PDA

View Full Version : costco microfiber

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

imported_The Uncle
01-06-2005, 03:10 PM
I think the COSTCO MF`s are OK to use on paint once or twice. I just don`t think I`d want them to be my "Go to" MFs (the ones that I reach for on each of my weekly details). I`m personally going to stick with the PAKSHAK MFs for polishing, buffing, etc, and I`ll use the Costco ones for tires, door jams, etc.

joshcaro
01-06-2005, 03:17 PM
This subject has troubled me for quite sometime now.

Costco/Walmart towels vs. Online Distrubutors that is.

I have a feeling that if these Costco and Walmart towels were sold online by a well known company such as Pakshak or Autogeek or something to that nature that we would have a lot more respect..correct?

I feel a lot of MF`s get caught up in marketing rather than what the towel truly can do. You can take a 9 buck MF from an online company...test it on a cd..and get the same results as a Walmart towel.

Does anyone feel this way? I feel that ANY microfiber towel is better than NO microfiber.

Bill D
01-06-2005, 04:59 PM
CUtNAction,

I have to disagree. If the online vendors sell a mf like this, especially as anything more than a "second" or "all purpose/work" towel I`m sure they wouldn`t hear the end of it. However, that doesn`t make every product they sell "unbeatable" and "golden".

Sure the mfs in question can do the same thing but as some legitimately are concerned about : at what risk to the paint and how well over time

joshcaro
01-06-2005, 05:04 PM
I may have to agree that over time the "cheaper" ones could be put your paint at risk.

Its just that I personally have tested the cheap ones versus online vendor ones and find really not much difference or enough difference to see myself spending 5-6 bucks extra per towel.

Also no matter what you do and how careful you are swirls and imperfections will always appear at least over time. Most of us (Autopians) polish our cars quite frequently eliminating these imperfections. I dont think many of us even give the cheap towels time to really scratch/swirl the paint before we polish our cars:)

Would you agree with the statement that any microfiber is better than no microfiber (using towels such as terry cloth and such)?

Bill D
01-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Yes I`d agree with that statement but I also must say I have paid no more than $5 a piece for premium mfs with the exception of DF Towels which are really more of an apples to oranges comparison.

There are some good prices and deals often from many of the online vendors mentioned here. You truly can get premium stuff at much lower than a premium price.

joshcaro
01-06-2005, 05:09 PM
I will also agree that there is a difference between the ultra and mega plus vs el cheapos.

I guess my whole argument would be the fact that you can get good quality or at least suffice for most needs without blowing your entire budget.

While I would love to have the mega plush and utlra plush towels from Pakshak (as much as I love my paint) I cant really see forking out more than 3 bucks PER towel.

I am more than impressed with towels such as the excel detail supreme towel. Very nice plushness for about 2.50 a fraction of the cost of a lot of others.

Funny thing is I never used Spreadsheet until i started detailing. Now i find myself adding items I would like, items I have, items I need into a spreadsheet. What have you guys done to me??!?!

joshcaro
01-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

There are some good prices and deals often from many of the online vendors mentioned here. You truly can get premium stuff at much lower than a premium price.

Exactly!!!

Bill D
01-06-2005, 05:12 PM
It does boil down to the "find a product you like and use it often" conclusion ( borrowed from Mike Phillips` sig).

I like to have a budget as well and shopping wisely online for MFs as well as other products has never put me over it.

He he, you`re not the first who has used a spreadsheet for buying detailing products ;) :D

joshcaro
01-06-2005, 05:12 PM
I want to add that Im not trying to downgrade Pakshak or anyones quality microfibers!!!

And I would be more than happy to accept donations of Microfibers to help change my mind:)

Bill D
01-06-2005, 05:13 PM
I think all of us would ;) :)

Peter Crowl
01-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Is this it then?

imported_The Uncle
01-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by CutNAction

This subject has troubled me for quite sometime now.

Costco/Walmart towels vs. Online Distrubutors that is.

I have a feeling that if these Costco and Walmart towels were sold online by a well known company such as Pakshak or Autogeek or something to that nature that we would have a lot more respect..correct?

I feel a lot of MF`s get caught up in marketing rather than what the towel truly can do. You can take a 9 buck MF from an online company...test it on a cd..and get the same results as a Walmart towel.

Does anyone feel this way? I feel that ANY microfiber towel is better than NO microfiber.

I don`t agree at all with regard to MF towels. The main reason being that I`ve tried them all, and do find the Pakshak ones to last better be of better quality. So, I am not reacting to branding issues at all here - but actual experience.

That said, I think that local inexpensive products can be superior to (or just as good as) lots of premium stuff you get over the internet. For example, I can get a big bottle of NXT carwash soap at any Pep Boys. IMO, NXT soap works just as well as some of the more expensive mail order products.

Similarly, Megs #16 is available locally, and seems to be competitive with much more expensive waxes.

And, I`ve gottten lots of applicators, sponges, and other products at Target that work great - just as well as more expensive mail order stuff.

Bill D
01-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Well said Uncle :up

joshcaro
01-06-2005, 05:49 PM
I think i need to face these prices and purchase more towels from different vendors and do a more complete testing. I trust you guys as you all have been in this longer than I have . What can i say I really try to do my research before blowing money on anything. I also understand you sometimes have to pay the extra dollar to get the extra quality.

Bill D
01-06-2005, 05:54 PM
CutNAction

Very smart :up

Perfect example: I just bought a Trek bike I could`ve gotten in town but a) their customer service wasn`t terrific b) they didn`t even have the model I wanted in stock and c) their price was a good $50 more so I gladly traveled an hour out of my way, to another bike shop that is outstanding ! Great service, great selection and a great price. I spent the extra $50 I would`ve spend in town on bike accessories.

The bikes is all detailed :D and a coat of SG is curing on it overnight tonight ;)

Sorry for getting OT. I`ll get back to MFs