PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running a business out of their home?

Pages : [1] 2

SpoolinNoMore
02-27-2012, 04:10 PM
I don`t quite want to start a mobile setup yet due to the fact that I`m going to move next year and purchasing another vehicle/equipment would just be more stuff I`d need to move, but I would like to supplement my income by running a shop out of my garage. I was wondering if anybody on here started out or is currently running a shop out of their home garage for some supplemental income. My biggest concern would be maintaining an image of professionalism however someone dropping their vehicle off at a home residence seems too amateur for the services I`d like to offer. Any tips from anyone that has worked out of their home garage would be greatly appreciated. It is either this or putting all of my equipment in my SUV to do mobile detailing but demanding I need to use their water and electricity at their residence.

safetyman2010
02-27-2012, 04:30 PM
I don`t quite want to start a mobile setup yet due to the fact that I`m going to move next year and purchasing another vehicle/equipment would just be more stuff I`d need to move, but I would like to supplement my income by running a shop out of my garage. I was wondering if anybody on here started out or is currently running a shop out of their home garage for some supplemental income. My biggest concern would be maintaining an image of professionalism however someone dropping their vehicle off at a home residence seems too amateur for the services I`d like to offer. Any tips from anyone that has worked out of their home garage would be greatly appreciated. It is either this or putting all of my equipment in my SUV to do mobile detailing but demanding I need to use their water and electricity at their residence.

Better check your local bylaws. It`s completely ILLEGAL where I live and will garner a nice warning and then fines from the city if continued.

SpoolinNoMore
02-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Woah crazy! I was really just looking to do a car or 2 on the weekends (I do have a full time job, this is mostly to pay back for the massive amounts of money I`ve dumped into this "hobby"). Regardless, I`ll look into local laws, so let`s assume that it`s legal where I live :D. Has anybody started out this way?

C. Charles Hahn
02-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Lots of mobile operators use customer power and water, I don`t see that as necessarily a big deal.

That said, I`ve been working out of my home garage for the past decade and I have never had a customer say anything to me about it being a problem. However, I have purpose-built my garage into a facility that can effectively be used for detailing by installing good lighting and electrical, year-round climate control, and proper equipment to do the work. While I would love to build a larger state-of-the-art shop, what I have now works well for me. The hurdle you`ll probably have right now is not wanting to dump a bunch of money into your current garage if you`re going to be moving in a year anyway.

Are some potential customers going to balk at it? Sure. You probably won`t ever even know about it since those folks won`t be the ones contacting you, but there is still a huge market of people out there who won`t mind. Your best bet at this point will be to work on building up a reputation for quality and ask for referrals. If your focus is high-end that is what the business thrives on anyway, and once the right people with money find out what you do it won`t likely make one bit of difference where you`re at.

SpoolinNoMore
02-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Great to hear Charlie! I figured someone has been doing this. I have the right lighting to work in the garage along with all of my products setup neatly in cabinets/etc. so it looks about as professional as it can (I`m a bit of a neat freak and organizing nerd). Do you run your business as cash-only or do you offer credit card payments through PayPal or a Square CC scanner for smartphone? I`m good with paperwork and documentation for being able to print out invoices, but for now I don`t plan on going all-out with a separate business account or any of that (unless this would be a huge no-no). Like I said, just a car or 2 on the weekends.

C. Charles Hahn
02-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Great to hear Charlie! I figured someone has been doing this. I have the right lighting to work in the garage along with all of my products setup neatly in cabinets/etc. so it looks about as professional as it can (I`m a bit of a neat freak and organizing nerd). Do you run your business as cash-only or do you offer credit card payments through PayPal or a Square CC scanner for smartphone? I`m good with paperwork and documentation for being able to print out invoices, but for now I don`t plan on going all-out with a separate business account or any of that (unless this would be a huge no-no). Like I said, just a car or 2 on the weekends.

I do accept cash/check (again, luckily I`ve never had a problem since I really only deal with reputable people and referral business) and have a Square account set up on my iPhone.

As far as setting up a separate business account/etc. it depends on the laws where you are and how you want to structure your business. I am just a sole proprietor so combining it with my personal accounts and tax reporting is no big deal; if you prefer to set up an LLC or something of that nature though you would definitely want to set up a separate bank account.

I would suggest speaking to a CPA and/or a lawyer about how to structure things to your best advantage and go from there.

Shawn F.
02-27-2012, 06:50 PM
If you will be moving then I would not worry too much. Here`s what I would do:

Get full insurance like a mobile detailer would (garage keepers, liability, etc etc). Then offer to pickup and deliver the customers vehicle when done (make sure your insurance covers this) and that is it. Some cities/towns and neighborhoods prohibit running any kind of business out of your home but if it`s a side deal I see no problem in it as long as your neighbors do not care. Just use good judgement, work at decent hours (no noise late at night) and have good insurance. As for business account, etc I would not worry about it either until you start full time. I would get an assumed name and business license to show your licensed and insured. Doing this will look much more professional and as long as you do good work and your customers are good, noone should care.

Most customers will pay cash or check so credit cards I would not worry about, just make sure you tell them upfront that those are the only two types of payments you are able to accept. Once you move and fully go mobile and are set up then you can worry about business account, credit card/merchant accounts, etc.

Shawn F.
02-27-2012, 06:52 PM
BTW Charlie points something VERY important out. Talk with at LEAST a CPA. They can be expensive for a good one but in the end will save you money and keep you well organized and take a lot of stress off your shoulders.

imported_Quenga
03-31-2012, 02:45 PM
Legality aside, nobody really cares and it`s like the saying, "no cop, no stop". Illegal, but without a cop, you`re not going to get in trouble for it. But don`t run a stop sign just because there isn`t a cop. Be courteous to your neighbors and no one will report you.

I`ve draped 200ft of cord through my old apartment complex to detail in the underground parking garage. Completely annoying, but I made money in the end and never had to buy a generator. Now I work out of my 1 car garage in another apartment complex. You`re not supposed to, but nobody says anything. I even ask neighbors if they want a discounted detail just as an offering to keep me on their good side.

Mobile equipment like water tanks, generators and trucks/vans aren`t necessary either. They are only a convenience. I refuse mobile jobs under $150-200 depending on my mood and jobs under $100 when dropped off (I also work-full time at another job, so I can afford to do that). I don`t do big jobs and usually work on "normal" cars. Since I don`t currently have insurance, I won`t work on any expensive car either. Not one person has complained and if they ask why I need to use their power and pulled up in a beat up `96 Corolla I just say, "if I drove a truck and used a gas generator I would have to charge more for my services and I would be polluting the environment just to be convenient. You won`t notice the increase in your power or water bill, but you will notice the decrease in what I charge. Which is a whopping $5 I take off if they complain (never had to do it though).

If you keep your neighbors on your good side and produce quality work, nobody will care.

Nth Degree
03-31-2012, 11:49 PM
I work out of my garage and mobile as well. I haven`t had any issues with people balking at my small garage. Most of my business comes from referrals and my work speaks for itself. When people consider the work coming out of "professional shops" compared to my work coming out of my garage, it`s really a no-brainer.

I recently moved and have a small, one car garage, so have to do some work such as washing outside. Being friendly and courteous to the neighbors is important. Insurance is the big hassle I`ve had to deal with. As a mobile detailer the risk is minimal. If there is a fire, theft or something that otherwise totals the vehicle it would fall under the owners insurance. When you garage a vehicle the risks are significantly higher. I do a fair amount of work, but am not full time, so taking my insurance to a higher level is just not worth it for the one car every few months that exceeds my limits. For those I simply work at their garage.

I have a DBA and business account for a more professional appearance, but it is not necessary unless you are looking to grow your business. If it is just a side thing, then it shouldn`t be an issue. As for legalities, if all of your work is done inside your garage, then it would be hard to enforce. Kind of like trying to enforce it on a CPA or attorney who has a home office. As long as your neighbors aren`t bothered by it, you should have nothing to worry about.

safetyman2010
04-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Insurance is the big hassle I`ve had to deal with. As a mobile detailer the risk is minimal. If there is a fire, theft or something that otherwise totals the vehicle it would fall under the owners insurance. When you garage a vehicle the risks are significantly higher.

Who told you that? I`ll assure you that if you cause damage to a customer`s vehicle you are 100% responsible and if their insurance company handles the claim they will want to recoup their losses from whomever was responsible. There is a mobile guy here that found out the hard way after he accidentally started a fire in a customers garage who resulted in a $500K insurance claim. Last I heard the insurance company is suing him over it.

nyakerz
04-06-2012, 10:04 PM
subrogation. the insurance company (insurer) will step into the shoes of the owner(insured) and go after the one liable for the damages.

Lotuseffect
04-11-2012, 06:31 PM
I detail out of my garage at home when/if the customer doesnt mind. No issues with the neighbors. I dont turn on a polisher before 10am or after 7pm at night. Work very quietly, and my direct next door neighbor I throw a bone every once in a while. (wash/waxed his daughters car for graduation for free etc) Keeps him happy and quiet about it.

I prefer using a customers garage and I have lost customers who didnt like the fact I did the work in my garage but just hit them with "Henry Ford built the first Model T in his garage too in his spare time" Usually once they realize I am an LLC and insured their concerns go away, but sometimes not and you have to expect a little of that.

Nth Degree
04-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Who told you that? I`ll assure you that if you cause damage to a customer`s vehicle you are 100% responsible and if their insurance company handles the claim they will want to recoup their losses from whomever was responsible. There is a mobile guy here that found out the hard way after he accidentally started a fire in a customers garage who resulted in a $500K insurance claim. Last I heard the insurance company is suing him over it.

I was referring more to things like storms, fires started elsewhere in the home, theft, damage caused by a third party, etc. Of course if the detailer is the cause of the problem they are responsible. I live under the flight path of RDU. My insurance agent told me of an incident where a part from a plane fell right through the garage and the car inside. I simply was stating that storing a vehicle carries certain risks that wouldn`t exist at the owners home.

Envious Eric
04-12-2012, 08:28 PM
damn, I offer it as a courtesy when the client doesnt have a garage for me to work in...

"ideal conditions are not outside, and you want the best possible result, correct?"

People actually ask me if they can bring it over to my place from time to time. I have probably brought home 20 cars in the last two years...not a big deal.