Thread: Frozen Products

Post Thanks / Like

Frozen Products

In my car I keep a bottle of Blackfire Waterless Wash and Blackfire Polymer Spray...... Well they are frozen.. I will bring in the products but will they be effected at all? Or should I toss them?

I miss FL
    2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Frozen Products

Ouch that blows lol. I`m sure Todd will chime in and let you know

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, it was 30 degrees in gainesville today. NOT COOL. Although we still don`t have to worry about freezing products

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    Dude, it was 30 degrees in gainesville today. NOT COOL. Although we still don`t have to worry about freezing products
    30 ha..... I did rinseless wash in my shorts in 30

It was 9 this morning and "feels like" -1.

Today to the office I wore my suit, then a fleece, and then a downcoat and my thermals underneath. I looked like the indian Michelin man.
    2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like

The only way to know for sure is to let them thaw and check them out. I`d even shake them up and pour them into a clear container just to be sure....

It`s warmed up quite a bit, 23 right now but the suns starting to set so it`ll be dropping shortly. I suspect by morning it`ll be 0 to 4 above...

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

you could send em to me for extensive testing.....

just a thought
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dd1101 View Post
    30 ha..... I did rinseless wash in my shorts in 30

It was 9 this morning and "feels like" -1.

Today to the office I wore my suit, then a fleece, and then a downcoat and my thermals underneath. I looked like the indian Michelin man.
    Pics or it never happened!

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t see why it would... If anything being frozen would help preserve it
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    Pics or it never happened!
    It is all relative. Once you get comfortable in colder temperatures(0 degrees) 30+ degrees feels like a heat wave. I go out in sweatpants, sweatshirt and a beanie when it is 30+ degrees to wash my wheels/tires. When the sun is out it is really nice weather.

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what happened to me back in the 70`s when I didn`t know any better ....

I used Windex on my glass ( because there wasn`t much else) and when I moved all my wax & stuff into the basement for the winter I missed the bottle of Windex so it spent a Western NY winter in the garage.

When spring arrived I was moving some stuff around and found the bottle of Windex and it has separated into a really dark blue part & a clear (like water) liquid floating on top of the dark blue.

I shook it up & it seemed to mix OK but when I sprayed some on a window it was difficult to remove. It streaked, it smeared, it wouldn`t rinse off & it wouldn`t even wash off. I got a fresh bottle of Windex & all that did is spread it around even more .... thought I was going to have to sell the car.

Finally resorted to 50/50 vinegar & water and 0000 steel wool (using old school newspaper didn`t work) got the stuff off.

Moral of the story: if it freezes I wouldn`t count on product without testing on a small area first.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

looks like a good excuse to buy more detailing stuff and move back to FL. i like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Some products will survive, others will not. General oil/surfactant cleaner type products will be ok, requiring just a good shake. If they don`t go back together then you should consider that they may well be dead. Speciality type products (opticoat or cquartz etc) should be assumed dead if frozen (though this is less likely to happen). The latter are more likely to suffer warm temperatures and moisture - this will be seen by a crustiness around the closure, making it more difficult to open. Whilst they may still be functional, they will be degraded.

Another thing for everyone to remember is that ice crystal are abrasive. There is a serious risk of abrasion to paintwork through both micro ice crystals in very cold water as well as rapid formation of micro-crystals when was water contacts a very cold surface. Unfortunately this particular risk cannot be negated with the use of lubricating polymers since these are water based and will be incorporated into such abrasive crystals.

Be cautious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    The only way to know for sure is to let them thaw and check them out. I`d even shake them up and pour them into a clear container just to be sure....

It`s warmed up quite a bit, 23 right now but the suns starting to set so it`ll be dropping shortly. I suspect by morning it`ll be 0 to 4 above...
    This is your best bet. I would test them in a small spot and see if they still work as they should. You could notice some streaking or performance drop off.

To be safe I would replace them, but there is nothing wrong with trying a (small) spot and seeing what happnes

Thread Information