Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Death by Wheel Acid

I just spoke with my distributor for acid (Zep AlumE). They`ve discovered that HydroFlouric acid, when touched, breathed, or whatever, it is not only ingested through the skin, but travels through the bloodstream to the lining of the heart, which it breaks down.
    Zep has started doing courses for detailers and cleaners to authorize them to use the product. Mine is in January. Most wheel acid is HydroFlouric, and now it kills, apparantly.
    Just thought people should know. They recommend gloves (duh) and paper masks and goggles.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Death by Wheel Acid

I recently switched to Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener. It`s definately a safe alternative to HFl.

Speaking from experience, wheel acid is no fun to inhale.

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like

Zep must have finally started reading through the Detail City archives to finally learn that wheel acid is bad news.

http://detailcity.com/forums/showthr...rofluoric+acid

Post Thanks / Like

I use Wheel Brightner, and I play it safe. Always well ventilated area, and eye protection when it`s windy.
    www.exotiXboard.com

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep you don`t want to mess around with any acid wheel cleaner.

I`ve had my fair share of mishaps with it. Breathed it it, Got it in my eyes and on my hands. I`ve even sat in it before, not on purpose of course.. I don`t play around anymore. I now wear heavy duty chemical gloves any time i`m using acid. And wear goggles and a mask if the wind is going to play a factor. I also check every five gallon bucket i sit on now for overspilt acid, lol. :bump

Help, I wanna be a proton
    Post Thanks / Like

This has been common knowledge for years. There was an article about 7 or 8 years ago in Carwashing Magazine that detailed the hazards of Hf. They knew about it, but they just did not do the right thing.
    There used to be a company called "the soap warehouse" and there still might be, except it is under new ownership. The owner got some Hf on him, and even though he knew better, he put off getting medical attention. Unfortunately, he died about 6 or 7 hours later.
    Hf attacks the calcium in your bones, then it gets into the marrow, and goes to the heart. That is why a lot of mobile fleet washers, who use Hf by the drum, will carry Calcium Gluconate to try and neutralize the effects. Some times a TUMS will work, but that is too risky for me.
    Here is a link to the article.http://www.carwash.com/article.asp?IndexID=4230101

Post Thanks / Like

The literature surrounding HF is extensive, and the potential hazards should not be ignored. That said, I buy it pure (by the drum), and dilute it according to the application I have for its use. With due respect to anyone who doesn`t use it because of the "potential hazard", I`ve used it for 29 years and have spilled it on my legs and feet, had it on my hands with open cuts on them, and breathed it (which is uncomfortable).

Ciggies cause lung cancer, too much sugar and you might become a diabetic, read the warning literature on Aspirin sometime, etc etc etc.

I will quickly report back to you about any injury or ill health suffered by me or anyone in my crew resulting from the use of HF, but we haven`t seen or had a problem with this stuff yet. :eat:

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne
    Just a word of warning to anyone that ever uses heavy-duty acid based wheel cleaner products...

Be very careful, acid can KILL YOU.

Hydrofluoric acid is commonly used in heavy duty wheel cleaners and exposure to skin or enhalation of fumes can attack your body and deplete your bones of calcium within hours, if not minutes!

Don`t think that sulfuric acid is any safer! Mixing sulfuric acid and ammonium bifluride together in a wheel cleaner CREATES HYDROFLUORIC ACID!

I`m not pointing any fingers at any company or brand. Since this thread did get on the subject of acid based wheel cleaners I am obligated as the owner of this website and as someone knows that acid is not something to take lightly to mention the dangers of HF acid. It is out their on the market.

If someone insists on using this type or product please be aware of the risks involved to both person and property and take precautionary measures to ensure both your own personal safety and also those that may be in the surrounding area.

Dwayne
    Very informative! Just a question regarding meguiars wheel brightener. Im guessing the same steps should be taken to protect with this too? I have this and must admit I have never taken any steps for protecting myself. I dilute at 3:1 but you can still smell the acid.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm. i use poorboys spray and rinse a lot when cleaning the inside of rims and ive gone as far as letting drips fall on my skin and let air dry while im cleaning the rim. ive also never taken any precaution when it comes to this.

so the main question is, "does poorboys spray and inse fall into the category u guys speak of"?

ive even had some spill into a cut when trying to clean far back into the wheel wells. stung like hell, but just rinsed off, and kept on cleaning...

i feel like such a tool now, not knowing these dangers, or better said, not following the rules when playing with chemicals.
    • JoYRiiDE
    //2007 BMW 335i e90 Sedan // Montego Blue // Black.Aluminum//

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joyriide1113
    hmmm. i use poorboys spray and rinse a lot when cleaning the inside of rims and ive gone as far as letting drips fall on my skin and let air dry while im cleaning the rim. ive also never taken any precaution when it comes to this.

so the main question is, "does poorboys spray and inse fall into the category u guys speak of"?

ive even had some spill into a cut when trying to clean far back into the wheel wells. stung like hell, but just rinsed off, and kept on cleaning...

i feel like such a tool now, not knowing these dangers, or better said, not following the rules when playing with chemicals.

we don`t use HF acid in our Spray & Rinse as there are safer alternatives, that being said, always use precautions when using strong chemicals, such as gloves, eye protection, and wash your hands or any part of you thoroughly that gets in direct contact. Chemicals in the wrong hands are always dangerous, but as said, people who are professionals and understand the danger and risks and use precautions should be fine...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy
    we don`t use HF acid in our Spray & Rinse as there are safer alternatives, that being said, always use precautions when using strong chemicals, such as gloves, eye protection, and wash your hands or any part of you thoroughly that gets in direct contact. Chemicals in the wrong hands are always dangerous, but as said, people who are professionals and understand the danger and risks and use precautions should be fine...
    good to know. as for precautions. i will take em to heart.

anyone know anything about simplegreen. when spraying the wells ive gotten a whiff and inhaled. made me choke pretty bad for a second.
    • JoYRiiDE
    //2007 BMW 335i e90 Sedan // Montego Blue // Black.Aluminum//

I love silicone !! Hawaiianelement's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The literature surrounding HF is extensive, and the potential hazards should not be ignored. That said, I buy it pure (by the drum), and dilute it according to the application I have for its use. With due respect to anyone who doesn`t use it because of the "potential hazard", I`ve used it for 29 years and have spilled it on my legs and feet, had it on my hands with open cuts on them, and breathed it (which is uncomfortable).

Ciggies cause lung cancer, too much sugar and you might become a diabetic, read the warning literature on Aspirin sometime, etc etc etc.

I will quickly report back to you about any injury or ill health suffered by me or anyone in my crew resulting from the use of HF, but we haven`t seen or had a problem with this stuff yet. :eat:
    i was getting nervous before reading your post Eddie , I thought I MIGHT CROAK RIGHT HERE. i really do need to take more precautions with this stuff. i do the same as you with the open cuts and everything. In fact just today I used 2 squirt bottles full. Diluted 3:1 ...
    04 Honda Element-Mobile Detailing
    02 BMW 325Ci Tit. Slvr. Sprt,Prem.
    05 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Red Magma

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzz
    Zep must have finally started reading through the Detail City archives to finally learn that wheel acid is bad news.

http://detailcity.com/forums/showthr...rofluoric+acid
    See spelling it wrong means searches don`t work!

Except for my first time using it, I`ve used gloves. I`ll add the paper mask and goggles, though I do have glasses so I`ve never felt it in my eyes.

I don`t use a lot on wheels because it breaks down brakes. I do use it a little on nice aluminum wheels. Mostly I use acid for an acid dip for one particular process our shop has. It is a dealership and that step is part of it.
    Brenton Dickieson

Winter Hold in Effect
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joyriide1113
    good to know. as for precautions. i will take em to heart.

anyone know anything about simplegreen. when spraying the wells ive gotten a whiff and inhaled. made me choke pretty bad for a second.

From the bottle:

PRECAUTIONS: Keep out of the reach of children (Does that include us?) This product is non-toxic for general health. Please follow good safety practices. Avoid eye contact. (Does this mean don`t look it in the eye?) Mild eye irritation after eye contact may occur associated with polyethyleneglycol ether derivatives. If eye contact occurs, remove contact lenses and flush eyes well with water. Use in a well-ventilated area. Individuals with sensitive skin should take appropriate precautions. Do not dispose of degreasing rinseates into or near storm drains, oceans, lakes or streams.

So its ok, unless you splash it in your eye while dumping your rinseates(cool word) into the Atlantic. :ermm:

Post Thanks / Like

To be able to clean wheels quickly isnt worth it, this stuff is no joke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information