Post Thanks / Like

opticoat over black ice

wanna use this combo on the wifes jet black bmw. anyone done this yet. what were your results. is it necessary to put a coating over black ice... opinions please

Post Thanks / Like

Re: opticoat over black ice

Quote Originally Posted by glfahlc1 View Post
    wanna use this combo on the wifes jet black bmw. anyone done this yet. what were your results. is it necessary to put a coating over black ice... opinions please
    IMHO - it wouldn`t wok putting a coating over wax. (but i`m a hack so what do I know) But if it works I know what I`m doing next
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Opti coat will only last as long as the material it bonds to. If it bonds directly to the paint, it will last as long as the paint is there. If it bonds to black ice, it will wear away with the black ice. It would be a waste of opti coat to do it in that order IMO

You could try black ice on top of opti coat. Not sure what kind of durability you would get from the black ice in this case though.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like trying different waxes or if you are happy with Black Ice a coating is not for you sir.

Post Thanks / Like

Coating over wax is a bad idea. Wax over coating bad idea. Either choose one or the other, not both. You can, but you`d just be wasting opti coat. A coating is a permanent/semi permanent layer that needs completely bare paint to bond too. Putting it over a wax is a waste. And if you wax on a coating, you`re just wasting the benefits a coating provides.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfahlc1 View Post
    This will never work..

You either want the extreme gloss of Black Ice or the not so extreme gloss of a permanent coating like Opti-Coat...

Everyone`s comment above is right on..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

The BlackICE will prevent the Opti-Coat from bonding correctly. What`s more, the strong solvents in Opti-Coat will loosen some of the BlackICE, creating a streaky mess that is going to be very difficult to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone for your quick replies.... gotta go with the black ice. got other cars for the opticoat

Post Thanks / Like

I`m wondering about black ice over CQ UK

(sorry for the thread hijack, but it seemed an appropriate place)
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I`m wondering about black ice over CQ UK

(sorry for the thread hijack, but it seemed an appropriate place)
    Please dont OC over BI! BTW Ron top CQ with either hydro or reload! Waxing over it gets really messy... And streaky. Hydro is my choice to top!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Please dont OC over BI! BTW Ron top CQ with either hydro or reload! Waxing over it gets really messy... And streaky. Hydro is my choice to top!
    Hydro in FL summer is not a great idea, unless I do car at night. I have both though.

I am surprised at how non-slick the surface is. SO mebbe reload, or wait till evening

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you I would rock that car naked for a while and let it really cure out before I put anything on the surface. Bake it in the hot FL sun really good.

Hydro in FL summer is not a great idea, unless I do car at night. I have both though.

I am surprised at how non-slick the surface is. SO mebbe reload, or wait till evening

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    If I were you I would rock that car naked for a while and let it really cure out before I put anything on the surface. Bake it in the hot FL sun really good.
    been 6 days already, but ok

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron coating never get as slick as say wet diamond. They all seem a little bit tacky to me compared to traditional stuff. Hydro will help more than reload for slickness if thats what your going for!

Thread Information