PDA

View Full Version : costco microfiber

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

zevo
01-01-2005, 09:25 PM
I remember in the past hearing good things about costco MF, but then I did a search on them which left me a bit confused. Are they a decent quality towel and does it really matter if they were made in China or Korea?

ncal
01-01-2005, 09:32 PM
There is a debate about the quality of Chinese vs. Korean microfiber manufacturers. Several distributors have stated that they have found that in general they have better luck with Korean made microfiber towels in terms of quality. It really depends on the factory though, whether or not the majority of Korean microfibers are of higher quality than their Chinese competitors. As far as the quality of the Costco towels, I find that they are pretty nice and use them for less critical procedures. Then for things like polishing/waxing I prefer to use my better towels. I`d give them a shot, at around 8 dollars a bag it won`t hurt to try for yourself.

MaThGr82
01-01-2005, 11:16 PM
I picked up two bags of them yesterday from Sam`s Club. They are nice to use on wheels, Interiors, and windows. But like ncal said, when removing polishes and waxes, it is better to use the nicers ones if you can.

6']['9
01-01-2005, 11:21 PM
theyre pretty nice to begin w/ but then after washing them a couple of times they tend to get kinda rough... my MF;s i got from pac are still plush even after being washed a couple of times.

RCBuddha
01-01-2005, 11:49 PM
I too found the quality of the Costco MF`s to be suspect. Mine tend to lose their softness after washing. Not only that, but they lint like crazy! I`ve been using them mostly for the interior and chrome.....I`ve acutually found the MF towels from Target and Walmart (the blue ones) to be of better quality.....

Pondscum
01-02-2005, 06:08 AM
I haven`t had any trouble with the Costco towels linting. The thing about them is they have a very high thread count, so they will me more apt to pick up lint from other sources. I only wash them with other quality MF towels and I hang them up to dry.

zevo
01-02-2005, 07:01 AM
Are the Costco MF`s the detailers choice brand?

Peter Crowl
01-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by 6`][`9

theyre pretty nice to begin w/ but then after washing them a couple of times they tend to get kinda rough... my MF;s i got from pac are still plush even after being washed a couple of times.

Mine got stiff as well till I learned here that the addition of vinegar to the rinse cycle takes care of that..It does.

Peter...in Denver

Intercooled
01-02-2005, 09:11 AM
I bought a pack of the MFs over last summer.( these ones were yellow) They appeared to be good. Mine leave alot of lint and they turned out to be a dissapointment. I use them now for "rag" work. Cleaning door jams, wheel well moldings & applying bumper dressing. I use My good Pak Shaks for the paint!

For the money the Costco MFs are great for what I call "rag" work.

P.S. I thought they were terrible on glass!

6']['9
01-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Peter Crowl

Mine got stiff as well till I learned here that the addition of vinegar to the rinse cycle takes care of that..It does.

Peter...in Denver

ill have to try that.

fertzguy
01-02-2005, 11:01 AM
If your dont want to scratch your paint dont use these wholesale club towels for any type of application to your paint. Use only a high quality towel. The warehouse club towels are great for secondary detailing like wheels tires door jam etc but never never use them on your paint no matter what you wash them in period paragraph full stop

imported_wblynch
01-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Baloney. I`ve use Costco mf (yellow) even on Mercedes and Jaguars and they work great.

You must remove the tags and the little tab left behind inside the stitching. And you can not put them in the dryer. And espceially no "Bounce" dryer sheets.

I`ve used $7 Meg`s MF and the yellow Costco`s and the Blue Walmart`s and they all work equally well.

Bill D
01-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by fertzguy

If your dont want to scratch your paint dont use these wholesale club towels for any type of application to your paint. Use only a high quality towel. The warehouse club towels are great for secondary detailing like wheels tires door jam etc but never never use them on your paint no matter what you wash them in period paragraph full stop

I couldn`t agree more. I have too much hard work,time and money invested in the appearance of my paint to chance on bargain mfs. I`d use them for the above applications only. I save money in other areas such as non critical cleaning chemicals. I`d also be aware of the frequent false economy of bargain ones: they simply aren`t as durable and consistently plush (safe for paint) as the premium ones

C. Charles Hahn
01-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by MaThGr82

I picked up two bags of them yesterday from Sam`s Club. They are nice to use on wheels, Interiors, and windows. But like ncal said, when removing polishes and waxes, it is better to use the nicers ones if you can.

I don`t use `em on glass, they always seem to lint for me, BAD. I use `em for wheels, under the hood, and door jams. I find the ones from Wal Mart work really well on glass though :nixweiss

Peter Crowl
01-02-2005, 12:02 PM
I am not writing this to question the wisdom of the Elders.....just reporting the results of a test.

In previous threads it was agreed that if you can rub it on a blank CD and not get scratches it`s an OK towel.

I did that just now with 2 freshly laundered MF`s. A Costco towel and a SONUS waffel weave drying towel. Of course I don`t use a drying towel to remove polish or LSP`s...but it was close at hand so what the heck.

Costso Towel.... Aggressive rubbing as you`d do to remove a LSP. Nothing. No scratches.

Sonus Waffel Weave Towel...Scratches. Probably because of something that didn`t launder out of the towel from drying...but nevertheless.

From this I`d postulate that Costco towels can be safe to use ... High End towels can be unsafe. I believe laundering and proper storage have as much to do with it as anything.

>>>EDIT<<<

Costco Bulk Pack Cotton Towel...laundered as the MF`s...no scratching.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Respectfully submitted.....

Peter..in Denver