PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber towels

Pages : [1] 2 3

WickedLTZ
06-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Hey everyone,

I just recently joined the message board after reading many of the posts.

Right now for my personal detailing I am using terry cloth towels to do all of my work but I am wanting to switch to microfiber. So my question is this: Is a cheap microfiber towel still better than my terry cloth towels or should I wait until I can afford the higher quality microfiber toweling? I bought my towels awhile ago so they are starting to get worn out and dirty.

Thanks

Wasatch
06-05-2005, 07:38 AM
Do yourself a favor and buy some higher quality MFs for your paint. Keep the ones you have for tires, wheels, door jambs, engine.....

C. Charles Hahn
06-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Personally, I don`t find that the "higher quality" (aka higher price) MF towels are any better than the best of the "cheap MFs" you can buy. For my vehicles, and for my customers` vehicles, I just use ones I pick up at Sam`s Club. I use the Hometex-brand MFs (light blue) that come in an 18 pack for something like 12 bucks (don`t recall price for sure).

They are definitely going to be drastically better than even a 100% Cotton bath towel (what I previously used, and still use for interiors when blotting carpets and upholstery dry). :xyxthumbs

BTW, welcome to autopia. Did you perchance get referred here from the Trailblazer message board I frequent (TBECentral.com)? Just curious. If not, well then I guess I just referred you over there! My screen name there is "02EnvoySLE Guy" :wavey (as if that doesn`t make it obvious what I drive LOL)

03Black1.8t
06-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

Personally, I don`t find that the "higher quality" (aka higher price) MF towels are any better than the best of the "cheap MFs" you can buy. For my vehicles, and for my customers` vehicles, I just use ones I pick up at Sam`s Club. I use the Hometex-brand MFs (light blue) that come in an 18 pack for something like 12 bucks (don`t recall price for sure).

They are definitely going to be drastically better than even a 100% Cotton bath towel (what I previously used, and still use for interiors when blotting carpets and upholstery dry). :xyxthumbs

BTW, welcome to autopia. Did you perchance get referred here from the Trailblazer message board I frequent (TBECentral.com)? Just curious. If not, well then I guess I just referred you over there! My screen name there is "02EnvoySLE Guy" :wavey (as if that doesn`t make it obvious what I drive LOL)

2ND THAT.

I bought some "better quality mf`s" and they are less plush, less effective on removing QD, and all around lesser towel than the 18pack from sam`s. :woot:

a.k.a. Patrick
06-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Your better off searching for popularity/opinion of towels. Ive come across some aweful bad ones in the local auto stores. Course I cant see paying high dollar for a MF anyway.

Youll find as many people saying the opposite of what "Shiny" said, so your really on your own with this one, I guess youll have to learn as the rest of us have! Everyone has there favorite one or two "go to`s".

WickedLTZ
06-05-2005, 09:12 AM
No I hadn`t even found a good Trailblazer / Envoy message board yet, so thanks for referring me to that one!

Thanks for the replies, sounds like I am going to Sam`s Club. :)

buellwinkle
06-05-2005, 09:15 PM
I like the Costco ones, under a buck each. I just came back from the Pomona Car Show and Swap Meet and there was a guy selling the Costco mf towels for $5 each, what a deal.

Keep in mind that when you get 16 mf towels like at Costco for $10, you won`t feel guilty about using a dozen just to do one car. I can easily go through that if I wash/clay/polish/wax. I stil use terry towels for interior shampoo/cleaning, tires/wheels, engine compartment, convertible top as terry is more abbresive and able to clean those better than mf towels.

As for the fancy towels, I tried the Meguiars ones that are pricy, probably because of the fancy satin edging but I hate the way the satin feels/sounds against the paint.

imported_Kraig
06-05-2005, 10:17 PM
I find that the Costco towels pick up any and all stray dirt and never let it go. I really like the green detailing towels sold from the Autopia store, I use them for almost everything but drying.

BigAl3
06-05-2005, 11:52 PM

Personally, I don`t find that the "higher quality" (aka higher price) MF towels are any better than the best of the "cheap MFs" you can buy. For my vehicles, and for my customers` vehicles, I just use ones I pick up at Sam`s Club. I use the Hometex-brand MFs (light blue) that come in an 18 pack for something like 12 bucks (don`t recall price for sure)

agreed, and it`s what i`ve been saying all along about these particular mf`s. they are very nice indeed! :up

JamRWS6
06-05-2005, 11:56 PM

Not true. A high quality 100% supima cotton bath towel is just as safe as the highest quality microfiber.

There ARE cheap microfibers made that WILL scratch.

We`re also going to have to redefine what "drastically better" means. Safer? NO. More absorbent? Yes.

That said...I use the Sonus Microfibers and they all pass the CD scratch test....as do all of my 100% cotton towels I use. :)

im_wicked247
06-06-2005, 12:21 AM
Besides the color, whats the difference between the Sam`s MF towel and the Costco MF towel? Is one better than the other?

BigAl3
06-06-2005, 12:31 AM
the sams club mf`s are better, imo...

im_wicked247
06-06-2005, 12:43 AM
Damn, I just bought 2 packs from Costco!!!

Why are the ones from Sam`s better?

BigAl3
06-06-2005, 12:47 AM
if you like the costco ones better then stick with them. some people on here may like those better then the sams club, you know what i mean? ;)

im_wicked247
06-06-2005, 01:03 AM
I`m new to the detailing world. Just bought a 2003 black TL-S and want to keep the paint in perfect condition. I plan on using the whole Menzerna line-up.

As for the MF towels I havent opened the Costco ones so if there is big difference between the Sam`s and Costco I could always return them and get the Sams.