PDA

View Full Version : Bought new car - black. What to buy, etc

Pages : [1] 2

Young_Stallion
12-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Just put money down on my 2003 Cobra 10th Anniversary - Black Coupe.

I have a few weeks to put together an aersonal to keep this ultra black paint looking mint all the time. It is only driven in nice weather.

I was planning Klasse and Cleak Kote or P21s or something like that.

The car has been sitting out in the snow and paint is pretty rough. I told them not to touch the paint but what will I need to do to it to make it mint the day I get it and keep it looking perfect?

Should I invest in the 3M invincia shield? Can you wax over it, etc? How does it look on black?

grt1today
12-25-2003, 06:49 PM
Congrats, on a beautiful new car. I would clay it, klasse twins, and souveran on top...:)

C-MDX
12-25-2003, 07:29 PM
Young_Stallion, when can I see your web site :D???

Young_Stallion
12-25-2003, 08:12 PM
Working on it...

Just got a new job at Steed.ca but everything should be ready come spring time.

I cant discuss in these forums though

Glossequation
12-26-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Young_Stallion

Just put money down on my 2003 Cobra 10th Anniversary - Black Coupe.

I have a few weeks to put together an aersonal to keep this ultra black paint looking mint all the time. It is only driven in nice weather.

I was planning Klasse and Cleak Kote or P21s or something like that.

The car has been sitting out in the snow and paint is pretty rough. I told them not to touch the paint but what will I need to do to it to make it mint the day I get it and keep it looking perfect?

Should I invest in the 3M invincia shield? Can you wax over it, etc? How does it look on black?

Congrats on the new `03...I wish you much luck with it. My car gets #7 followed by #26 and I love this combo on black.

I test drove an `03 this past summer and the paint was also horrible. Not washed, the idiot dealer was closing the hood with the palms of his hands and he put his coffee on the trunk?? WTF!!

blackmagicgti
12-26-2003, 11:19 AM
Make sure you have lots of patience and understanding first. Black looks awesome for about 15 minutes after you`re done detailing and then it starts to pick up swirls from anything. ;)

I like using Klasse on my car and I currently have #26 on. I don`t like #26 too much but its durability is awesome and I love the mirror look of Klasse.

Enjoy your car.

andriver
12-26-2003, 11:42 AM
On my wife`s Black Mustang I use Blackfire products. BF really stands out on black. For the winter months I am using 1Z products but come spring I will probably switch back to BF.

imported_mirrorfinishman
12-26-2003, 07:38 PM
Congratulations on that new Cobra!

I would suggest only using products similar to those used by professionals; such as those offered by Meguiars.

I would not recommend enthusiast type products. And I would certainly not use clay on your brand new `black` Cobra. That could turn out to be a recipe for disaster.

When you`re working with `black` it`s very important to use special care when polishing and waxing. Here are a few suggestions on how to apply polish and wax to your new `black` Cobra:

APPLICATOR AND POLISHING CLOTHS

The most important thing to remember when polishing and waxing is `all cloths must be clean and remain clean at all times`. Sounds simple enough, but worth remembering.

APPLICATION OF POLISH AND WAX

Dampen the applicator cloth, and put a small amount of the liquid product directly on the applicator cloth. Never put polish or wax directly on the surface of your Cobra. Use a gentle circular polishing motion. Always apply an even pressure when polishing and waxing; especially with `black`. The applicator cloth should have just enough dampness to allow the cloth to glide smoothly. You’ll need to add polish or wax to the cloth, as necessary, to insure even coverage.

Remember, do only one section at a time, until you see how easily the polish or wax comes off. Then proceed accordingly.

REMOVAL OF POLISH AND WAX

Use two clean towels to remove the polish or wax. Place one towel in the palm of each hand. Proceed to apply the towels to the dried polish or wax. Begin removing the polish or wax with a gentle circular motion. Do not apply too much pressure in any one area; especially when working with `black`. It`s best to change towel surfaces by flipping from one side to the other. If the polish or wax comes off relatively easy; then you can do a larger section.

However, if the polish or wax is hard to remove: then you’ll want to stay with

doing small sections.

AVOIDING SURFACE DAMAGE

I would suggest never using a buffer; especially on your `black` Cobra. Buffing can easily damage the clear coat finish and often leave harsh swirl marks; especially on `black. An inexperienced operator could easily cause further damage such as;

burning the paint, caused by too fast a buffing speed scratching the paint, caused by dirt or other contaminants

wearing away the paint; caused by buffing edges and curves too aggressively.

In summary,

It`s best to polish and wax your new car by hand. And always remember to keep all cloths clean at all times.

Just some helpful thoughts...

FRANK CANNA

Old Post 12-23-2003 07:06 AM

acl99
12-26-2003, 07:51 PM
If your talking a few weeks like around feb, i would pickup some nxt tech wax as your protectant :)

Spilchy
12-26-2003, 09:14 PM
You should, without a doubt, clay a brand new vehicle. I just worked on my folks brand new BMW and it needed clay because I felt little specks and roughness in the paint. After clay, it was smooth as glass

Also, without a doubt, you can use a PC on a brand new vehicle. Just use a little common sense and be mindful of the abrasiveness of your pad / product combination. I used a PC on my folks new BMW because there were dealer induced holagram effects on part of the roof and front driver door. I used Menzerna Intensive Polish with a new polishing pad, followed by Meguiars Hand Polish by hand, followed with Blitz by hand.

If you`re nervous about scratches or swirls, be sure to use new clay, applicators, pads and MF`s.

Young_Stallion
12-27-2003, 05:15 PM
Thanks guys. I was planning on using Klasse or NXT with a topper of a high grade carnuba.

imported_Greg
12-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

Congratulations on that new Cobra!

I would suggest only using products similar to those used by professionals; such as those offered by Meguiars.

I would not recommend enthusiast type products. And I would certainly not use clay on your brand new `black` Cobra. That could turn out to be a recipe for disaster.

I would suggest never using a buffer; especially on your `black` Cobra. Buffing can easily damage the clear coat finish and often leave harsh swirl marks; especially on `black. In summary,

It`s best to polish and wax your new car by hand.

Why no clay? Why only professional products? Why no buffer?

imported_memnuts
12-27-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Greg

Why no clay? Why only professional products? Why no buffer?

I was wondering the same thing :nixweiss

I have 3 black cars and use these items with great success.

If he is not going to drive in bad weather the maintenance of a black finish is a snap using the correct products and tools ( including clay and PC), proper washing technique and a lot of patience. :wavey

imported_Greg
12-27-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

If he is not going to drive in bad weather the maintenance of a black finish is a snap using the correct products and tools ( including clay and PC), proper washing technique and a lot of patience. :wavey

Totally agree 100%, Edwin. It`s kind of disheartening for me to see someone shying away from perfectly safe tools and techniques that can truly make a car look its best just because someone said they are bad. Anyone who says an enthusiast product such as Souveran, S100, Klasse, Zaino, etc aren`t as good as professional products need a reality check because professionals use these all the time with fantastic results.

Young_Stallion
12-28-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

blkz28 what are you recomending as proper washing technique, products and tools?

I want the reflective and deep wet look so that is why I wanted Klasse/Zaino and then top with a Carnuba.

I love detailing my car so time and patience is not a problem. Finding right methods and tools for black as well as some washing, drying...maintenance tips for black is what i need.