PDA

View Full Version : Newbie.WOW

Pages : [1] 2

saling4
10-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Don`t take offense, but I hear you guys/gals talking about wash soap and I think "It`s SOAP for god`s sake." I have been using Blue Coral Carnuba wash soap. I bought Mequiars Detail wash and OMG!!!!!! I apologize to ya`ll. That was night and day. Newbies listen to these folks, even the simplest things can matter. Can`t wait to get a PC now.

Thanks guys/Gals:bounce

Robb
10-30-2004, 05:25 PM
Welcome, watch your bank account go down, this hobby is very addicting. :)

If you have any questions, theres plenty of helpful people around, best of luck.

dcswd
10-30-2004, 07:25 PM
:welcome

You still have 200 more car wash products to try out!!! lol

Yeah... we look for the minor differences.

saling4
10-30-2004, 08:38 PM
Only 200 more.........good thing I have 6 cars. Now I guess I have to try something other than the Meq`s 3 stage system. I know , I know there is 3000 waxes to try..................sigh:shocked

Raven
10-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Welcome, your going to need all six cars to try out all the new detailing supplies your going to end up buying. It really is addictive!

X-Trail
10-30-2004, 10:22 PM
Next thing you know, your neighbours might start saying " you waxing your car again? didn`t you do it last week?"

BookemDano
10-30-2004, 10:23 PM
Ah, yes...

And did you realize that there are several major vendors of pads. And some of the vendors have different model lines. And in each line the can come in different sizes. And for each size they come in up to six colors for different purposes!

And, shall we wax eloquent about the different polishes, sealants and waxes (pardun the pun).

Oh, wait... Did someone mention Microfiber towels?!? Now that`s good for some SERIOUS discussion.

And, did you know that there are several brands of clay and some are better than others?!?

But more important, let`s not forget QD`s. Uhhhh... You do know what a QD is. Correct? Whoa. Now that`s a subject!

Just kidding, welcome to our wonderful, wacky world. We spend mondo large dollars and long hours to get the last 1% of shine out of our paint. We agonize when we spot a minor swirl under florescent lights (which 99.99% of the rest of the free world would NEVER spot).

Sounds really bad doesn`t it? Well, your first emotional jolt comes when you polish out your car and step back and say, "Whoa! Is that MY car?" Or when you park your car, start walking away and then take a quick look over your shoulder and think, "Dammmmmnnnnnnn, that looks nice!" Or when you park your 3 year old Audi at the Toyota dealership (to pick up parts for your Wife`s Toyota) and the resident salesman walks up, hesitates for a fraction of a second, and then says, "Nice car!". (You know the guy isn`t BS`ing because his eyes widened just a bit as he looked at your car.)

So welcome to our insanity. You`ll love it. Dive in; the water`s fine.

Regards,

Dan.

X-Trail
10-30-2004, 10:47 PM
Microfibers... The woman`s answer to men doing laundry.

Peter Crowl
10-30-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by X-Trail

Microfibers... The woman`s answer to men doing laundry.

Heh Heh Heh...

Then one day you`re in the shower and you look at the fixtures. You`ve looked at them every day for years...but today you see hard water spots....you think Hmmm..I should clean these up...I bet I could get a good shine on that chrome...Maybe if I put a couple coats of Collonite 476 on them they`d stay nice for a while...

That`s the day you either embrace it or flee in terror.

Peter...who has embraced it...in Denver

saling4
10-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Heck, I already see dirty cars.....I wonder where they came from? Don`t get me talking about swirl marks. They didn`t exist a few months ago and now I see them everywhere. What is it about this sight? After you are here for awhile your eyes get better?:shocked

TW85 HHI
10-31-2004, 12:34 AM
What is even worse than spotting all the faults on cars is when you think about the process you would use to make it as perfect of a finish as possible.

saling4
10-31-2004, 01:29 AM
Well since you guys are so helpful......LOL. Now that I have found swirls in my single stage off white paint , What do I use to get rid of them? Now all of a sudden they annoy the Heck out of me.:mad:

X-Trail
10-31-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by TW85 HHI

What is even worse than spotting all the faults on cars is when you think about the process you would use to make it as perfect of a finish as possible.

Thats exactly what i do!!!!!

Carl Anderson
10-31-2004, 08:09 AM
I`m about to go jogging. I used to look at the trees and the sky, and to some extent I still do. But mostly I look at the cars. I think of what I could do with that car, and why the owners are letting these poor vehicles suffer so much. The irony is that three years ago I never looked at cars. I took my own cars through the automataic car washes, and if I washed them myself I used dish detergent. I can`t remember ever waxing. Now I`m hoping the weather will hold so I can wash, clay, AIO and Souveran my jet black paint.

BookemDano
10-31-2004, 10:55 AM
Sounds like you caught the fever. The first stage is cleaning the car really well. And the car look MUCH better... Except that now you can see the spider webs, swirls, micromarring etc.

Wecome to the next stage - the REAL basics. Stop by Lowes if you have one there. A PC 7336 is on sale for $99. That gets you the PC.

Then get a set of LC, Sonus or Edge pads. For the complete PC newbie, these LC 6" constant pressure pads might work best for you. Here`s the basic info:

http://www.properautocare.com/hi612infopaa.html

Here`s a kit that gives you pads plus the correct backing plate:

http://www.properautocare.com/hipadkitwive.html

For sealants or waxes, look at Autopia, www.properautocare.com or Zaino www.zainobros.com. I use Zaino Z2 and Z5 for sealants, and several of their other products for car wash, QD, clay, tires, and leather. For compounds and polishes, look for 3M and Menzerna IP and FPII at the above.

These sites also sell MF towels. Get good ones for the paint. If there is a Costco locally, you can get 16 MF towels for about $11 which are good for wheels, door jambs, etc.

Good luck.

Regards,

Dan.