Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Baked On Brake Dust?

I did a 01 530i BMW on Saturday that had some baked on brake dust. I was only working on the inside but washed the car for him. The rims are clear coated and have little black spots all over them. I did not try anything on them other than the 4 Star wheel cleaner. I will be doing the rest of the car later this week and wondered if anyone has had this type of problem. I was thinking of trying laquer thinner or maybe a steamer.
    Thanks
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Baked On Brake Dust?

Oh this what the rims look like from another car that I had done some time back. The black spots are on the aluminum part of the rim

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I did a Saab yesterday with horrendous dust.

I did Poorboy`s wheel cleaner x 2 and Wheel Wash x 1 and there was dust chunks still in the corner tight spots.

Try using an old piece of clay, if that doesn`t work, I know wetsanding will work...You will just need to polish those areas afterwards. Don`t forget about wheel acid too, but that`s some strong stuff

Proud Resident Of Detail City
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a common problem with beamers. The red hot brake pad particles have actually etched into the clearcoat on the rim. Simply explain to the customer that it is not possible to entirely remove all of the dust. His best bet is to get the wheels bead blasted and refinished. Also remind him of the importance of removing the brake dust before it accumulates to that point.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks he brough that car from a local lot that I think was a car brought at an auction in LA, CA. T hey did a half a$$ job cleaning the car. I pulled a ton of makeup off the seats and stiring wheel.
    You can feel the bumbs on the wheel so I think that they will lift that`s jsut my thoughts

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

beemerboy: tough task resolving brake dust that`s been on the wheels too long.

I used 409 Pro with a MF pad & I had to use a green ScotchBrite pad in the corners. Had to follow this up with some ScratchX to remove the marring from the ScotchBrite pad.

If you`re able to clean-up the wheels successfully, I`d strongly suggest ceramic brake pads to the 5-series owner. Minimal (almost zero) brake dust without loss of braking efficiency.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had great success with German brake dust using a paint cleaner/polish. You might have to incorporate a Scotchbrite pad like NYV suggested as well. Being clearcoated, this shouldn`t pose a problem at all.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like

I also thought about 0000 stell wool that woudl remove the spot on the surface which is where they seem to feel.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

That would be an alternative as well...even work it in with a paint cleaner for more effectiveness, but you will probably have to go back and do a pure polish afterwards to remove any marring the steel wool left and to get back some killer luster

Defintely let us know how they come out!
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like

Will do, hope to get some before and after pics to show.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I have had pretty good luch using chrome polish. (the kind that says it will remove rust) I apply it liberally, rub it in and let it sit as directed. I then wipe it off and if needed appy again. Simonize Chrome Polish has worked the best for this but I can no longer find it anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kim

I have some chrome polish that I can use

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

What about Simple Green??? Do you think that would work on baked on brake dust???

Post Thanks / Like

OK I did the car yesterday and here is what I had to do. After I washed the rims mostly all the brake dust that was on the inside of the rim came out. The outside was another story, the spots where in small areas where they had come threw the spokes (see rim above) These rims are two piece polished aluminum outsides with anodized centers with a clear coat on them, and the clear is some what soft, they are the same that I have on my BMW.
    If you felt the rims it felt like the spots were on the surface, sort of bumpy feeling.
    I started off with clay and that really did nothing, the clay turned brown but really lifted nothing. Then went to polish, light cut compound, SSR2.5, Zephyr40, Chrome polish and all those really did about nothing. They all seemed to lift a small amount but not much, the pad I was using was not turning brown so I knew not much action was taking place.
    Brought out some 0000 steel wool with some lacquer thinner again nothing really, then I noticed that if I used my finger nail, some of them would pitch off. Got out some Tarminator by Stoners ( for what reason I choose that don`t know) and small plastic scrapper. Sprayed on and used the scrapper to scrap the spots and that started to lift them. What it looked like was the Stoners was dissolving them. This worked but was slow and hard. I went over the rims and that removed about 80%. However there was still some left came back at them with clay again and that started to work that took time but got them to about 90% clean. I decided to try heat and the scrapper and that was not doing much. I wish I had a steamer I do think that might have done the trick. I polished them once again lifting a bit more bringing them to about 90% plus. What was left was very small and you really had to look for it, at a glance you would have no idea it was there. I figured what was left was etched into the clear coat on the rims that`s my best guess.
    I put a sealant on them and they looked great in comparison to what I started with.
    I did not take any pics as the weather was cloudy and you would have not seen what I was looking at. Customer was really happy with the results and could not believe that they looked new again. My hands felts the same way, the time it took was about 2.5 hours!

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting your results.
    I am sure your fingers are sore today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information