PDA

View Full Version : Mag/aluminum polish vs chrome polish on chrome

Pages : 1 [2]

MongooseGA
03-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Damn.

Paul, just bring the 1Z down with you when you hand deliver that #16 to me.

Uphill.

Bothways.

In the snow.

;)

crc32
03-31-2005, 04:49 PM
I have had excellent success with Mothers Billet Polish on the aluminum parts on my motorcycle. I suspect that this polish has fine abrasives that must diminish because it gives a higher shine than the standard Mothers Alum Polish.

I also think of a true metal polish as one that wears away and levels the surface, in a similar manner as a compound on paint.

I do have a question that has bugged me for years:

Does Mothers Chrome Polish have abrasives? I think very highly of this product. Turtle Wax Chrome Polish is a close second. Makes the chrome on my bike look like sterling.

Or, am I just wasting my time with chrome polishes and just use NXT?

Thanks,

Boz

imported_Sullybob
03-31-2005, 06:39 PM
So, most chrome wheels don`t have a clear coat? Will chrome polish leave a black residue on a rag when used on a chrome wheel?

imported_Totoland Mach
03-31-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Sullybob

So, most chrome wheels don`t have a clear coat? Will chrome polish leave a black residue on a rag when used on a chrome wheel?

Chrome wheels are not clear coated. Think of Chrome plating as a clear coat for the underlying Nickel plating. Chrome provides protection from the elements against the nickel.

If you are getting black residue on a rag...it`s more than likely the result of brake dust accumulation on the surface.

Hope that helps.

See Ya From Totoland

imported_Sullybob
04-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks, I don`t know where I got the idea that most/some chrome was clear coated.:nixweiss