PDA

View Full Version : "But sir this is a waterless carwash!"

Pages : [1] 2 3

Evenflow
06-28-2008, 08:52 AM
I just went up the street to get gasoline, and there was this clueless kid with a stand outside the station selling his aerosol "waterless car wash". I saw him spraying other peoples cars with it, then taking his FILTHY terry clothes and wiping the residue off to show that "new shine". I`m trying to fill as fast as I can so I can leave but this pump is SLOW!

He finally comes over to me and gives me the waterless schpeel. I said to him ok cool, but no thanks. And he goes "Why sir?" and then he goes "here let me show you a test spot on your car!" as if he was benefiting me somehow. I told him politely no, and then he proceeded to go and try to do it anyways. Now it takes A LOT to get me angry but for some reason I felt the only way to get this kid off my back was to use a few choice words, which I will not include here. I said listen kid, you better get away from my car with that dirty rag. You`ve already cleaned probably 20 cars with that same rag this morning and there`s no way that is coming in contact with my paint. And everyone else was around and actually heard me say this to him and the best thing he could do was give a little "heh". Then he goes "But sir this is a waterless carwash! this means that this dirt wont get onto your car!." And that`s when I really went off on him.

This has been an on going problem at this gas station (SHELL) for the past few weeks and I have been lucky to not get hit by any of these "detailers" until today.

Just had to share, I was :hairpull the whole ride home.

8Banger
06-28-2008, 09:10 AM
same thing happened to me a while back at a phillips 66. he didn`t touch my car, he asked why i didn`t want my car clean? he said it was a shame that i would drive a dirty car. he was just trying to be forceful. he had no idea. yeah, i was pissed off too. :headbang

skitelluride531
06-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Yikes - I`ll have to steer clear of that shell station in Boston.

Evenflow
06-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Yikes - I`ll have to steer clear of that shell station in Boston.

Ah I go to Curry like 20 minutes from Babson.

bwalker25
06-28-2008, 10:14 AM
they`re here in durham too. Guy tried to get my car last year after I had 5 coats of ultima on it. He said this will help keep your car looking new...glad he didn`t come near my car though....

Scottwax
06-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Someone tried that with my car about a year ago. I told the guy if he touched my car, that can would go sideways up his "out" hole and I`d make it fit if I had to.

mr.ikon
06-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Some guy came to me at the shell gas station once. He said his little thing that he had to say, and asked if he could demonstrate on my rim. I said go ahead. Next he then tried to put that waterless wash on my paint with the same rag he used on my rims. Thats when it all went down south. What kind of stuff is that!?!

skitelluride531
06-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Ah I go to Curry like 20 minutes from Babson.

Nice. What Shell station were you at?

Envious Eric
06-28-2008, 12:41 PM
guys do it all day long crossing the cali/mex border...just walking around the whole day with the same two rags...****** part is that people pay these guys a few bucks for a "clean car"

charlesaferg
06-28-2008, 12:47 PM
As long as they don`t associate with being a detailer, it can be repaired. Seriously, what do we do all day anyways? I understand they`re scamming, but if everyone`s car in the world was perfect we`d be out of a job yo.

Still though, they don`t know any better. Best we try and make it known it`s unacceptable. Still, the most specialized our expertise and exclusive our knowledge, the better we shall do.

JonP
06-28-2008, 01:05 PM
There was this one guy come walking into my shop a few years ago trying to convince me that his APC is "all that". So he tried to clean up a spot on the cement floor, failed miserably. I told him I have some APC that will clean up that spot and I do not want your stuff since it cost twice as much as mine. He even tried to bargain with me on some audio equipment and half price on the cleaner. I told him to leave, I`m just not interested.

imported_Picus
06-28-2008, 01:27 PM
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/deg/campfire/images/LouisvilleSlugger.jpg

imported_smprince1
06-28-2008, 02:11 PM
I told him politely no, and then he proceeded to go and try to do it anyways.

This is the point where he showed a lack of respect for you and your property.

It`s OK for people to try and sell me something ..... but it`s also OK for me to decline as I`m not obligated to agree to what they are selling.

Once they cross the line of respecting me and my wishes, they`ve lost me as a potential customer.

jbone
06-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Same thing happened to me the other day at a Hess station. Although the guy was real nice. He didnt ask twice to do my truck. But it was probably because I made it perfectly clear the first time he asked what I intended to do if he got any closer to it.

mborner
06-30-2008, 07:09 AM
Anybody ever driven over the border from Mexico back into San Diego? While waiting at the border check, For tip money, some of the Mexicans will try to wipe the dust and dirt off your car with a dry rag!!:soscared: You practically have to jump out of your car and shove them off.