PDA

View Full Version : Stripping Klasse

Pages : [1] 2

getfit74
07-07-2002, 08:05 AM
I have searched and found a few threads that wandered all over so I would like to try and ask again.

What have you done to successfully strip your AIO and SG treatments off your paint? I have a AIO 2x and SGx5 finish that I have been topping with Blitz for about two months. I would now like to start over from scratch with another system. I am under the impression Dawn will remove some and a follow up with 50/50 isopropal alcohol (I will apply via spray bottle and wipe down) will remove the rest, then follow up with a nice wash.

Swirls and paint defects are not a problem, I am only interested in hearing your successful Klasse stripping methods.

imported_Blake
07-07-2002, 08:52 AM
I`m sure your methods were those recommended previously. The only other suggestion might be to add a good paint cleaner to the steps.

Beach15
07-07-2002, 10:07 AM
Hey, I`m getting ready to strip Klasse off our black Avalanche Z66 within the next month or so too! I might have more of an issue, as I`ve accumulated the following:

Klasse AIO x 3

Klasse SG x3

Platinum UPP x 6

Yes, that`s, 12 coats, and what will I be switching too? Zaino, of course! It seems as though several people here don`t like Zaino`s reflectiveness on black, but after seeing several pictures, that`s what I want. The Klasse & Platinum is a good look, very deep and clean, and water just bubbles off of everything.

I plan on doing a Dawn wash and claying with Mother`s clay. From there, I`m not sure. Should I Dawn wash again and then do a Z-7 wash, or is this stupid and should I just cut the 2nd Dawn out and just do a Zaino wash.

nerdhunters
07-07-2002, 12:11 PM
I don`t believe that Dawn will remove SG, your going to have to use a one of the pre-wax paint cleaning products like Pinnacle PCL.

peiqinglong
07-07-2002, 07:21 PM
Klasse is pretty hard to strip...well depends on how many coats...i myself have been dawning and dawning and it still is on my car!

tom p.
07-07-2002, 08:23 PM
well, removing many layers of Klasse could be challenging. I don`t know if DAWN is going to do the job.

Clay will remove it but I don`t know if you are at the point where you need to do that. Other sorts of polish will remove the Klasse. Griot`s Garage sells a "wax remover" that is probably alcohol based.

I would try a wash with fairly warm/hot water + your DAWN and see where you stand after that.

You could also try P21S Total Auto wash at 50% strength. That may do the job if nothing else works.

Good luck.

shaf
07-07-2002, 11:14 PM
From what I`ve read I`m pretty sure Dawn will not strip Klasse, and people Dawn wash to strip toppers off.

Things I`ve heard that will work are: SMR, 50/50 alcohol, paint cleansing product like PPCL or similar, and AIO. I`m kind of iffy if SMR and AIO would totally remove all the SG some people have layered on though, and if I were doing it I`d use the paint cleaner or 50/50.

getfit74
07-08-2002, 09:17 AM
Well I decided to call Zaino brothers and ask them what they thought about the need to (and how to) completely strip Klasse from the vehicle prior to application of Zaino, since that is what I have decided to try. Sal said that a dawn wash will indeed take enough of the Klasse off to allow his products to work as they should. He said even if there is some left he is not concerned about adverse affects from it. Hmm.... go figure.

paco
07-08-2002, 09:36 AM
Should be to difficult to find. Reading the side of the bottles states that it removes waxes, sealants, tar etc.

Paco

Beach15
07-08-2002, 10:01 AM
Just a thought. Zaino is a polymer. Klasse is an Acrylic/Polymer. Platinum is a Polymer. I`ve had terrific results applying several coats (6) of Platinum right over Klasse AIO and SG without a problem.

Now Zaino. Since it`s just like putting a crystal clear, 100% optical clarity, sealant on your vehicle, it requires that the underlying surface be in as close to perfect shape as possible. Now, the question. It has always said to to a Dawn wash to strip off old wax and contaminants, followed by claying before Z`ing. So, if I have a finish right now using only Klasse & Platinum polymers that`s 98% flawless and perfect, why won`t a thorough Z-7 wash and use of Z-6 be enough before Zaino?

Not that I`d do this, just wondering why it wouldn`t be possible. People often do things like use 3M SMR before Zaino.

Stupid question?:nixweiss

shaf
07-08-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Beach15

Stupid question?:nixweiss No, I think it`s a good question IMO. I wonder if Sal means it would work with the Z1 pre-cleaner first (which might remove remaining Klasse, right?) or just ZFX, meaning Z can go over K.

imported_edschwab1
07-09-2002, 12:09 AM
Do a search for a member by the name of wolfsburg. I am not sure if he is on the board or not anymore. He was using the "A"&"C" parts of the ABC system to remove Klasse.

Eric

imported_Intel486
07-09-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by tom p.

Clay will remove it but I don`t know if you are at the point where you need to do that. Other sorts of polish will remove the Klasse.

Clay won`t remove Klasse. Klasse bonds like Z. People clay right over Z to get the rough spots and it doesn`t remove it. It won`t remove Klasse.

Dawn also won`t remove Klasse. I`ve tested it at it doesn`t. I`ve even tried applying it and scrubbing it full strength and it doesn`t remove it.

I have found Pinnacle Paint Cleansing lotion will take off 3 layers of Klasse with a few applications. I think the best way to remove it is to use a polish.

shaf
07-09-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Intel486

Dawn also won`t remove Klasse. I`ve tested it at it doesn`t. I`ve even tried applying it and scrubbing it full strength and it doesn`t remove it.I second that - I just tried it using a pretty strong solution and it didn`t budge it. Related to my upcoming thread...

OriginalDeuce
07-09-2002, 05:46 AM
I was thinking about this problem too. Since Klasse is a(n) acrylic/polymer based material... do you guys think going to an art store to find acrylic and/or polymer paint remover would be a possible solution?

If this were to work, I wonder what effect it would have on the car`s clear coat. :nixweiss