Post Thanks / Like

ive learned to colorsand ..about time

ive finally got the guts to learn to colorsand ..i went to the local paint supply store and picked up some 3m extra cut compound and some 2000 grit paper ..my hotrod has a fiberglass hood that is going to get painted black so i had nothing to lose ...i got my rubber sanding block and soaked the paper ..started sanding in one direction and used a waterblade to check my work ..i got it where i felt comfortable and fired up the makita with an edge 2k yellow pad and got after it ..it went smooth ..i do know how to use a rotary pretty well..after a few passes it was looking good so i kept at it and upped the speed dial to 3 ..turned out great ..then i tried the roof ..the car has a so so..basecoat clearcoat paint job .. same process and it turned out great ..overall im happy with the compound and thanks to mike phillips and others i stepped up a notch on the detailing ladder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ive learned to colorsand ..about time

Ron, NICE!

First time that I did it I was real nervous, still am in some cases. The results are amazing
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

nice work

Post Thanks / Like

this is new to me but i will master it because thats the way i am ... my sanding will need lots of work but im headed in the right direction ..
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigron62 View Post
    this is new to me but i will master it because thats the way i am ... my sanding will need lots of work but im headed in the right direction ..
    Congratulations now you are wondering why it took you so long to try it.
    Next step is air powered orbital sander.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, if you give it a few days, I`m sure we`ll have a certain member stop in and visit this thread to tell you how you`re doing it wrong. (I know, I shouldn`t stir the pot....)

I would have figured you`d already been a master at wetsanding.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

theres always someone badder out there .. im just stepping up my game again .. my friend just got his hood painted and asked if i could colorsand it so its put up or shut up .. im gonna put up ..i never really needed to do this before but i think its good to know how and ill be practicing ..no im not gonna colorsand every car i detail from now on
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

theres always someone badder out there .. im just stepping up my game again .. my friend just got his hood painted and asked if i could colorsand it so its put up or shut up .. im gonna put up ..i never really needed to do this before but i think its good to know how and ill be practicing ..no im not gonna colorsand every car i detail from now on
    Ron,

Your a smart man for taking the learning lesson on, it can only make you better because of it. I learned this in primarily from my father (RIP) he painted all of our farm equipment and also my 66 Mustang. This was all single stage paint but we wet sanded a lot. Today I have done it a few times but if I did it much more I would want a paint gauge, I currently do not have one, but with sanding you would want to know what`s on the car and what you are taking off as you go.

Its to risk other wise IMO

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

i hear ya dave . the hood im gonna do has lots of paint and clear on it .. i can get by on most scratches with a good compound and my makita . you know i spend money on equipment so i will get a paint gauge when i get some dough rollin in ..the rain killed me last month but im getting lots of calls again .. i lost most of my customers when my back was hurt for 2 yrs plus i moved 30 mi away but its all coming back with word of mouth and craigslist has been working because ive learned what to post and what days and time of day to post ..
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

i hear ya dave . the hood im gonna do has lots of paint and clear on it .. i can get by on most scratches with a good compound and my makita . you know i spend money on equipment so i will get a paint gauge when i get some dough rollin in ..the rain killed me last month but im getting lots of calls again .. i lost most of my customers when my back was hurt for 2 yrs plus i moved 30 mi away but its all coming back with word of mouth and craigslist has been working because ive learned what to post and what days and time of day to post ..
    BR

Send me your ideas on the CL add and what you are posting. I have not had that great a result with mine

Thanks

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

post on fri afternoon or sat morning ..autos for sale has been the one that works best for me and post pictures of your work .. i tried the long winded explanations of my services and got nothing ..kept it simple like black/ red vehicles w/ swirl marks no prob and boom they started calling
    back in buisness baby
    Likes Rockysdetailing liked this post

Thread Information