Post Thanks / Like

First time DA user...should I start with an AIO or 2-Step?

I`m just starting to get into detailing. My initial focus has been the interior but am ready to start moving to the exterior. I just purchased a DA and considering either just starting with an AIO like Blackfire TPnS or going straight to a 2 step like Meguiar`s DA Microfiber Correction System Kit.

If I decide on going with BF TPnS can I use a MF pad like Lake Country Ultra-Fiber Microfiber Pads? The ability and ease of cleaning on the fly with a air compressor and throwing in the wash appeals to me. Since I`m a beginner so I`m not sure if I should go this route.

Kinda leaning towards the Meguiar`s system.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time DA user...should I start with an AIO like Blackfire TPnS or other?

What are you trying to accomplish with the DA?
    Swirls, fine scratches (paint correction) or gloss enhancement?

First, get yourself a quality (Megs makes a good one) 5" backing plate!
    Second, if your looking to do correction then I`d start with the Megs 5" cutting discs and some D300
    Third, after correction you will want to "clear up" the haze.
    Try some Megs Ultimate Polish and a LC 5.5" white or black flat pad. (it works good for a newbie)

This should get you started.

If you paint is in good condition then TPnS should work just fine.

Merlin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time DA user...should I start with an AIO or 2-Step?

Quote Originally Posted by puma1824 View Post
    I`m just starting to get into detailing. My initial focus has been the interior but am ready to start moving to the exterior. I just purchased a DA and considering either just starting with an AIO like Blackfire TPnS or going straight to a 2 step like Meguiar`s DA Microfiber Correction System Kit.

If I decide on going with BF TPnS can I use a MF pad like Lake Country Ultra-Fiber Microfiber Pads? The ability and ease of cleaning on the fly with a air compressor and throwing in the wash appeals to me. Since I`m a beginner so I`m not sure if I should go this route.

Kinda leaning towards the Meguiar`s system.

Thanks in advance.
    I`d start with an AIO like TPnS. See the results you get. If that works, then add a sealant (such as BFCS or BFWD).

If you have annoying swirls after trying the TPnS, I`d go to Megs 205 (yes, it is a finishing polish, but it won`t cut into your paint too hard). Do a test spot with the 205 and see if that solves your problem. If not, my go to cutting polish for use with a DA is Megs 101. However, 101 only comes in pretty large containers and isn`t cheap. If 101 won`t get rid of your imperfections, you are at the limits of a newbie - or even a somebe<g>...

Just one POV.
    <TED>
    Regards,
    <TED>

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time DA user...should I start with an AIO like Blackfire TPnS or other?

Ted, do you use M105 at all? Are you getting more cut out of the M101?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PapaChop View Post
    101 cuts and finishes better than 105.

To the OP. I just used HD Speed today and it is a great, user friendly AIO product. I`d recommend it.
    The Gloss Boss, LLC
    Kris Metje, Owner
    http://theglossbosscape.com

Post Thanks / Like

I was worried about being too aggressive before I started using my DA. I think I got through one panel with an AIO before I switched to Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and M205. I believe a dedicated polish generally does a better job of cutting and finishing than an AIO product. All of the modern polishes are super easy to use as well! If I was really pressed for time I might consider an AIO/cleaner wax however, I take my time polishing in order to produce the best finish possible. Using a polish before an LSP also gives us more options for wax and sealant. In general AIO`s save time but compromise in other departments. These are just my opinions. It wont take long for you to figure out what works for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PapaChop View Post
    I never actually went to 105. When I wanted something stronger than the swirl remover I had been using (Zaino), I did a bit of research on these fora and came up with 101 as the best product for my purposes. I have been happy with 101, though I don`t use it very often. It is sort of my solution of last resort.
    Regards,
    <TED>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    What are you trying to accomplish with the DA?
    Swirls, fine scratches (paint correction) or gloss enhancement?
    Good suggestions above...

(For correction) "Always try the least aggressive method first."

First, you should use 5" pads on a DA with a Megs W67DA BP.

Megs M101 with the Megs mf cutting disc is a swirl killer combination.
    Clean the mf disc between each section (compressed air or bug sponge)

Modern clear coats are thinner than the wrapper on a pack of cigarettes.
    I`d probably start with something less aggressive like Megs mf discs & D300.

Do a test spot! If D300 does not "cut it", only then I would move up to M101.
    M101 cut & finishes great but needs a fine polish (Carpro Reflect) to clear haze.

M101 may be too aggressive for a newbie. Learn with Megs D300, Megs UC and UP.
    Megs Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish are good safe "learning" compounds.
    Use them with LC 5.5" foam flat pads. Get a 6-pack 2)orange 2)white 1)black 1)blue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Gloss Boss View Post
    To the OP. I just used HD Speed today and it is a great, user friendly AIO product. I`d recommend it.
    I used HD Speed when I first started machine polishing on my first attempt and had excellent results on hard VW clear with a flat orange foam pad. And have seen a post from another user of HD Speed on soft Subaru clear who had great results with a softer flat foam pad. Very versatile product, easy to use with a great finish--just top it with your favorite LSP for a little more durability. Don`t make the mistake of using too much product though--4-5 pea sized drops to prime (not worked into the pad) and 2-3 pea sized drops for following sections.

Post Thanks / Like

When I got my first DA 3-4 years ago, it took about one hour for me to go from from being nervous about damaging the clear coat to wanting the polisher to work more quickly. I have a PC, M105, and hard clear coat. I have no idea how I would damage the clear coat with this combination. I saw a post where someone purposely set out to damage clear coat using a Flex polisher (much more powerful than a PC). They had to hold it in place for 50 seconds on the same spot to do damage. Jump in, you`ll be fine.

Suggestion: Do your first pass on a panel with M205 (or something similar). Three reasons: 1.) It`s a light polish and you can be comfortable you won`t do any damage. 2.) You`ll get a comfort level using the machine. 3.) You`ll remove the light swirls, exposing the deeper swirls. Then you`ll know where to focus your attention with the M105. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

OK so I ended up ordering the Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit as well as 3" MF cutting, finishing, and 3" backing plate.

What should I use for smaller areas where the DA won`t reach? Should I use the polish and finishing wax from the kit with hand applicators? If so, please advise....please be nice I`m just starting

Thanks in advance.

Thread Information