PDA

View Full Version : All black cars have swirls under the sun???

Pages : [1] 2

PETERC4CAB
07-16-2003, 04:13 PM
I did my new car last weekend with zymol.

dawn wash

clay.

zymol wash

z2

z5

z5 again.

and I still saw minor swirl marks under the sun.

I wrote zymol asking them what to do to get a mirror finish under the sun, and he said that minor spider web marks will always be there under the sun at certain angles.

Is that true???

thanks for a reply.

Peter

PETERC4CAB
07-16-2003, 04:15 PM
oops. I mean zynol.

imported_Smoker
07-16-2003, 04:17 PM
Basically because neither the wash nor Zaino do anything to remove the swirls.

To get rid of those you have to use an abrasive product such as Megiuars DACP.

Derektri
07-16-2003, 09:11 PM
I had the same problem this weekend. I finally bought a PC and I used DACP then #9 then AIO on a green Civic. I couldn`t see any swirl marks in the garage with 3 halogen lights, but as soon as I brought the car outside they were back. I think the garage is very well lit, should I be doing this work outside?

imported_zenhog
07-16-2003, 10:22 PM
No, not all black cars have swirl marks... I had a camaro that got caught in a sandstorm and the insurance company paid for my paint job at a very high $ autobody shop. They used Glasurit and wet sanded it until the finish looked like glass. No clearcoat. I took good car of that finish and never had a swirl mark in it for the 5 years I owned it after that paint job. I miss that car.. maybe I`ll head to Palm Springs and look for another sand storm.. lol...

nate010753
07-17-2003, 07:58 PM
I have had pretty good luck with the Menzerna intensive polish in removing swirls with a PC. If you are a bit concerned about compounding then I will suggest 3M smr for dark colored cars. It won;t remove them but it will fill them and the direct sunlight ight won`t catch them. Top it with a coat of wax and keep it up it should last for a while. The thing is with black in the summer the paint gets sooooo hot that the carnuba based waxes tend to break down quickly. Here is where I would stear you in the direction of a sealant or synthetic product.

Hope this helps!

KCPreki11
07-17-2003, 10:24 PM
Don`t polish outside. The sun is a killer for MAJORITY of polishes and waxes. Always polish and wax a cool surface.

PETERC4CAB
07-18-2003, 07:33 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys.

Now I just gotta go get those products and wait for them to arrive.

Peter Liao

Deanski
07-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Here`s a post from "one of the guys" on the abrasive levels top to bottom.

COMPOUNDS, POLISHES AND GLAZES SORTED BY CUTTING ABILITY

10 – MOST AGGRESSIVE - COMPOUNDS

3M SUPER DUTY RUBBING COMPOND HEAVY CUT 39004

MEGUIAR’S BODY SHOP PROFESSIONAL DIAMOND CUT COMPOUND 2.0 VERY HEAVY CUT #85

MEGUIAR’S BODY SHOP PROFESSIONAL COMPUND POWER CLEANER HEAVY CUT #84

3M PERFECT-IT III EXTRA CUT RUBBING COMPOUND 05936

MEGUAIR’S MIRROR GLAZE HEAVY CUT CLEANER #4

3M IMPERIAL MICRO FINISHING COMPOUND MEDIUM CUT 39001

MEGUIAR’S MIRROR GLAZE MEDIUM-CUT CLEANER #1

3M PERFECT-IT III RUBBING COMPOUND 05933

MEGUIAR’S BODY SHOP PROFESSIONAL DUAL ACTION CLEANER POLISH MEDIUM CUT #83

3M PERFECT-IT II RUBBING COMPOUND FINE CUT 39002

MEGUIAR’S MIRROR GLAZE FINE-CUT CLEANER #2

3M ONE STEP CLEANER WAX, MEDIUM OXIDATION REMOVER 39066

MENZERNA INTENSIVE POLISH

3M PERFECT-IT SWIRL MARK REMOVER DARK CARS 39009

3M PERFECT-IT SWIRL MARK REMOVER LIGHT CARS 39109

MEGUIAR’S MEDALLION PAINT CLEANER #97

MEGUIAR’S SCRATCH-X #108

4 - POLISHES

MEGUIAR’S BODY SCRUB A10

MEGUIAR’S DEEP CRYSTAL PAINT CLEANER #30

MEGUIER’S QUICK DETAILER #66

MEGUIER’S SPEED GLAZE #80

BLACK FIRE DEEP GLOSS POLISH

MEGUIAR’S BODY SHOP PROFESSIONAL SWIRL FREE POLISH LIGHT CUT #82

MEGUIAR’S MIRROR GLAZE SWIRL REMOVER #9

3M FINESSE-IT II MACHINE POLISH 39003

3M FINESSE-IT II FINISHING MATERIAL 05928

MENZERNA FINAL POLISH

2 - GLAZES

MEGUIAR’S BODY SHOP PROFESSIONAL HAND POLISH VERY LIGHT CUT #81

MEGUIAR’S MIRROR GLAZE MACHINE GLAZE #3

3M PERFECT-IT III TRIZACT MACHINE GLAZE 05930

3M PERFECT-IT III MACHINE GLAZE 05937

3M IMPERIAL MACHINE GLAZE 05991

3M ONE STEP CLEANER WAX, LIGHT OXIDATION REMOVER 39006

MEGUIAR’S MIRROR GLAZE SHOW CAR GLAZE #7

3M PERFECT-IT III FINISHING GLAZE 05941

3M IMPERIAL HAND GLAZE 39007

BLACKFIRE ALL FINISH PAINT PROTECTION

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Deanski

Jestyr
08-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Where does GEPC fall on that list?

GoodnClean
08-18-2003, 06:29 PM
Probably 1.

ScooterMan
12-18-2003, 10:30 AM
One thing no one has mentioned is that the "wax" you put on the car can have the fine swirl marks in it. So, rather that seeing the clearcoat or the paint swirl, you are actually seeing the wax. This only shows up on dark colors like black. I have a lacqured `62 black vette that never gets waxed...only polished and doesn`t show any swirl marks since I removed the wax many years ago.

Accumulator
12-18-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Jestyr

Where does GEPC fall on that list?

*I* would say "2" as it DOES contain (very mild) abrasives. *I* would limit "1" to products that are basically nonabrasive, but that IS sorta splitting hairs.

Also, while Deanski`s list looks like perhaps the best summary so far, *I* would move 3M PI-III MG (005937) to "3" as IMO it`s at LEAST as abrasive as Meg`s #9 (and probably much more so than others at that level).

Also, *I* would move Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze Machine Glaze #3 to category "1" as it is supposed to be NONabrasive, merely a "wetter" version of #7 that won`t dry out as fast when worked by rotary.

Don`t mean to nit-pick, just trying to refine the list a little based on my experiences. I`d like to somehow get this list in "proper" order, with most of the usual products on it.

derektri- I wouldn`t WORK outside, but sometimes it pays to pull the vehicle out and look at it. Some things (like rotary-holograms) only show up under bright natural sunlight. For general swirl spotting, *I* like to turn out all the garage lights except for ONE incandescent light. I then look at that one light`s reflection in the paint- I see swirls MUCH better that way. Halogens are sometimes SO bright that I don`t see minor swirls under them due to all the reflections, and I hardly see ANYTHING under flourescents.

SuperBuick
12-18-2003, 12:16 PM
PeterC4Cab - I think, by the products you are describing, that you mean ZAINO.

Z2, Zaino wash, Z5, are all zaino products.

Blackregal - it is important to note this because anytime I have spoken with the Zymol factory detailers they are more than helpful and in fact back in the day it was one of the zymol detailers who told me that you COULD completely remove spiderwebbing from a black car.

MAke sure you get your Z`s straight!!!

:)

-Tom

PETERC4CAB
12-18-2003, 12:42 PM
Superbuick: If you look at every post, I`ve already corrected that mistake.

Peter