PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber towels

Pages : 1 [2] 3

buellwinkle
06-06-2005, 06:23 AM
I think the big difference is if you belong to Sam`s club (aka Walmart with a fee) or Costco. Suprisingly, we caught them using Costco mf towels at Meguiars headquarters.

ShiroChanWRX
06-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Question re: these less expensive MF towels:

How do you all care for them? One of the things that I have noticed about cheaper MF towels is that they tend to "roll up" when washed for the first time...I use only the lowest setting in the drier, and I never have this problem with "premium MF" from autopia.

Am I washing them wrong? I`d hate to get a dozen MFs and have them wrecked the first time I wash...what are your favorite MF washing techniques?

BigAl3
06-06-2005, 10:59 AM
i wash my mf`s in warm water with liquid tide and dry on the low setting in the dryer. works perfect with no problems....

okstatepike
06-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by buellwinkle

I think the big difference is if you belong to Sam`s club (aka Walmart with a fee) or Costco. Suprisingly, we caught them using Costco mf towels at Meguiars headquarters.

Really? Interesting...

ShiroChanWRX
06-06-2005, 01:43 PM
I picked up some of the Sam`s Club MF today -- HomeTec is the company, based in California. Blue towels, 70/30 blend, made in China. They feel very, very good. Much nicer in appearance than the MicroTec towels at WalMart, although it appears that the HomeTec towels are popping up there, too. The difference is that the WalMart HomeTec towels are 14" x 14" and cost $5 for 8. The Sam`s Club ones are 16" x 16" and cost $10 for 16!

Based on the good reviews from folks here, I picked up the Sam`s Club towels and will be using them this weekend...I hope that they hold up to washing and low dry heat. I hate it when cheap microfiber curls.

This appears to be a very good deal. I mean, the MF looks and feels VERY good.

imported_animes2k
06-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I picked up a bag of them from Costco today, but plan on using them for interiors, door jambs, etc... 20 yellow 16x16 towels for $10. Can`t beat that!

obbop
06-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Wal-Mart has that BIG MF towell I use for drying. Sure works well for me. I can completely dry a long-bed full size pick-up and not wring the towell out once.

I am impressed with how it sucks up the water.

Forgot the cost but was only a little more than the 6-packs of smaller towells.

It has held up to 6 or so washings with no change in appearance, feel as according to the tactile senses and the water-sucking ability also stays the same.

I feel no need to buy the "fancy" high-priced critters as advertised on TV. Well, not on TV but as seen on various Web sites. Not to say those higher-priced fellahs` aren`t better, just that for my needs I rely on Wally.

But, remember those infamous words of yore:

Thine mileage may vary.

I still use cotton cloth after applying my Liquid Glass sealant. The cotton seems to slide and glide across the surface better than MF.

C. Charles Hahn
06-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by im_wicked247

Besides the color, whats the difference between the Sam`s MF towel and the Costco MF towel? Is one better than the other?

I find that the yellow (microtex) sams club MF and the few costco ones I`ve had the chance to try have a tendency to lint like mad, whereas I`ve had NO lint at all from the sams hometex towels.

C. Charles Hahn
06-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by JamRWS6

Not true. A high quality 100% supima cotton bath towel is just as safe as the highest quality microfiber.

There ARE cheap microfibers made that WILL scratch.

We`re also going to have to redefine what "drastically better" means. Safer? NO. More absorbent? Yes.

That said...I use the Sonus Microfibers and they all pass the CD scratch test....as do all of my 100% cotton towels I use. :)

Well I guess that`s what I meant, more that it`s easier to buff product off with an MF than with a 100% cotton supima. I used to use the cotton exclusively, and resisted the MF movement for a long time, but now that I`ve started using the hometex, I`m never looking back. :xyxthumbs

BigAl3
06-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

I`ve had NO lint at all from the sams hometex towels.

:up

WickedLTZ
06-08-2005, 06:03 AM
I bought 2 packs of the HomeTex towels at Sam`s and I agree they are great. They pick up the dirt like no other towel I have had before. Now I just need to find a good Waffle Weave drying towel somewhere.

Mochamanz1
06-08-2005, 06:41 AM
I have many of the yellow costco towels @ 12 for $8.99, they are soft, and fluffy and do not scratch the paint, but I became spoiled by PakShak`s towels, they cost much more but IMHO, are the best !

BigAl3
06-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by mochamanz

PakShak`s towels, they cost much more but IMHO, are the best !

i`m sure they are nice, but there are other mf`s out there that are just as good (not bashing). all that matters is what each person likes. to each his own.... :)

goceltics34
06-08-2005, 10:43 AM
I wouldn`t say that Costco or Sam`s club mf`s are just as good. You get what you pay for. I have some of them and holding them side by side there is definitely a different. If you don`t want to spend so much for a high quality mf, I don`t blame you. They get expensive. Just don`t expect the same quality because they just aren`t.

Pakshak`s mf`s are unbelievable. You need to own some of them to truly appreciate them.

BigAl3
06-08-2005, 12:05 PM
i understand what you are saying. but, it doesn`t mean that you can`t achieve the "same" results with other mf`s... for example, the new megs supreme mf`s which are relatively inexpensive, and available otc. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5686