Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RC Trucks/cars

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RC Trucks/cars

Looks like a nice truck. You get 4x4 for less than I paid for my Rustler. Should be a perfect starting point for you to get back into it.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Circuit 1:10 4wd ST BL, AVC: RTR (ECX03017): ECX RC

Same model but BRUSHLESS. Hard to decide to jump up to BRUSHLESS vs BRUSHED. BOTH nice trucks tho. Debate is your better off starting brushless than going brushed then upgrade. Cheaper in the long run.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

That is a big jump in price, you could always upgrade later if you find yourself wanting more. I`ve never had brushless but I`ve seen it in action. Looks nice though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I started brushed and got bored in about 3 months. IMO upgrading could be cheaper and/or better. If the upgrade now is $100 you can get some pretty nice brushless motors & controllers for less than that OR you can get a MUCH MUCH better quality setup than what you would get stock for only a few dollars more than that $100. And you also learn some about your truck as you go. If I had to do it again I`d do what I did and buy the brushed and upgrade to a Castle motor & controller again. Same with my daughter`s I`d go brushed with hers and upgrade to a cheaper setup brushless for much less than the $100 factory upgrade.
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, pondering it more. The brushed circuit looks like a good truck for the money. Just upgrade to a 4500mha batt for longer run time.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/AjaxOrd...vVMo%2FQpkr8kC

$280 is not too bad to get back into it and have a fun summer hobby.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to come in and post about this. With batteries I would go straight to LIPO if the ESC can handle it. You will also need a charger for them but I have moved away from the NIMH completely for both our trucks. My DD is 13 and been driving hers on LIPO for over 2 years so you should be fine lol
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Post Thanks / Like

On the LIPO note....From team associated, this really looks like a COMPLETE RTR package.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-as...c9050c/p449705
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes b00gyman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That will probably be a pretty sweet RC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Post Thanks / Like

I did shoot you a PM. I have some questions on your rustler. I also looked at that one too. Brushed/Brushless. Only negative on traxxas brushed that i have heard is their titan motor is very short lived. But the rustler VXL Brushless looks nice. Add some anaconda tires for the pavement. I take it the stock tires will not last long on pavement?

Thanks Don.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the type of rubber and the size of the knobs. When I raced we used the small pin knobs and the pavement would eat them up in short time. 20 years ago all kinds of different tread pattern were available. I even ran foam on my Traxxas truck for indoor racing. They work great on pavement also. I couldn`t imagine the selection nowadays.

When looking into brushed motors the higher the turns on the armature the less powerful and the longer it will last and you will get longer run times. Stock motors when I raced were 27 turn and they were plenty fast, we had adjustable motor plates and would run the largest motor pinion to go the fastest possible and last 4 minutes of race time. The lower turn motors are powerful but do to the heat generated is why they don`t last. Usually the commutator gets burned and it eats up the brushes. Brushes are easily replaced and they made an eraser type tool way back when for cleaning the commutator on sealed end bell motors.

Hmmm, wonder if any of my gear is worth anything these days.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve got a few around here as well. Happen to have an old Rustler, was my son`s first one. That one though is heavily modified (although still not brushless). Changes out control arms, hinge pins, shocks, gears, wheels, tires, controller, servos, motor, etc. But the biggest part of the `mod` is I went over every little place I could with a Dremel and hollowed it out. Don, you`ll know what I`m talking about. Where all the bracing is in the chassis, I went around all those areas with a cutting bit and took quite a bit of plastic out. It lightened it up a LOT. The back end tends to want to pass the front quite a bit.

Then of course there is the old E-MAXX from the same era. Some RPM parts on it, different gears, motors, servos, and light shock mods.

The big money pit I have is a full Integy polished Aluminum Revo with a big block. Nothing on that thing is stock but just a few pieces here and there. Last count I had well over $2500 in it, WELL OVER. It`s more of a show truck than a basher, and it`s HEAVY as crap also..... just don`t like getting it dirty! LOL

Then the evil twin to the show Revo is a carbon fiber chassis one, same big block, but all (long) RPM arms, mods everywhere, pipe, front and rear main shafts, wheel shafts, oversized bearings (hub bearings), really ultra light for a Revo. Custom dyed the RPM pieces in red RIT dye. Wheels, arms, bumpers, even spoiler. They look awesome! Built that one for my son and the first time he drove it he ran it up his shin running about 30MPH and about broke his leg. Parked it... and it`s not been run in years.

Then I`ve got a fairly stock OFNA buggy. Not the fastest thing on the planet, runs closer to the ground than the trucks (which means you need CLEAN dirt to run it), but it`s tough as nails.

Of course I have a pile of OEM controllers then two KO Propo Controllers, an original MARS that was far better than anything OEM and still complicated over a OEM controller, but easy enough to get far better performance than a factor one when it comes to how well you`re RC`s will drive.

Then I invested in an KO Propo EX-10 Helios that takes multiple engineering degrees to program! I had to read the manual over a WEEK before I would even consider trying to run one of my trucks with it.

Think I have it set to run 3 of the trucks I have, the two Revo`s, and the OFNA. It`ll hold up to 10 different vehicles. The trick though is you can program quickness of the servos, how linear they are, ABS, launch control, punch, fast turn in vs slow turn in vs slow at first then faster the more they move towards their programed motion etc. Throttle response can be programmed nine ways from Sunday to get that perfect start, yet have maximum speed say 50` out (for instance).

I`ve never got around to programming everything it`ll do, and taking notes on one versus the other... just too much. It`s literally amazing how many parameters the darned thing has. Of course it`ll do lap counting, lap timing and all that. It`s not a `digital` controller though, but it is FM (with quick change modules, and frequency modules as well).

Then there are the piles of custom painted bodies. Some of which have never been used.

Of course no serious RC-er would be caught out without a complete racing kit, parts bin, tons of extra shocks, shock valving, shock oils of ALL thickness, gears, screws, tools, pipes.... went crazy with that stuff back 10 years ago, (and hardly ever used ANY of it). Got another grand there for sure.

Can`t remember the name of it now, but I bought this aluminum jig that I can use to align all four wheels. Mounts to the axle shafts and allows you to set caster, camber, toe, ride height.... you name it. Problem is, the big Revo`s are too big to fit both sides at once!

Too much money spent there for SURE.
    Later,

Cardaddy aka/Tony
    DetailedReflection@charter.net

Post Thanks / Like

For now torn between the RUSTLER XVL and ECX BRUSHLESS STADIUM TRUCK. The rustler ordered with wheelie bar/front bumper/anaconda f&r wheels/tires/ac charger tops at over $400. The ECX with no extras really needed is about $329

https://www.rcsuperstore.com/ShoppingCart.asp?

Well, who win`s? LOL If i do this i want to do it right once.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve got one of those Losi micro rock crawlers and I like to build obstacle courses and hill climbs using legos with my son`s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    For now torn between the RUSTLER XVL and ECX BRUSHLESS STADIUM TRUCK. The rustler ordered with wheelie bar/front bumper/anaconda f&r wheels/tires/ac charger tops at over $400. The ECX with no extras really needed is about $329

https://www.rcsuperstore.com/ShoppingCart.asp?

Well, who win`s? LOL If i do this i want to do it right once.
    You absolutely want to go with 4WD. While the Rustler is fun, as I noted above, the back end tends to spend a lot of time trying to pass the front. Throw in brushless torque and I can`t imagine how much of a pita it`d be. Don`t get me wrong... doing 347 donuts during a battery run has it`s giggles...... but if you`re trying to run it around in your yard, say sit out some sort of track and NOT bang into the trees, the 4WD is easier to handle.

I`d probably go with the Monster Truck over the stadium truck.
    This is why..... bigger tires means it doesn`t get all caught up with twigs, leaves, and debris NEAR AS EASILY. Best of both worlds would be the long A-arm Stadium Truck with bigger wheels.

That`s what I did with all my E-MAXX, T-MAXX, even the Revo`s. Longer A-arms make for more travel, and a MUCH more stable truck in the turns when you`re bashing around in the yard.

Now if you`re in a CLEAN dirt, open field, (no gravel, no rocks, no boulders, no water washes and gullies) the lower to the ground 4WD vehicles are a blast.

But when bashing in the yard, even grass affects how they run. My OFNA buggy is a BEAST, but it`s not for yard bashing. Leaves just pile up in front of it until I can get it to jump over them. (If there are too many it`ll just spin the tires.) This is where the low to the ground vehicles like running in open fields, or a track. Problem is.... around here tracks were very hard to find for years. Only one I know of now that`s local, and not sure when it`s even open. Although there is a place well north of Atlanta, up close to where my grandfather used to live that has a dirt track (off road), a concrete street course, and a concrete high banked oval. (Well... they DID last time I was playing with them.) You should see how serious the `teams` are on race weekends. Guys with enclosed trailer `haulers` with complete workshops inside! Talking about motor lathes, AC, generators, you name it. Typical builder, construction guy, electrician, HVAC company work truck pulling a trailer full of RC gear that he has $30,000 invested in!!!!!
    Later,

Cardaddy aka/Tony
    DetailedReflection@charter.net

Post Thanks / Like

Points taken cardaddy. This will mostly be a pavement dweller. BUT.....MT are fine too. Here are two good examples also.

Ruckus1:10 4wd MT BL, AVC: RTR (ECX03016): ECX RC

Ruckus 1:10 4wd Monster Truck Brushed: RTR (ECX03042): ECX RC
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information