PDA

View Full Version : Your Dream Wax

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

benvegas
11-16-2006, 03:11 AM
....what would be in it? Would you go for a high carnauba weight/volume or would you go with the exotic oils such as zymol produces (or both!)? What is missing from current waxes? Where would you improve if you were a manufacturer?

Currently we`re working on a new hard wax fomula, I`d like to try a "Pay $2-$3 for shipping" deal where for the couple dollars donated to the post office you can try out a regular sized tub of wax as we test our own beta versions along side your own tests. This type of interaction has never been done before, and I think it`d be neat to make the worlds first enthusiast designed wax. The only requirements, of course, would be a form of results report from each tester so we can tweak each batch based on feedback. We`re on batch #11 right now of the product, the end goal is to exceed 5050 results and be a little more on the exotic side while maintaining affordability. When will it be out? 3 Months is a reasonable time frame and expect around 20 more batches to be created. When will testing start? "Soon".

DM101
11-16-2006, 06:21 AM
Pin. Souveran or 5050 with some more gloss and depth if possible, maybe a mix of Ps and the old Pin. Glaz. Maybe Like PS with a pure polish meg #81 built in. Something that looks extremely wet, deep, with a life of one month. Waxing does not bother me. I will be glad to be a testor for you.

firegate
11-16-2006, 06:44 AM
After having a chance to play with some of the Zymol EG`s, I think the main edge they have over other waxes like Souveran lies in the way they reflect light. They tend to add a bit of color to sun reflections, etc, that looks great on lights and darks alike. I`m not exactly sure what aspect of the waxes themselves cause this, but it`s the only major discernible advantage I`ve noticed so far (and I otherwise prefer Souveran to the Zymol waxes for ease of use and depth). I`d also be happy to help test waxes.

Dan
11-16-2006, 07:20 AM
Its already a crowded market and compromise will only lead you to mediocrity. You might as well go for all out depth and color as shine is taken by some of the sealants and product life is taken by some rather inexpensive choices. I`ve played with a lot of waxes including the Zymol estate glazes as well as some of the preffered sealants. Call me a spoil sport but the final look is in the prep work, not the product.

joshtpa
11-16-2006, 07:23 AM
yakky,

That may be true, but you cannot tell me that there are not differences between a good wax like megs #26 and a tub of turtle wax from walmart. Different products do different things and granted the prep work makes a big deal in the final look, so does the wax.

Dan
11-16-2006, 07:34 AM
yakky,

That may be true, but you cannot tell me that there are not differences between a good wax like megs #26 and a tub of turtle wax from walmart. Different products do different things and granted the prep work makes a big deal in the final look, so does the wax.

Absolutely, I was implying at the quality product level (i.e Megs vs Mothers vs One Grand). Kinda like saying a Toyota is better than a Honda ... its splitting hairs. One step products are in a category of their own. I do think there is a big difference in those.

Demonicus666
11-16-2006, 09:02 AM
How about the wieght and volume percentage of a Zymol Royale estate glaze (wax), but make it more affordable so that the everday person could afford it.

I would also iike to see something like Swissol Divine, in which it is a custom made wax specific to your car, maybe this can be made affordable again so that regular folks can afford these two glorious waxes.

"what would be in it? Would you go for a high carnaub"a weight/volume or would you go with the exotic oils such as zymol produces (or both!)?" Meh I would go with both of these also!!

coupe
11-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Im not sure how this would work.

Everyone sees there paint in a different way. One person might think X wax looks the best while a different person thinks that X wax sucks and preffers XX wax. Its all in the eye of the beholder and therefore you cant make 1 wax that is a dream wax to all.

joshtpa
11-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Plus, depending on the color of your car, you look for different things. For instance some people want depth in color. I have a white car, and look for shine.

TeutonicCarFan
11-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Plus, depending on the color of your car, you look for different things. For instance some people want depth in color. I have a white car, and look for shine.

Which wax would you use for depth and which would you use for shine. I am debating getting Zymol EG Concours...anyone approve/disapprove?

coupe
11-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Which wax would you use for depth and which would you use for shine. I am debating getting Zymol EG Concours...anyone approve/disapprove?

That would be up to you, Josh cant tell you what has the best depth and shine in YOUR eyes.

Dan
11-16-2006, 10:46 AM

Probably might want to start a thread with what you are currently using and what condition the paint is in, etc.

Mikeyc
11-16-2006, 10:54 AM
After having a chance to play with some of the Zymol EG`s, I think the main edge they have over other waxes like Souveran lies in the way they reflect light. They tend to add a bit of color to sun reflections, etc, that looks great on lights and darks alike. I`m not exactly sure what aspect of the waxes themselves cause this, but it`s the only major discernible advantage I`ve noticed so far (and I otherwise prefer Souveran to the Zymol waxes for ease of use and depth). I`d also be happy to help test waxes.

I`m with firegate on this one. I think Zymol EG waxes set the high watermark. I`ve used them on multiple cars of differing color (properly polished first of course ;) ) and they always impart a wet, deep, and reflective shine. A lot of waxes do this and where I think Zymol sets itself apart is not only the extreme depth of reflection but also reflection accuracy. When I say reflection accuracy I mean the lines of the reflection are sharp and the colors are re-produced accurately. I`ve found the difference is more pronounced on colors other than black which is a color that creates reflections much more easily.

So, basically what I`m saying is make a wax like Zymol Vintage (high carnauba content/high oil content) but make it cheaper and easier to apply/remove. Then I think you have a winner.

Of course, I`m always available for testing products. ;)

benvegas
11-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the very constructive and informative replies so far -- something I expected from Autopians. :-)

What you guys are looking for and what we are trying to develop sounds exactly like what we want. Did you know 1Lb of #1 Carnauba flakes is only $3? This is why I want to compete with Zymol specifically. Beating the CG 5050 is pretty easy, it`s a very basic formula but the cooking time is what makes the wax unique -- it`s cooked for almost 8 hours and impurities are purged during that time. Reflection and accurate color representation is something Zymol has always done well. That however is also fairly easy, it`s just a pain to find all of the oils which is something our chemical buyers are working on at the moment. Certainly despite the cost of Carnauba in raw form, a bulk of waxes prices is built into the equipment and time involved in making it. Still, I cant figure out $7000 glazes and $2000 waxes. It just doesnt make sense.

Keep the info coming, I`ll keep updating the thread as this progresses. I think it`ll be fun. :)

-Ben

lbls1
11-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Very interesting topic. Although I still have a hard time accepting some of the prices that Zymol commands, IMO I have yet to see any wax or lsp perform to the same degree as an EGZymol.

Now as to the question as to whether you can create a product that can perform on the same level.....that is a hypothetical question that I am not sure could be answered in text form. The only true way to evaluate a wax that would challenge a high caliber Zymol would be to put this product to the test, head for head and volume to volume, against the Zymol and observe whether it can match or better the performance.

A distinguishing characteristic concerning Zymol`s ingredients is that their waxes contain a majority of naturally derived ingredients, in addition to a very high content of refined carnauba extract. A product that is aiming to compete in the same target market of an EG Zymol would have to take into consideration the type of ingredients as well as the quality of the manufacturing that Zymol features, in order to produce a product that can be compared equally to a Zymol.

At the very least it would make a fact filled and interesting comparison.