PDA

View Full Version : All black cars have swirls under the sun???

Pages : 1 [2]

BillNorth
12-18-2003, 12:44 PM
Deanski,

I appreciate the list you posted. But I have to disagree with 3M Finesse It II being less abrasive the 3M Swirl Mark Remover. Unless I am totally missing something here.

Bill.

SuperBuick
12-18-2003, 01:22 PM
Superbuick: If you look at every post, I`ve already corrected that mistake.

Peter

Ok, I read Zymol and "zynol" in your posts......which is it, zaino or Zymol - because that makes a big difference in the results you`ll get (one is a carnauba, all-natural type company, the other a full synthetic high-tech type company)

Not being critical - but is like comparing Deisel to gasoline!!!

-Tom

imported_Intermezzo
12-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by BillNorth

I appreciate the list you posted. But I have to disagree with 3M Finesse It II being less abrasive the 3M Swirl Mark Remover.

Me too. I actually disagree with several of the rankings. (I realize this isn`t your ranking though Deanski).

imported_jaobrien6
12-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Bill,

Deanski didn`t put together that list, someone else (a relative newbie) did a while ago. There are definitely things out of order on it (3M SMR is a 5 and 3M PI-III MG is a 2), but no one has ever tried to fix it and post a new, updated list.

Here`s the thread where the list was originally put together:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18913&perpage=18&pagenumber=3

John

JustinR32
12-18-2003, 03:10 PM
Also, abrasiveness and action are different. Some of these are abrasive and break down quickly, some are abrasive and break down slowly, some work better by hand, some work better by PC, and some work only with a rotary. The only way to really find out what does what is experience.

Tom

jmsc
12-18-2003, 03:16 PM
I agree also that most of the list is correct but there are some products that should be moved up or down and some other popular products added.

So what I did for my own use, over a 6 month period, read and studied alot of boards on Autopia, bought and tried diff polishes and personally talked and conversed with 3M/Meguiars/Zymol/P21/Mothers/Menzerna/PRO reps and put together my own list based on the original, which turned out to be a very good starting point for aggressiveness of products.

Again, its only a rating chart but a good one at that.

dgraupman
12-19-2003, 09:53 AM
JMSC,

Would you be willing to post that list, or is it based too much on your own personal style and application methods to be useful as a general reference?

jmsc
12-19-2003, 11:07 AM
dgraupman,

My list is far from complete. For example, its missing the 1Z products, Zaino, Klaase, ClearKote etc...even after spending all last summer experimenting.

The list is subjective based on my own experiences and conversations with the so-called ?experts?. So for that reason primarily (subjectiveness) I would prefer not to post.

On the other hand, if you start with the Meguiar`s published catalogue that lists the heavy/light cuts of their products or go with the original list as published here and work in your own ratings, you will have a good feel and understanding of what these products are all about.

But I agree with alot of you, an OFFICIAL AUTOPIAN product reference abrasiveness sheet is long overdue. Maybe DavidB can publish one on his new e site.

Just my thoughts.

Ben Z.
12-19-2003, 01:40 PM
Since we`re on this topic, is the average or distribution of the sizes of the abrasives in each product something that is published? I realize that the abrasives break down durring polishing, but the initial size would be of some value, I think. I`m used to polishes being numbered: 9 micron, 6, 3, 1, .3, .05, etc. It`d be a relatively simple test to come up with reasonably accurate data on the sizes of particles in the different products. I have acess to an SEM that I can use for $40/hr. Is there any interest in this? There will be a problem with all the other crap in the products getting in the way, but all I`d need would be for a dozen or so abrasive particles to be at the surface, I`d probably sputter coat the samples after they were allowed to dry.

NXT4now
12-19-2003, 01:55 PM
^^^actually there was an interest in scanning electron microscope on whether wax layers....

BillNorth
12-19-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by jaobrien6

Bill,

Deanski didn`t put together that list, someone else (a relative newbie) did a while ago. There are definitely things out of order on it (3M SMR is a 5 and 3M PI-III MG is a 2), but no one has ever tried to fix it and post a new, updated list.

Here`s the thread where the list was originally put together:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18913&perpage=18&pagenumber=3

John

John,

Thanks for the link and the info.

Bill.

imported_mirrorfinishman
12-19-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by ScooterMan

One thing no one has mentioned is that the "wax" you put on the car can have the fine swirl marks in it. So, rather that seeing the clearcoat or the paint swirl, you are actually seeing the wax. This only shows up on dark colors like black. I have a lacqured `62 black vette that never gets waxed...only polished and doesn`t show any swirl marks since I removed the wax many years ago.

Contrary to what most would like to believe; it`s most likely the "wax" that has the fine swirl marks in it.