Post Thanks / Like

Sealer, Wax or Both ?

I have a car that is only driven for pleasure. It is always garaged, never sees the rain and when sitting for an extended period of time is covered with a Dustop car cover. I purchased the Blackfire WD sealer & MS wax for the Wet Ice over Fire combo but what I`m wondering is if the wax is really necessary?
    I love how slick the paint is after applying the WD sealer and it seems like after MS wax the paint feels sticky and attracts dust like a magnet. The only time my car gets wet is when I wash it so is a couple coats of WD sealer good enough or should I follow up with MS wax as a final topper ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealer, Wax or Both ?

If all your looking for is protection then all you need is the sealant. If you`re going to a car show or really just want to make your paint really glow, then add the wax. The wax will only last a couple weeks at best, while the sealant you can get months out of

Post Thanks / Like

I love the look of wet ice over fire, but bfwd looks great as a stand alone. it`s easy to refresh with BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Polymer Spray or http://www.autopia-carcare.com/black...l#.U4oB3pVOXcs, but honestly, it`s so easy to apply and remove, an extra coat of bfwd is even better.

Post Thanks / Like

what if you added a OTC product like meguirs gold class wax for a little more protection than BF wax or are they both about the same in terms of protection ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silver2kws6 View Post
    what if you added a OTC product like meguirs gold class wax for a little more protection than BF wax or are they both about the same in terms of protection ?
    Gold Class adds richness to the finish, it darkens a bit and is quite noticeable on whites. My experience is that BF Midnight Sun also gives that carnauba glow but doesn`t darken as noticeably. My gut says it lasts longer than Gold Class just like my gut tells me that Souveran looks great but doesn`t last long. What I`m simply saying is that I don`t have empirical data to back up these statements but I know what I`ve experienced.

A decade ago I used and really liked Gold Class, duration wasn`t an issuue in my mind. I still don`t look at duration as a primary criteria but don`t wax every week as I once did. I still like to use a carnauba but frequently do it on top of a sealant. I don`t see Gold Class as being in the same league as BlackFire`s product but opinions are subjective.

I haven`t noted MS to be a dust magnet but I do believe waxes in general attract more dust than sealants. I always had problems with Mother`s waxes and to some extent Gold Class attracting dust and on the other end of the spectrum P21S as attracting very little. I think it`s also another truth that waxes that are heavy on fillers attract more dust.

I also think PoorBoy`s waxes are a heck of a value. I really like the Red and the Blue in their line. Super easy to use.

Just my 2 cents.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I would try a panel and find out.

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of necessity.. You don`t need to top a sealant with a wax, nor do you need to use a sealant instead of a wax... Either one, by itself, will be fine, as long as it is applied frequently enough to keep the surface protected.

What makes the Wet-Ice over Fire combination unique is the fact that wax was engineered to actually bond to the sealant. It really "bites in" into the Wet Diamond layer, so you get the gloss and protection of the sealant and the warm, wet carnauba glow of a carnauba.

There are plenty of reviews of users who have used each product as a stand alone, and each is very highly rated. When combined together, the synergistic effect is outstanding. It really is a unique look that, IMO, is stunning.

Post Thanks / Like

I decided this year to just use the MS wax on the hood, front bumper, and side mirrors to further protect against bugs eating through my sealant layer of BFWD and BFCS. BFMS definitely darkens the paint and you can tell as soon as you do your first section and compare to the neighboring sections. I`ll plan on reapplying the BFMS every few washes to these sections. I use BFPS in between as well so I have some good layering going to protect the first layer sealant of BFWD. I don`t have any problems with BFMS attracting more dust than the surrounding panels that don`t have it applied.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great feedback. After polishing out my car over the weekend I just finished my second coat of BFWD sealer tonight and will go ahead and apply the BFMS tomorrow. I have read lot`s of great reviews on this combo and want to test it myself to see how well it works over the coarse of time. I`m really impressed with how vibrant the color is at this point and can`t wait to see how it look`s with the BFMS topper.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a forest green with gold metallic flake `69 Firebird. I used BFWD. It was very shiny and had that plastic look. I topped with BFMS and could not believe the warm glow it gave. Yes, I guess you could say it darkened it but the warmth of the glow is outstanding and gorgeous IMO!
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Thread Information