours of work.

One thought about your steps, The cleaner wax AFTER all the polishing and waxing. I suppose that if it works for you and your happy thats all that matters but if you want to achieve the perfect finished look you might consider a different approach.

The cleaner wax does 2 things by cleaning the surface and protecting at the same time. It does neither exceptionally well but only does a ok job of both. For the longest lasting, deepest shine a pure wax will give better results. The cleaner wax will erase some of the polishing effort that you worked hard to achieve. A pure wax will cover over the polish and give superior results.

I have never used the 3M show car wax but I hear its good stuff. If it isnt giving the results you like I would suggest trying a different finishing wax that would possibly give better results.

I prefer 2 or 3 finishing waxes that to me are superior to the others I have tried. I like One Grand Blitz for everything I work on. Its a carnauba thats awesome. Another that I like is Collinite Insulator wax. Its like a synthetic wax that glides on and off soo easily and lasts long and the shine is awesome. Anthony recomends Trade Secret wax for dark colors and I take his advice highly.

I would give these a shot if the 3M wax isnt leaving you feeling satisfied but I would suggest not going over all that time consuming polishing with a cleaner wax that will actually undermine some of the effort you invested.

This is just my opinion and I hope you try a different finishing wax instead of the cleaner wax and I believe the Blitz would make you very happy . If you try it let me know how it goes, I would love to hear if you find a different product that you like more.

Best regards,
    John

South Atlanta Details AtlantaBoy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey anybody can use Meg`s...........he was using 3M, which is less for giving than Meg`s stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you AtlBoy, 3M stuff is tough!

Thank you John, you bring up some very valid points. I think I`ll give Blitz a try next, and I`ve also heard good stuff about P21S and UPP. Any advice on those? Should I stick with the 3M prep?

jeff.

P.S.--Peep out the trunk lid....mmmmmm....trees.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jayhawk fan.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it you want to prep hte car it depends on what you need done. If the surface needs serious polishing then the 3M line is hard to beat. Im talking about working out scratches and such. But of the surface is in good condition then I would try going without it to see if you like it.

For example the Klasse All In One is a great surface prep if you want to put on the UPP. I tried the UPP surface prep cleaner and its good too. They dont take out major flaws but give a refined, slick polish look prior to the sealant.

If you want to try the P21S their cleansing lotion is awesome It is the best surface prep ive tried. When you top it with the wax its a great look. I also like the One Grand system of the Special Touch, Omega Glaze topped with Biltz. You just might like it!

The 3M polsihes are great but if you have good paint and dont want to buff out major flaws try just claying of needed then a good cleaning lotion followed by a good wax.

I think half the fun of detailing is always looking for new ways to get the best results. Trying diferent products and different techniques are something most of us guys around here are always addicted to. I bet of if you try the P21S or One Grand products you will love them and then want to try others

Best regards,
    John

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jeff2417
    I was just curious, am I the only one that thinks that detailing isn`t a race, but a work of perfecting?

jeff...
    I doubt anyone would disagree there.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information