PDA

View Full Version : $1000 Dollars To Spend

Pages : [1] 2

Jeff. AutoKraft
08-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Ok, i got a grand to spend on products (already have equipment) to get my business started & id love some suggestians on what to buy that will get the best results for this budget. I already have a Festool rotary,a pw, an extraction machine etc etc. As for products, i have Menzerna polishes & P21s 100 wax.

imported_Jakerooni
08-21-2009, 10:42 PM
What do you want? Volume? or quality? What is your business plan set up for?

JSFM35X
08-22-2009, 05:13 AM
Ok, i got a grand to spend on products (already have equipment) to get my business started & id love some suggestians on what to buy that will get the best results for this budget. I already have a Festool rotary,a pw, an extraction machine etc etc. As for products, i have Menzerna polishes & P21s 100 wax.

Clay, wash, bug n Tar, 2 Buckets w/grit guards, wash mit, APC, sealant, glass cleaner, vacuum, plenty of MF (buy good quality and try before you purchase too many, leaf blower (optional), work check light, DA of some type, pads, applicators.

These are generic names of the items you wil need, it depends on what your comfortable with and what type of cars/customers you have lined up. You will most likly need various polishes for different paint hardness and condition if you plan on doing this for a living. More expensive does not always = better. Quality prep and attention to details beat a rich guy with the best of everything and no clue how to use it!

and then Marketing for CUSTOMERS or at the same time

Good luck-Do quality work without taking shortcuts and you will grow by WOM faster than any other type of marketing.

Accumulator
08-22-2009, 11:34 AM
If you could use a DA of some kind, I`d get that. Othewise, I`d put the money into good lighting and then save the rest for advertising and/or unforseen expenses.

Do you have your facilities all sorted out..building/etc.?

wfedwar
08-22-2009, 11:42 AM
If you could use a DA of some kind, I`d get that. Othewise, I`d put the money into good lighting and then save the rest for advertising and/or unforseen expenses.

+1

Very important! Other than that, my advice is to pick a few good products and stick with them. No need to have a huge arsenal of 10 sealants, 25 waxes, etc. Better to have a couple and know how to use them IMO.

Accumulator
08-22-2009, 12:33 PM
And specifically, a 3M SunGun will let you do inspection that`s simply impossible when the weather/etc. won`t cooperate. That`d be a big chunk out of a $1K budget all by itself.

Anthony O.
08-22-2009, 02:06 PM
So you have $1000 to spend on products?

What does that leave you left with to run your business?

You should be able to get the products you need for under $300. You don`t NEED 2 buckets, nor a sun gun. (no offense to those who mentioned those items). You`re operating a business that works on buying cheap selling high...in other words you must turn a profit in order to stay in business. You`re not running a enthusiast shop to please the "Click N Brag" crowd because if you are you`ll be out of business quick.

Do you have insurance and if so is it at least 1 million or better in coverage? Does your city require any type of license to run your business?

Check locally for an Auto Magic dealer, Malco, PRO or Carbrite. Ask them for "samples" of their products and many times they will hand over a good number of products, many times in gallons.

Don`t buy redundant products such as 5 different paste waxes or 4 different dressings for tires. Use the samples and only buy what works and is cost effective. Trust me on this. I had to learn the hard way.

Anthony

Legacy
08-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Good advice Anthony, except no extra bucket? LOL!

Anthony O.
08-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Good advice Anthony, except no extra bucket? LOL!

Only if it comes with a foam gun and digital read out for an Iphone to measure paint thickness! :woot:

DaGonz
08-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Only if it comes with a foam gun and digital read out for an Iphone to measure paint thickness! :woot:

Give it time.. Apple will come out with an app for that! :LOLOL

Jeff. AutoKraft
08-22-2009, 07:13 PM

Yeah facilities are sorted, i was getting a shed that needed fitting out etc etc but when i notified the guys i am currently working for they offered me a deal to run the business out of the shed they got which has it all in terms of equipment/lighting/location etc. Advertising/Marketing/insurance/permits are taken care of so all i need is the products to use with equipment i`ve got. My area has a mobile detailer only an a auto carwash so if i play this right it could be very profitable.

GS4_Fiend
08-22-2009, 11:30 PM
I spent almost 2000! Just for personal use!

Accumulator
08-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah facilities are sorted ..equipment/lighting/location ... Advertising/Marketing/insurance/permits are taken care of so all i need is the products to use with equipment i`ve got..

Ah, cool, sounds like a great opportunity!

I`d limit what you use and keep the leftover money for a rainy day (or month). Go with Anthony`s advice.

Jeff. AutoKraft
08-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Ah, cool, sounds like a great opportunity!

I`d limit what you use and keep the leftover money for a rainy day (or month). Go with Anthony`s advice.

Yeas its great advice & i have spare $$`s for the first couple of months besides from the grand to spend to get me through.

We do have a local Malco/Autosmart/PPG dealer but their pricing on products that are not too bad to use are the same or more costly in most cases than it is to order the higher end products from the states etc, so it makes more sense to extend my trade links to first hand resellers overseas. Anyway, further down the track im looking at taking this dealer on in terms of supply to the community.

:xyxthumbs

Jeff. AutoKraft
08-24-2009, 02:39 AM
ok, ive found a combination of products that really grab my attention for this budget & will probably re-order every couple months or so. here goes

1) Optimum Compound/Polish (both 32oz)

2) Menzerna PG/SIP/106FA/85RD/FTG/FMJ (all 32oz)

3)Gilmour Foammaster

4)Microfibre Kit

5)Jetseal 109 32oz

6)50/50 Wax

7)Lake Country 6.5in Kit (7pads)

8)303 Fabric & vinyl cleaner

9)303 protectant

10)Black Wow

11)Chem Guys Maxi Suds

12)P21s Gel Wheel Cleaner 128oz

13)Poorboys Wheel Sealant

15)Blackfire tyre gel