PDA

View Full Version : Car Show coming up, can`t make up my mind as to which products to use

Pages : [1] 2

JasonD
12-23-2004, 09:54 PM
I just found out today that my Expedition is going to be in a local car show which is held in the New Orleans Superdome. The show is somewhere around the first or second week of January and I`m trying to decide as to what products to use on the detail. The reason I`m not just doing my usual is because of the lighting. I`d like to get input from anyone that is familiar with indoor stadium type lighting and what would look best on my black Expedition in there. Obviously, durability has no bearing on this decision, just what will look good for the weekend. Here`s the products I have, you tell me what would look best in there:

Vanilla Moose

Moose Wax

Carnauba Moose Wax

Klasse AIO

Klasse SG

Pinnacle Souveran Paste

Pinnacle Souveran Liquid

P21S Paste

Einszett Glanz Wax

Poorboy`s EX

Poorboy`s EX-P

Wolfgang

Scottwax
12-23-2004, 09:57 PM
We are assuming properly prepped paint, right?

I`d go with VM/CMW/Souveran Paste or AIO/EX/Souveran paste.

JasonD
12-23-2004, 09:58 PM
Of course, prep is #1 but I know what I`m doing about that. This is just a LSP choice I`m trying to make.

I usually do VM, EX, Souveran. That`s what I have on there now but that seemed a bit glossy for the stadium lighting, so I was thinking I needed something a little more shiny instead but maybe not.

This is going to be a full, *wheel`s off* detail so I want to make sure it comes out perfect. I plan on spending one whole day on just the engine, visible undercarriage, wheelwells, and wheels.

Scottwax
12-23-2004, 10:06 PM
Under harsh lighting you will probably want a very liquid look so the lights don`t wash out the color. Maybe just prep with #80 and go with Souveran x 2.

JasonD
12-23-2004, 10:11 PM
I`m not going to need to much prep since I just did a full detail not that long ago. Since I don`t have #80 like you suggested, I am kind of leaning toward 1Z MP, VM, EX x 2, Souveran. I was thinking AIO under EX but VM should make it look more liquid like you`re saying I need.

To be honest, I was thinking you might say to use Wolfgang. I was under the impression that WG was a highly reflective, wet looking sealant.

Scottwax
12-23-2004, 10:16 PM
You might now want it to be super reflective under artificial lighting, it may make it look washed out to some extent. WG is actually pretty soft looking for a sealant.

You might not need a glaze, just maybe WG, EX or CMW and top with Souveran.

JasonD
12-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Hmm, interesting. So back to AIO, EX, Souveran?

stilez
12-23-2004, 10:23 PM
AIO/EX/Souveran

Jeez, I`m doubting these judges are gonna be like, "Well its too glossy, not enough depth"...but I hear ya...I`d do the same :)

Scottwax
12-23-2004, 10:24 PM
Maybe not even AIO unless you need to clean the paint up a little. Actually, Meguiars #81 might be best but you didn`t list it.

This is #80, NXT, Wolfgang x 2 and Souveran x 2 on my car:

http://www.scottwax.com/scott/my_626_side_souveranx2.jpg

That probably is the look you are after since under artificial lighting it will still look deep and liquid.

Scottwax
12-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by GSRstilez

AIO/EX/Souveran

Jeez, I`m doubting these judges are gonna be like, "Well its too glossy, not enough depth"...but I hear ya...I`d do the same :)

True, but the problem is that artificial lighting can make super shiny paint look flat.

JasonD
12-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by GSRstilez

AIO/EX/Souveran

Oh, I`m almost positive they aren`t going to be like that but I`m too anal to not think they are. :o

JasonD
12-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Yes, I think that`s the look that should work in the lighting I will be in, but I`d rather not have to buy even more stuff.

On the mild polish level I have:

1Z MP

Sonus Paintwork Cleanser

AIO

Will any of these fit the bill?

I basically just need something for prep before WG and Souveran

Scottwax
12-23-2004, 10:35 PM
Of those three, I`d go with AIO.

JasonD
12-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Okay, I think I am going to do that and I may still go buy some Meg`s just to have on hand. I think the only products I don`t have yet are PB`s SSR`s and Meg`s, so it`s getting to be about that time. I`d like to get #80, #81, and #83 to play with and if I do, I will go with your #80 suggestion. Thanks for the input Scott, you were very helpful.

Scottwax
12-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Jason-you`re welcome. The thing you will notice about #80 is that it finishes very wet, which is noticably different from the crisper reflections and gloss of #82 or #9.