PDA

View Full Version : Mag/aluminum polish vs chrome polish on chrome

Pages : [1] 2

White95Max
09-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Does chrome polish actually do a better job on chrome than mag/aluminum polish does? I`ve always thought Mothers mag/alum polish does a great job on metal, whether chrome or not. I`m debating whether I should get some chrome polish too, or if my mag polish will do the same job.

carcrazy22
09-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Try VM on chrome if its in your arsenal. Check out this pic (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9211&papass=&sort=1) ( I detailed wheel with VM ).

Otherwise I liked looks of Mother`s Chrome Polish better than Mother`s Mag/Alum - on chrome.

HotRodGuy
09-28-2004, 08:05 PM
if I`m not mistaken the vette wheels have a clear coat on them

White95Max
09-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Is it not safe on clear coats?

I`ve used the mag/alum polish twice on my wheels before waxing, and my wheels are clearcoated. I haven`t noticed any difference after using it. They shine very nicely and always have.

HotRodGuy
09-28-2004, 08:22 PM
I`m not 100% sure, but I wouldn`t think so

White95Max
09-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Well I just read the jar label for the mag/ alum, and it doesn`t mention anything about clearcoats, it just says "safe for all metals", which may or may not include clear coats.

carcrazy22
09-28-2004, 08:33 PM
if you read directions of Mother`s Mag/Alum - "Rub polish onto metal surface until black residue appears".

I did testing on clear coated wheel in past and black residue didnt appear.

For clear coated wheels, u treat them like your clear coated paint on car.

I like VM or PwC topped with Meg Next Gen Wax.

White95Max
09-28-2004, 08:39 PM
Hmm. I guess I`ll just use my GEPC on clear coated wheels from now on.

imported_Totoland Mach
09-28-2004, 08:44 PM
I would never recommend a metal polish for use on a clear coated item. The abrasives will definitely scratch the clear over time. If you are using Mother`s Billet Cream or Wenol Blue, the amount of abrasive is small. These polishes are for non-coated metals and are made to take the oxidization off the top layer (hence the black on the polish rag).

I`d use a good sealant (Wolfgang, etc) or NXT on a clear coated wheel. The slicker the surface, the less brake dust that will accumulate.

Here`s a pic of polished wheels which are non coated (and a lot of routine maintenance).

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/13244nxt_techpolish_insideplusoutside-med.jpg

forrest@mothers
09-28-2004, 08:46 PM
I`d suggest you use a polish appropriate to the finish.

Chrome is a hard plating, versus aluminum, which is a soft alloy. A polish that works well on one, will not generally work well on the other since the finishes are so dissimilar.

The media within the 2 polishes are dramatically different.

Using either polish on a coated wheel is not suggested. While it may not harm the finish initially, repeated use can damage/compromise the coating. It`s why we make Clear Coat Wheel Polish, and some use a paint protection product instead.

MongooseGA
03-31-2005, 12:43 PM
Thread from the dead, I know, but I wanted to add to this.

I was talking with Paul (White95Max) in the chat last night about the wheels on my car. I wasn`t sure if they were cleared chrome, or bare chrome.

This morning I determined they were cleared as there was no black residue with Mother`s Mag/Aluminim polish.

Last night I ordered the Wenol kit from AutoGeek which includes the Red and Blue. Will the Blue be safe on my cleared chrome wheels?

If not, what`s reccomended? I guess I`ll have a nice way to polish my valve cover now.

White95Max
03-31-2005, 12:49 PM
I told you GA...drive to Wisconsin, and you can use my Mothers Chrome Polish or 1Z Chromepflege.

Wow this thread really is old.

Eliot Ness
03-31-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by MongooseGA

.......I wasn`t sure if they were cleared chrome, or bare chrome.

This morning I determined they were cleared as there was no black residue with Mother`s Mag/Aluminim polish.......

Are you talking about aluminum or chrome here? The black residue you`re talking about will show up on uncoated aluminum, not chrome.

If they are clear coated aluminum use what you do on your paint (clean, polish, seal), if chrome use a chrome polish and/or a sealer on them.

MongooseGA
03-31-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Eliot Ness

Are you talking about aluminum or chrome here? The black residue you`re talking about will show up on uncoated aluminum, not chrome.

If they are clear coated aluminum use what you do on your paint (clean, polish, seal), if chrome use a chrome polish and/or a sealer on them.

Can they not be clear coated chrome?

I know they`re not polished aluminum because you can tell the whole thing was dipped. Compared to my Mom`s Sebring where only the front surface of the wheel is polished and the outer lip by the tire is not.

forrest@mothers
03-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Mongoose - chrome wheels will not make Mag & Aluminum Polish turn black. Chrome will.

If you have chrome plated wheels, you need a chrome polish, not a metal polish, regardless the brand.

I`m unaware of any cleared chrome wheels, except for possibly 1 year of a Lincoln Town Car, and I`m not even certain on that. Your product did not turn black when you were using it because you were using aluminum polish on a chrome surface.

You need a chrome polish.