The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Use of Micro Fiber Towels?

After reading a comment about using a damp MF towel to clean windows, I realized that I may not be using my MF towels correctly when drying, whether it be glass or paint.
    When I wipe the surface to be dried, I wipe it until it looks dry. If it takes more dry towels to get that result, then I use more dry towels. At no time do I use a damp towel that leaves any visible moisture after use. This would include washing windows, drying the vehicle after washing, using Poorboy`s S&W, using a quick detailer.
    Is this correct?

Charles

Still Around
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I use spray and Wipe sometimes there is a slight haze on the paint that goes away. I don`t wipe till it`s 100% dry all the time.

When I dry a vehicle sometimes there will be some dampness on the surface. Nothing that dries and leaves spots though.

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm.. thats an intesting point. usually when im doing glass or paint usng S&W, i use two mfs. both of thme are try. here, ill break it down for (and i may be wrong)

first thing i do is spray the S&W onto the glass. then, i get a try mf and starting wiping it. i continue to wipe it until it seemenly looks "dry enough". then i follow with another mf to take off any streaking that may have occured. i think, even if you dry some product, theres gonna be some streaking.

as for paint, i do the same thing. however, paint is a little more complicated for me. i noticed that if the car is dirty enough, and you dont spray enough S & W, it leaves behind some residue. so after i initially use S & W with one microfiber, i like to folllow with a dry one to take off anything that still may be left. it may be extra work, but for me it works best. i feel better that im taking off anything that still may be on the paint, even after S & W.

also, ive been thinking about doing this. how about spraying the S & W on the mf cloth first, as a pose to spraying the S & W on the car surface first. any of you guys do it that way?
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    When cleaning the inside of windows, I mist a little S&W onto a microfiber glass towel and wipe. If the window is fairly clean to begin with, that`s all I`ll need to do. If the window is dirtier, I`ll spray a heavier dose of S&W on the towel, wipe, and then follow up with a dry MF glass towel. The glass towels that I use have a very short weave (like crushed velvet) that leave no streaking or linting.

For exterior glass, I will follow the same procedure unless I am QDing the whole car. In that case, I just use S&W over the paint surfaces first with a plush towel. Then, I use the dampened plush towel to wipe the glass and follow up with a dry short weave glass towel.

Zesty - For painted surfaces, S&W should be sprayed directly onto the paint. The S&W lifts the dirt so that the towel can wipe it away. Let the weight of the towel make the first pass. Then, flip to a dry section and lightly wipe away the remainder of the S&W.

Post Thanks / Like
    For very lightly soiled windshields I use a glass MF upon spraying water directly to windshield. Works very well. In fact, even when used dry and I think I have a clean windshield,I wipe it and often I still see some dirt. Wow, never saw that with other mfs!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    The intent of my question was to determine if leaving some moisture behind after drying was common for many of you. It seems that some do, some don`t. Evidently, it isn`t necessary to wipe things completely dry. Next wash, I will try it.
    Thanks,
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I just let the MF absorb the excess water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    The intent of my question was to determine if leaving some moisture behind after drying was common for many of you. It seems that some do, some don`t. Evidently, it isn`t necessary to wipe things completely dry. Next wash, I will try it.
    Thanks,
    Charles

When drying a car with a ww mf for example, I would want to get it as dry as I possibly can. QDing with a regular mf towel, depends. I think the color of the car is a big factor. Black will show you anything that has evaporated with a residue left behind so I do my best to get the paint completely dry when QDing as well.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whether I`m drying the windows or paint I dry them. Absolutely no moisture is on the car. I wipe the windows dry and blot the paint.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like
    I very seldom use a window cleaner for windows I simply use a damp MF towel for the windows and it looks great - no streaks at all.
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Post Thanks / Like
    I either use 2 mf`s or a large ww mf that I can turn over so the surface is DRY. I have many times left the surface a little damp on windows only to see the streaks when the sun hits them. Wiping them dry w/the mf gets them perfectly clear.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Thread Information