Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How Wetsanding is Done

Just thought in light of recent discussions on this issue, I`d post up this amazing work I saw over at another site.

91 hr extreme detail by Immaculate Reflections - extremely pic heavy 280+ beware - Autopia.org

I don`t have anything to do with the poster or the vehicle, but give him all the credit. This is some amazing, labor intensive work.

No way you can wetsand like this (correctly) in 2-3 hours. {The wetsanding alone took 55 hours on this particular resto} No way you`d have gotten all of that out just using polish and a polisher - not effectively anyway. Wetsanding is the most efficient way I know of to remove bad marring and defects as well as orange peel.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Wetsanding is Done

Amazing. Now thats passion right there

Post Thanks / Like

Why did it take so long to do? I could hammer out a full wet sand, compound, and polish/glaze in about six hours on that car.
    Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

I would have killed myself, 91 hours on the same car is too much for me. He did an incredible job though, gotta hand it to him.

Post Thanks / Like

well it is a nice job. if you did read his comment`s it took him longer as he has "never " wet sanded a car before and it was a learning process for him. it also took that length of time as you can see by the photos he took the car completely apart including all of the interior. I t is a fine job. But I see most of you guys on here do cars for yourself and are not professionals in that you make your living doing it on a daily basis.
    I will post some photos of a 560 SL that is in my shop now , that is is just as bad as this T/A. and I did not wet sand any of the paint. the paint has it`s issues, chips etc. So i guess with you guys the proof is in the pudding

Post Thanks / Like

you need to wet sand fresh paint in 24 hours, not 90 days......it will be to hard and possibly leave heavy sanding marks. For best results ..sand when the paint is soft with 2000 grit and polish
    LOST YOUR GLOSS ? COME GLOW WITH US !

Post Thanks / Like

That was more of a restoration project than a detail IMO. I will agree that it was very very extensive and well done and documented

I would have to wonder what the cost was for the work alone, not counting the work done on the inside
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

On a repaint with DuPont clear coat you can sand it 3 hours after spraying.

If you think spending 90 hours on a car is bad try restoring an old car we are talking years not hours.

Weekend Warrior RyansAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah i know people who have restored and fully stripped and detailed older cars over 1 year in length maybe 2 years from the point they got these cars back on the road

so for this restoration/detail 90 hours is very impressive with the extent of work done by hand !

also noticed a porter cable in a few pics so im assuming he did not have a rotary polisher for this project

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice I want to wet sand something for some reason now. I have no experience so maybe I`ll start on my dads lawn mower. I had no clue you could bring something back in that poor of condition into that by wetsanding. Does it take all the clear off when you do this?
    Hudd`s Mobile Auto Detailing
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

Post Thanks / Like

I see the wet sand senerio continues. 91 hours is way to much. i just did a show car last week, I took my time as that kind of perfection makes your arms fall off steady getin it. total time was about 8 hours for it to be slick as glass

Post Thanks / Like

How many times are you going to resurrect this thread only to point out that you think he took too much time or did it wrong? Just when we all think it`s safe to share our ideas and make posts, you crawl out of the woodwork to tell us all how wrong and incompetent we are! Unless you were there first hand to evaluate the vehicle, how on earth do you know if 90 hours was "way to much?"
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

well don`t you think honestly,,,,,,,that is a bit too much time , I mean really Jared. I commented earlier he did a great job ! like month`s ago .lol However "if" your doing this for a living 90 hours is a long time.........and unless your charging about $10,000.00, for this I see that one is not a good businessman .is all i am saying.
    If your doing it for "fun" or learning how to do it properly......well then hey take all the time you need.Now do you understand my point ? jus sayin ...........

Post Thanks / Like

90 hours is waaaaaaaaaaay to much time . maybe he exagerrated a little ..its ok i mean its been done before so i dont consider him a detail god .. nice job on a tore up car for sure
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

Ive done resto/details like this many times, and in a case like this it can absolutly take 90hours if your not used to or not equipped to do this level of work. From a business aspect you`ll probobly loose your ass every time, but I dont think thats the case the man who posted the pics was trying to make. Everyone has their own techniques for wetsanding. This guy went over the entire vehical I believe 3 times with differant grit. I personally dont see the need in that if you have good compound and a rotary, but to each his own. He done a great job and I hope he got paid very well for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information