Post Thanks / Like

Rotary Buffer and Swirl Marks, HELP!

Help out a novice. I have a rotary buffer, it has a heavy wool pad on it. I have used it to buff out my car and remove bugs and such. It does a nice job at it but I always get swirl marks. I have tried Maguires swirl remover, it only hides them for a while. I even tried using that as a polishing compund. I tend to put some wet polishing compound on and hold the buffer at about a 30 degree angle to the panel and work back and forth. What is the proper technique for using a rotary buffer? I have been reading some of the forums, and it seems there are different pads to use? and what should I be using for a polishing compund? My goal is a once a year car cleaning, to get off bugs, and scratches. Then a follow up with wax. Is the rotary acceptable for use with waxes?
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill,
    First of all ... Welcome to DC!
    If you are using the buffer to clean off bugs, the pad is probably becoming contaminated with things that can and will scratch your paint (cause swirls)
    The better process is as follows:
    Wash your car making sure to remove all bugs etc.
    If there is a lot of tar on the car, remove it with tar remover or I use mineral spirits
    Most would recommend claying the car at this point (search for many postings about clay)
    At this point if there are a lot of swirls I would get a new wool pad and buff the car with Meguiars DACP or Poorboys SSR 3.
    When buffing try to hold the pad as flat as possible ... you will find that tipping it about 5-10 degrees will work best with most wool pads.
    Wipe off all remaining residue with a Micro Fiber towel or a good quality cotton one
    Now either switch to a foam polishing pad ... go over the car using Meguiars Swirl remover or swirl free polish or Poorboys SSR 2.
    If using a foam pad, keep it as flat as possible.
    Wipe off all product residue
    Now, wax or apply sealant by hand.
    I know this is a shortened version of what you need to do but check out the search feature here and also check out www.meguiars.com because they have some good instructions on their site.
    Good Luck
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    kimwallace did a fine job of explaining things to you, but I suggest sticking with only foam pads until you master your technique. Depending on what speed you are using, you could be creating a tremendous amount of heat there and are taking a big chance of burning your paint. As long as you stick with foam pads, you really can`t screw up. Do you have a PC? If not, I`d suggest getting one. You can follow behind your rotary with the pc and remove all of the rotary induced marring without a problem and will probably end up with a much better shine.

As far as products, I recommend 3M PI III RC and 3M PI III MG. You can do both with the rotary or you can do the RC with rotary and MG with PC for a really fine finish, and then top with your wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys,
    What about pressure and speed. I assume they effect the outcome. Should the weight of the buffer be enough or do you suggest a slight pressure. Also, The foam pads, how do I select one? Is it by color?Finally, The 3M, Poorboys, and Maguires products, I assume I can buy at an autoparts store?
    Thanks again, this really helps.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JasonD
    kimwallace did a fine job of explaining things to you, but I suggest sticking with only foam pads until you master your technique. Depending on what speed you are using, you could be creating a tremendous amount of heat there and are taking a big chance of burning your paint. As long as you stick with foam pads, you really can`t screw up. Do you have a PC? If not, I`d suggest getting one. You can follow behind your rotary with the pc and remove all of the rotary induced marring without a problem and will probably end up with a much better shine.

As far as products, I recommend 3M PI III RC and 3M PI III MG. You can do both with the rotary or you can do the RC with rotary and MG with PC for a really fine finish, and then top with your wax.
    Good advice. I second everything that Jason suggests.
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bhowe
    Guys,
    What about pressure and speed. I assume they effect the outcome. Should the weight of the buffer be enough or do you suggest a slight pressure. Also, The foam pads, how do I select one? Is it by color?Finally, The 3M, Poorboys, and Maguires products, I assume I can buy at an autoparts store?
    Thanks again, this really helps.
    Bill
    Pressure and speed ..... I am not a rotary expert but you shouldn`t need much pressure with a rotary and speed on a rotary is typicly around 1500rpm (if you do a search on this forum for tutorials you will find a thread that I posted that has links to all the tutorials)

Products anything thats can never be at your finger tips! 3M you will probably be able to find in your local pep-boys, auto zone ect, Poorboys products can only be purchased off the web, and the Meguiares products that everyone talks about are typically only available through specialty shops!

My recomendation to go with the PBs products! I Use to be a big fan of Meguiars and when I was introduced to PB`s it was like opening a whole new world with some added bonuses like safe to be working in the sun, and the great smell and taste! (although its not recomended that you taste them sometimes it just happens)

So where can you get all this fun stuff! Check out DetailCity`s sponsers!

they are all EXTREAMLY reputible dealers! We (the fanatics who post here often) order often so don`t hesitate to place an order plus they are quick with getting it out. Its actually easier than going to your local store and finding out they didn`t have what you wanted!

also a lot of local stores don`t sell foam buffing pads!

On that note ... Welcome to DC Detail Read Post laugh and enjoy. you will find a wonderful community of detailing crazed people here who will share just about anything on how to get your car wet!

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Focusedonsound
    although its not recomended that you taste them sometimes it just happens
    :rtfm
    Last edited by wifehatescar; 09-21-2004 at 08:08 AM.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I can get the products online, including the foam pad. What type of foam pad do you suggest? Can the rotary buffer be used to take off the final wax coat, or would a PC be better, or by hand? What do you suggest?
    Thanks,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to save a little money on the front end and are not going to be using the buffer very much, a great foam pad for the rotary can be found at many local body shop supply places. It is a Meguiars Softbuff Buffing Pad (it is a polishing pad) Part #W-1000 ... It has a backing plate glued right to the pad and is going to cost between 12.00 and 15.00.
    If you are going to use a foam pad more often I suggest the Edge system available from www.premiumautocare.com (a DC Sponser). I personally remove waxes and sealants by hand using a micro fiber towel.

Thread Information