Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work time

Post Thanks / Like

Work time

Hi all
    i use HD speed to correct with an orbital, similar to Groits garage new 15mm throw machine.
    the problem I am having is product keeps drying out after only a couple of passes.
    Making it is really hard to remove
    must be a heat prob as in the winter no issues.
    any suggestions and could I mist the section I`m working on with water to help removal
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Work time

Too much product
    too little product
    old pad

Might want to try a spritz of water
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Stokdgs, broncoupe, GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

dirty pad
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes broncoupe, GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Spritz your pad with some water or a quick detailer as Ron has already stated. I do my first application with the fresh pad by Appling a bead of product around the OD of the pad and just 3-4 small drops of product after that.
    Likes broncoupe, GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

image.jpg
    Thanks but there`s always a but
    the pad is clean
    not to much product
    2011 Range Rover Sport
    this is how I did it
    light spray of QA first 5 pea sized blobs on a 5" microfibre pad, did the bonnet in 4 sections at speed 2/5
    no probs
    pad at this point warm not hot
    moved to left side when I got to the door section, found product was drying too fast so no work time
    also xxxxx to remove
    reduced the speed which gave me more time but isn`t that less effective on correction?
    it maybe as simple as a light mist of water but won`t the microfibre quickly clog up or become too wet ?
    love the product just want to get the best out of it
    end result was great but like to know how I got there rather than just move on.
    Last edited by broncoupe; 08-12-2015 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Add picture
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by broncoupe View Post
    Thanks but there`s always a but
    the pad is clean
    not to much product
    2011 Range Rover Sport
    this is how I did it
    light spray of QA first 5 pea sized blobs on a 5" microfibre pad, did the bonnet in 4 sections at speed 2/5
    no probs
    pad at this point warm not hot
    moved to left side when I got to the door section, found product was drying too fast so no work time
    also xxxxx to remove
    reduced the speed which gave me more time but isn`t that less effective on correction?
    it maybe as simple as a light mist of water but won`t the microfibre quickly clog up or become too wet ?
    love the product just want to get the best out of it
    end result was great but like to know how I got there rather than just move on.
    So you did an entire panel and then you started to have problems with the product drying out?
    After an entire panel the pad is heated up and should be swapped out.

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t comment on MF Pads since I use my HD Speed on Foam Pads, and it`s never gotten hot, even when working it at speed 6 on a flex3401 for 2 passes and heavy pressure,then down to speed 4-5 with moderate pressure for 2 passes and finishing on speed 3-4 with light to no pressure....zero heating up, the surface of the paint/panel was hot but not my pad.

Used it the other day to clean a water spot covered hood on a black CRV, cleaned up beautifully , even better than using M205 alone. This was working it outdoors,no direct sunlight (around 6pm light sun) but temperature outside was in the high 80s/low 90s and humid. Also previously worked inside of a closed garage while it was the same temperature outside, worked the entire vehicle and left product to haze on surface the whole time as i worked around the vehicle,then wiped all of it off in the end without any issues whatsoever, i was VERY impressed. See if it works better for you on a foam pad (?)

*Edit* : Paul, i submitted my post the same time as yours, so my statement regarding hot pads is not meant/typed to contradict yours, the OP is mentioning MF pads and i`m just sharing my experience with Foam instead. Just clearing that up to avoid any confusion. I did switch my pads after every panel or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool so you use 3 / 4 pads per job

Post Thanks / Like

What foam do you recommend

Post Thanks / Like

Any comments help
    we all want to be the best and information helps us all
    people rave over my work which is fantastic but you guys understand when I say something bugs us as applicators
    this industry has an extremely high personal satisfaction factor
    Last edited by broncoupe; 08-12-2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Me, personally, i used to use about 5 of each cutting and polish pads per job but that`s because i couldn`t afford to buy more, so i used to spend a lot of time cleaning them and whatnot. I eventually managed to stock up on more to where at this point i have enough cutting and polishing pads to use one fresh pad for every panel on the car ( guesstimate 10-12 pads of one purpose per job) .

I use Lake Country CCS and Flat Pads (mostly Orange and White) and have been satisfied with them so far. I know there are tons of other options out there that lots of people say are much better and i don`t deny the fact that they might be, but this is just my opinion and so far I have been pretty pleased with them. They`re reasonably priced too, so that`s a plus since i like to have as many as i can afford.

I`d say try it on a Polishing Foam Pad of your preferred brand you currently have with you or feel like buying and trying out (quite a few threads talking about good foam pads here in AF), and see what happens. Remember that HD Speed and AIOs are not meant to give you tons of correction, it`s mainly for paint cleaning with the added benefit of correcting some deffects while rejuvenating the paint. IME it has exceeded my expectations when it comes to cleaning up oxidation and swirls , so this product is a definite 100% win for me as a one Step. Don`t give up on it, keep trying different things out and good luck!
    Likes broncoupe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool so you use 3 / 4 pads per job
    At least. As Migue said, the more the better. If you only have 3-4 pads you`ll need to spend more time cleaning and won`t be able to detail the entire car without stopping to clean out pads.

What foam do you recommend
    The GG 15mm Boss has a long throw oribit, which tends generates more heat than a traditional Dual action polisher.
    For that reason I`d suggest going with a pad designed for the Long Throw machines, I`ve worked with all of the Griot`s Boss Pads and have found them to be top notch and did not have any problems with heat even while compounding.

Related to that, if you`re not using a microfiber pad designed for the long throw than that will contribute to your pads getting hot sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    I can`t comment on MF Pads since I use my HD Speed on Foam Pads, and it`s never gotten hot, even when working it at speed 6 on a flex3401 for 2 passes and heavy pressure,then down to speed 4-5 with moderate pressure for 2 passes and finishing on speed 3-4 with light to no pressure....zero heating up, the surface of the paint/panel was hot but not my pad.

Used it the other day to clean a water spot covered hood on a black CRV, cleaned up beautifully , even better than using M205 alone. This was working it outdoors,no direct sunlight (around 6pm light sun) but temperature outside was in the high 80s/low 90s and humid. Also previously worked inside of a closed garage while it was the same temperature outside, worked the entire vehicle and left product to haze on surface the whole time as i worked around the vehicle,then wiped all of it off in the end without any issues whatsoever, i was VERY impressed. See if it works better for you on a foam pad (?)

*Edit* : Paul, i submitted my post the same time as yours, so my statement regarding hot pads is not meant/typed to contradict yours, the OP is mentioning MF pads and i`m just sharing my experience with Foam instead. Just clearing that up to avoid any confusion. I did switch my pads after every panel or so.
    No worries Migue, you made some great points and I agree with your statement that he will have better luck with foam pads. MF pads tend to get clogged with product quicker than foam and also receive less air to help keep them cool so that is undoubtedly contributing to the problems broncoupe is having.
    Likes broncoupe liked this post
    Thanks Migue thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Question to the OP - did you mention that you very often took the pads and brushed out the product or blew them out with air to lift up the microfibers ?
    If you are not doing that then this can also contribute to them not working so well after a while...

I personally have tried microfiber on a D/A and Rotary and find that with care, once you get the hang of it, they can get you pretty good results very quickly - but the high maintenance (to me), they require often when using them is not going to work for my business model, so I have lots of them that are never going to come out of the cabinet..

As far as foam, for my requirements and model, nothing to date has caused me to want to switch from our good old standby - Lake Country Hydro-Shreds, in the Cyan color for great correction and finish, and the Tangerine color for polishing if needed and finishing down even better if needed..

These bad boys have seen everything I have thrown at them (except Airplane Paint) and they can pretty much kill defects consistently for me on my Makita 9227C...

I like these the best over all the foam pads I have because I dont have to switch out a bunch of colors to get amazing correction, clarity, and gloss, every time.. Been doing it this way for years..
    Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Never to old or stupid not to take well said advise, will try some foam pads and different microfibre
    I noticed the GG ones are a lot thinner than meguires which I currently use.
    in UK we have a machine which is similar to GG 15mm throw
    I have a flex 3401 also, need to extend the cable far to short on UK versions, mine also vibrates your wrist badly, that`s why I don`t bother with it

Post Thanks / Like

It`s a really great to talk to people that care about our craft
    UK forums are not good little groups of people with set ideas and no scope for other views.
    proven by the fact 3D products are virtually unobtainable in UK get mine from USA direct well worth the postage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information