PDA

View Full Version : Who cooks? And what`s your specialty?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

rockymountaindetail
12-05-2009, 02:13 PM
I do all the cooking in my house. On my wife`s cooking night she picks up take-out. I always remind here how lucky she is to have found me!

Specialties include BBQ Pork Fried Rice, All types of wild game dishes from Grouse to Moose, Cold Sesame Noodles, any type of BBQ meats, Fajitas, Herb`s Special Chicken.

I consider myself a "seat of the pants" cook. I have always been good at opening the fridge and cupboards and creating something from what is on hand. Not one for really measuring either, so baking is not my thing.

imported_Tuscarora Dave
12-05-2009, 04:08 PM
I like to cook, here is one of my specialties..
I call it "Beef of Brussels"

2 maybe 3 delmonico or sirloin steaks sliced down the center(butterflied)

I like to take a meat tenderizing hammer and Tap (not beat) them flat making them as large in circumfrence as possible without making them too thin

next, I will take a pound of large fresh brussel sprouts and chop them up very finely and layer them on top of the butterflied steaks.

then I will shake on a thin but uniform layer of Kraft or fresh shaker cheese (the kind for spaggetti)

next step is to dust very lightly with Sazon` GOYA (a spice or flavor enhancer found in the international foods isle at the supermarket, it comes in a box of single use orange packets)

Grind some fresh cracked peppercorns over top and roll the steaks into log shapes and stick 3 toothpicks through them.

Lastly I enfuse some extra virgin olive oil with fresh (not jarred) pressed and finely chopped garlic by placing the mixture of garlic and EVOO in a microwave safe glass bowl and nukeing for 1-2 min and then let it cool, once it is cooled I brush it over top of the meat rolls and let refridgerate for a few hours turning and re-brushing them with the enfused oil.

Then simply place the cookie sheet with the marinated rolls into the oven on 300 degrees for about 45 min. to one hour depending on how thick they are.

I have served this dish to people who hate brussel sprouts and they simply rave about it.

I normally serve this with a special recipe snow peas and garlic roasted red potatoes.

Man now I am hungry and considering taking a trip to the supermarket.

imported_Flash Gordon
12-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Flash,
Cool... the Pillsbury c/rolls are a Saturday morning ritual with me and my son. I will try your method, as getting them right, without burnt bottoms, can be tricky. :thumbup:

jk

Saturday morning ritual here to...Thats weird :w00t:

Try it, this is my 1 thing that I`m allowed to cook

I cook nothing around here, if I even try to help, my wife turns me around or sends me on a wild goose chase. Anywhere but in her kitchen :Innocent:

I like to cook, here is one of my specialties..
I call it "Beef of Brussels"

2 maybe 3 delmonico or sirloin steaks sliced down the center(butterflied)

I like to take a meat tenderizing hammer and Tap (not beat) them flat making them as large in circumfrence as possible without making them too thin

next, I will take a pound of large fresh brussel sprouts and chop them up very finely and layer them on top of the butterflied steaks.

then I will shake on a thin but uniform layer of Kraft or fresh shaker cheese (the kind for spaggetti)

next step is to dust very lightly with Sazon` GOYA (a spice or flavor enhancer found in the international foods isle at the supermarket, it comes in a box of single use orange packets)

Grind some fresh cracked peppercorns over top and roll the steaks into log shapes and stick 3 toothpicks through them.

Lastly I enfuse some extra virgin olive oil with fresh (not jarred) pressed and finely chopped garlic by placing the mixture of garlic and EVOO in a microwave safe glass bowl and nukeing for 1-2 min and then let it cool, once it is cooled I brush it over top of the meat rolls and let refridgerate for a few hours turning and re-brushing them with the enfused oil.

Then simply place the cookie sheet with the marinated rolls into the oven on 300 degrees for about 45 min. to one hour depending on how thick they are.

I have served this dish to people who hate brussel sprouts and they simply rave about it.

I normally serve this with a special recipe snow peas and garlic roasted red potatoes.

Man now I am hungry and considering taking a trip to the supermarket.

Can someone show me how to print this recipei(or help me spell it :cornut: ) so my wife can wipp this up 4 me..Sounds Yummy :drool5:

imported_Luster
12-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Can someone show me how to print this recipei(or help me spell it :cornut: ) so my wife can wipp this up 4 me..Sounds Yummy :drool5:

With your mouse, click at the beginning of the recipe and "drag" the mouse down and to the right until all the words are highlighted. Right click and click on "copy".

Then open a program on your computer called "Word Pad".

In Word Pad, click on "Edit" and "Paste".

The recipe should be copied to Word Pad.

Then click on Print (make sure your printer is on).

Make sense?

bmw5541
12-06-2009, 10:04 AM
I do all the cooking in my house. In a past life, I was a reestaurant manager, and I went to school for Hotel and Restaurant Management, so I had to learn how to cook. I also always loved to cook when I was younger and living with my parents (Mom wasn`t a great cook.....shhhhh, don`t tell her I said that).\

My thanksgiving spread is legendary. Especially my stuffing and gravey. Other specialties include, pulled pork, chili, lasagna, veal marsala, ect.

My wife says that she used to cook, but hasn`t done anything except a frozen pizza, since we got married 13 years ago. How lucky is she?:thumbup:

imported_Luster
12-06-2009, 01:13 PM
My wife says that she used to cook, but hasn`t done anything except a frozen pizza, since we got married 13 years ago. How lucky is she?:thumbup:

Lucky Indeed! Any you get the "Joy of Cooking"!:thumbup:

MB Fan
12-06-2009, 01:24 PM
The one ethnic quisine that I love to prepare is Chinese - big 7 course meals of Peking egg drop soup, various dim sum, and szechuan chicken.

If it is meat I love to cook it. I brine turkeys and chicken and BBQ, along with the usual steaks and frsh fish.

My other thing is baking - love to do pastries, cakes, pies, etc....

thecarter13
12-06-2009, 05:26 PM
ah speaking of the devil, I just applied myself to culinary school for this upcoming summer semester. I figure if I like it a lot, and I already do, then I am going to put an application to go to either Le Cordon Blue or Johnson and Wales down in the Miami area.

However, I will cook and bake just about anything. As far as cooking goes I do a lot of grilling and smoking specifically with steaks, but also do a lot of pasta and soups too. Baking I will do a lot of stuff also but make a mean key lime, coconut cream, and lemon meringue pie.

imported_broker99
12-06-2009, 09:35 PM
my wife does must of the cooking because she loves to do it but I do all the grilling.

imported_Flash Gordon
12-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Cool! The "Recipe Thread"!!!:biggrin:

Doesn`t every good Forum have one ^^^ :out:

Man, after reading how talented everyone is in the kitchen its got me a bit depressed :( I really need to push away from this keyboard :redface:

I can`t beleive that for someone who likes to eat like I do, but yet, have NO desire to learn the trade :yawn:

imported_POPPAJ
12-07-2009, 08:08 AM
My baby back ribs and pulled pork are some of my best efforts. My favorite is Old fashion pot roast cooked with carrots and onion, super gravy over potatoes whipped with egg, cream and butter! My Mac and Cheese is pretty good too.

TOGWT
12-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Lucky Indeed! Any you get the "Joy of Cooking"!:thumbup:

The Joy of Cooking Irma S. Rombauer (every cook should have a copy)

An English cook who writes great recipes for cooks and beginners alike; Jamie Oliver

imported_Luster
12-07-2009, 08:51 AM
The Joy of Cooking Irma S. Rombauer (every cook should have a copy)

Got it! Great book!:wink:

imported_wagonproject
12-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Well I am the head cook at small local restaurant (150 seats). Mostly serve breakfast all day, but also a lot of sandwiches/meats/soups. Hope to one day own my own restaurant, just need to finish college up.

imported_Luster
12-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Well I am the head cook at small local restaurant (150 seats). Mostly serve breakfast all day, but also a lot of sandwiches/meats/soups. Hope to one day own my own restaurant, just need to finish college up.

:thumbup:...:thumbup:...:thumbup:...:thumbup: