Post Thanks / Like

How to restore faded, yellowed, or oxidized headlights with no tools, with 3M

Faded headlights are a huge problem that isn`t going away. Instead of paying a professional big money, you can fix this problem yourself, with no tools and just a little of your time!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68qHM1O1450]How To Restore Faded Or Yellowed Headlights By Hand - YouTube[/ame]

This 3M Headlight Restoration Kit is designed to improve the clarity of headlight lenses that have become yellowed, cloudy, or hazed over time. This kit does not require tools and is designed to work by hand. By improving the clarity of the headlight lens, with this kit, you improve the performance of the headlight and enhance the appearance of the vehicle. With the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit -39084 you can achieve professional results in the comfort of your home.

For more information, or to purchase, select the product photo below.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to restore faded, yellowed, or oxidized headlights with no tools, with 3M

Have you tested this product? If not a write up would be cool.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to restore faded, yellowed, or oxidized headlights with no tools, with 3M

I had my eye on this bad boy when I was down there during Detail Fest, might have to take a look into getting one to try, because the wife`s car needs it.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

todd, what do you recommend to final coat the lenses with to avoid further yellowing in the future ? i know megs has some new stuff out Meguiars Headlight Protectant 10 oz., anyone have a chance to use it yet ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Have you tested this product? If not a write up would be cool.
    That was me in the video, I would say that it was a test. It worked great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    todd, what do you recommend to final coat the lenses with to avoid further yellowing in the future ? i know megs has some new stuff out Meguiars Headlight Protectant 10 oz., anyone have a chance to use it yet ?

I would use one of the coatings such as Gtechniq Crystal Lacquer or Opti-Coat OR The XPEL Headlight Films

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    That was me in the video, I would say that it was a test. It worked great.
    Nice hands
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I been using Opti-Seal for many years and had no problem of yellowing Steve.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been using it on non restored headlights that have not oxidized and it seems ok but from what I have read its not going to give you any long term protection on restored headlights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job Todd. This looks like a great kit for someone who only needs to do their own cars

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Nice job Todd. This looks like a great kit for someone who only needs to do their own cars
    Great kit for this!

Post Thanks / Like

I recently got a PM that stated that I had mentioned that all headlight kits were "the same" so why are different kits offered.

All headlight restoration kits are basically the same type (although different) materials that produce a similar result by using common (although different) components.

The basic idea behind restoring the headlights is that first the damage must be remove by abrasion. Headlight restoration kits are going to feature some type of abrasive medium, be it sandpaper, a liquid compound, or both.

The second, necessary step, is to remove the sanding or coarse marks with a finer (and sometimes even finer) liquid polishes.

So all Headlight Restoration kits are very similar as they are have the same (but different) basic components.

Some kits, such as this 3M Headlight Restoration Kit are designed to be used by hand.

Other kits are designed for use by machine.

At Autopia we carry a wide selection of headlight and plastic repair kits which can be viewed on this page : Headlight Care and Plastic or by clicking the banner below:

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Todd,

Another great how-to video that takes the user step by step through the process. I like the way you pointed out that with each progressive step the user systematically uses finer and finer paper removing the sanding marks from the coarser grit paper.

Paying close attention, it`s easy to see how the yellow film is removed and the clarity of the lens is restored as each step was completed.

I just purchased Griot`s 3" dual action polisher specifically for tasks such as headlights or where ever a more surgical approach is needed. I like the fact that everything today is Velcro so whether it`s sandpaper or foam pad they`ll all work with this machine...

Again, nicely done!

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    I recently got a PM that stated that I had mentioned that all headlight kits were "the same" so why are different kits offered.

All headlight restoration kits are basically the same type (although different) materials that produce a similar result by using common (although different) components.

The basic idea behind restoring the headlights is that first the damage must be remove by abrasion. Headlight restoration kits are going to feature some type of abrasive medium, be it sandpaper, a liquid compound, or both.

The second, necessary step, is to remove the sanding or coarse marks with a finer (and sometimes even finer) liquid polishes.

So all Headlight Restoration kits are very similar as they are have the same (but different) basic components.

Some kits, such as this 3M Headlight Restoration Kit are designed to be used by hand.

Other kits are designed for use by machine.

At Autopia we carry a wide selection of headlight and plastic repair kits which can be viewed on this page : Headlight Care and Plastic or by clicking the banner below:

is it not correct that the yellowing is in the protective coating from manufacturer and that film must be removed completely .3m same as Todd`s just with power tools, power we like power tools http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=0WOESJY6qgQ#!

Golden Touch Detailing
    "we are Golden"

Thread Information